Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpower

I have to say i like the way karl plays CHB, i think of the 6 backs its the one position where marking your man isn't the first priority.  To me good positional sense is the key to being a good centre half back.  Gary O'Kane is a fine example of such.  

all the top CHB in the country hold there position and influence the game from there, sure look at the AI final of 2005 alot of KK folk blamed that defeat on Peter Barry (a natural wing back) going with his man out to the wngs and opening gaps of Jerry O'Connor, Tom kenny etc to race through
What happens next????

Vlad The Impaler

Quote from: maxpower on March 30, 2007, 03:26:19 PM
I have to say i like the way karl plays CHB, i think of the 6 backs its the one position where marking your man isn't the first priority.  To me good positional sense is the key to being a good centre half back.  Gary O'Kane is a fine example of such.  

all the top CHB in the country hold there position and influence the game from there, sure look at the AI final of 2005 alot of KK folk blamed that defeat on Peter Barry (a natural wing back) going with his man out to the wngs and opening gaps of Jerry O'Connor, Tom kenny etc to race through

So as long as you set up some attacks and clear balls to hell with what your man is doing? Interesting viewpoint......

youngfella

nice observation max. but didnt kilkenny lose that final because of the cork quick puckouts? and the awareness of there players???

karl is one of the best chb in the country he should be kept in this postion, me thinks
Pull hard and early

maxpower

You lose a match for a whole host of reasons combined, i said alot of KK folk attributed that loss in good part to the Space in the centre of KK defence caused by Peter Barry instinct to mark.

Alot of people would disagree with me and would encourage the CHB to mark the CHF but in my teams i encourage the CHB to read the game, and get in positions to a, avert the dangerous attacks and b, get in positions to take the bal of other defenders in trouble. 

To ask your CHB to man mark in my opinion takes away alot offensively from a team, obviously there will be plenty of situations in a game where the no11 is the danger and the CHB should mark him.  its judging these situations and making the decisions which sets out the really top CHB. 

What happens next????

youngfella

which brings use nicely back to the question who should antrim play in chb? karl is the man for the job in my opinion! however its chf and full back that we need to fill, suggestions on a postcard to the cluckle brothers, casement bar, belfast
Pull hard and early

theskull1

If you get a name for being an early riser, you can lie all day
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Noname

so it doesnt really matter what the CHF scores then

and btw i would prefer my CHB to be good under a dropping ball, said player is far from that.

youngfella

I agree noname CHB has to have a good hand or be able to pull on the ball in the air everytime and the CHF doesnt have to score as allow as he lays the ball of and the other forwards score.
Pull hard and early

youngfella

Slan boys, have a good weekend.

abu aontroim keep the faith
Pull hard and early

The Truth

There was a time not that long ago when Ryan Mc Naughton was playing for Cushendall and Karl was CHB for Antrim but could not get a place in the Cushendall halfback line.....I remember Micky Monty, Figsy and Elliott was their half back line and someone from Cushendall told me they thought that was their best half back line.......
"We serve neither King nor Kaiser"

William_Ulsterman

Hurling is just hockey with no rules.  :D
"The people of Ulster"

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Blacksheep

Why are Antrim the only County with separate Hurling & Football threads? May explain why you are shite at both?
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: Blacksheep on March 31, 2007, 09:10:30 PM
Why are Antrim the only County with separate Hurling & Football threads? May explain why you are shite at both?

I think we will treat a cocksucker like you with the contempt you deserve.....
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

Syd The Sailor

Anyone hear if the team has been announced for Limerick game today?
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"