Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

I didnt say it wasnt the right way to play Max  ;)

I agree with you very similar in styles between the two boys you mentioned though maybe on a different level.

The whole system needs to be bought into by the whole team and this is something that Antrim have struggled with down the years, me thinks there might one or two ego's to many in this current squad but will wait to see.

johnneycool

Certainly if the centre back plays deep in front of the fullback line can keep the score down and you'll get away with it against the lesser teams. Also if a team is carrying a particularly good fullforward line it should cut out possession getting that far, but you'll conceed possession further out the field.
Brick Walsh was doing this against Kilkenny this year and was relatively successful at it until Eddie Brennan was dispatched out the field into the space where the Kilkenny backs were able to pick him out and then he in turn fed the wings, away from Walsh, which led to a flurry of scores.

It's a tactic which asks a huge amount of the midfielders, to cover three men in a lot of space as well as the forwards ensuring that the defenders don't get their heads up enough to pick out the spare man.
I'd have hoped that Antrim wouldn't have been that overly concerned about the scoring threat of Carlow even though they're an improving side but maybe Dinny wants to ingrane this tactic for bigger battles ahead.

imtommygunn

Is it the way Karl plays or a tactic though?

Personally I like the job he does at CHB.

I don't think anyone else could play it as well as him bar McManus but we need him elsewhere. If the looseness became a problem Graffin could go in there.

He's our best man marker though so I'd prefer to see him in corner back.

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 22, 2010, 10:05:43 PM
Is it the way Karl plays or a tactic though?

Personally I like the job he does at CHB.

I don't think anyone else could play it as well as him bar McManus but we need him elsewhere. If the looseness became a problem Graffin could go in there.

He's our best man marker though so I'd prefer to see him in corner back.

I think Graffin ended up there yesterday
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Two Hands FFS

Karl started playing centre half in Dinnys 1st reign. It was Dinnys tactic that he held his position. Alot of the top centre halfs play like that- Curran,mcgrath-they dont like getting dragged away as it leaves of space in front of the FB. Back in 02 to 04 antrims best line was the HBL with karl,herron & micky monty! Graffin better in the corner,not strong enough for CHB

NAG1

Anyone care to pick a championship team from the current squad?
I know its early but just wondering what people are thinking even at this stage.

I'll give it a go.

G McGhee

A Graffin - C Donnelly - B McFall

C Heron - K McKeegan - N McAuley

N McManus --- Simon McCrory

K Stewart - L Watson – P Magill

P Shileds – J McIntosh – S McNaughton

Not overly happy with several selections but thats my first attempt.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: NAG1 on February 23, 2010, 12:16:11 PM
I know its early but just wondering what people are thinking even at this stage.

I'll give it a go.

G McGhee

I'd agree with the majority of that team.  Being a Loughgiel man I'd have places for Johnny Campbell and Neil McGarry in the backline though.

aontroim

After last night's county committee meeting an appeal/request from Lamh Dhearg to be entered into Div 2 Hurling was approved - 9 team Div 2 this year - knock on coming lower down the leagues - Cushendun now avoid relegation and stay in Div 3.

in JHC there was no re-draw as St. Brigids Belfast pulled out of adult hurling, and so Cloughmills took their spot in the first round.

imtommygunn

Where were lamh dhearg meant to be? Had they been relegated or something?

aontroim

They were relegated from the large 16 team Div 2/3 a couple of yrs ago and last year could have been promoted if they hadn't tried to call off games etc to ensure their footballers were promoted - hurlers would have been in Div 3 if the appeal had failed.

the colonel

Quote from: north aontroim gael on February 23, 2010, 12:40:03 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on February 23, 2010, 12:16:11 PM

I'll give it a go.

G McGhee

I'd agree with the majority of that team.  Being a Loughgiel man I'd have places for Johnny Campbell and Neil McGarry in the backline though.

After watching the game at the weekend one thing that I noticed was a severe lack of strength. Thats a very weak full forward line. I would definately have shorty in the team but I heard he was going to take a break, any of the Dunloy lads share a bit on this? Would have shorty at Midfield if he's available. Simon McCrory wing forward with Paddy Richmond in full forward line with Shane and Tosh

Paddy McGill should be no where near it. Hasn't hurled anything for us for quite a while. Wouldnt be sure between Hippy and Neilly at full back
the difference between success and failure is energy

NAG1

I take your points on board, I just was going on what was available at the minute.

I heard that PR was quitting and I dont see him putting in another season with the county, its maybe time to try and concentrate on club hurling for him. Could be wrong though.

SMcC has to be moved further out the field this way by the time he actually hits the ball it might go to one of our forwards rather than wide.

Agree with you PM loads of talent with a bit of an attitude problem even for Cushendall.

Full back is a problem went with what I felt was the stronger of the two, both being similar in that they are slow.

the colonel

I thought Simon was better when he went to MF but I think in long term, shorty is a more intelligent option to back up Neil. Simon also ran around pushing people and getting involved in a serious amount of arguements.

If Magills playing well then he's a good option. Great score taker from play when he's on form, if he's not then you may forget about him.

Kieran McGourty could be put in the full back line with Sean Delargy adamant that he won't return. Hopefully Neil McAuley is over all his injury problems

NAG1

I think you mean Kevin and I believe he is short is at this level.

the colonel

Quote from: NAG1 on February 23, 2010, 03:27:02 PM
I think you mean Kevin and I believe he is short is at this level.

No, Kieran that played corner back for Antrim last year