Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: youngfella on March 30, 2007, 11:41:13 AM
unlike syd i wont pretend i was there ;) i heard the shams choked again( long may it continue) However i think that you can get over fear that some of people have, what else is sports psychology therefore??

Oh i was at it alright and it was about as big a capitulation as i have seen in a while. When things got tight in the 2nd half all Loughguiles big county men vanished.......
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

youngfella

I really want to know what the loughgiel managers said in the changing room!! " its yours now just take it easy ", " dont fight for every ball save your energy for the piss up in the pound". the dall managers in comparsion had it easy a simple "are you going to let them do this to you" would have done!! what SHAMbles :D
Pull hard and early

podge

just following on from my comment yesterday about the lack of quality forwards..

would it be an idea to play Sean Delargy up front.  I know he has been a revelation since he moved to corner bakc and was top player last year but now that his condidence is back and he is stronger he might make more of an impact back where he started in corner forward?  or am i robbing peter to pay paul?

easier to replace a back than find a good forward.  possiblt neal mc auley could fill in at corner back.

i also think that J Scullion will be a good option for the forwards when he has recovered from injury.

so here's a possible line up:

DD/Ryan
Barney
Mick Mc Cambridge
Neil Mc Auley
Mal Molloy
K Elliot (better in the centre- hasn;t the pace for the wing)
C Herron
J Campbell/D McKillip
K McKeegan
M Herron
Mc manus
J Scullion
Tosh
P Richmond
S Delargy

Subs

Shane Mc N
Mc Falls, Barry and Brian
Nipper
Shiels
Stewart
Donal McNaughton
L Richmond (if he recovers and gets in shape)
Pinky

Ruairi Og exile

Podge if I was to move Sean up front you would have to see how he got on at club level first, it would be interesting though.It was his decision making that was affecting him in forwards & the move to corner back has improved his confidence no end. Personally for Cushendall i'd leave him in CB cos his pace gets us out of alot of problems.

youngfella

Oooo is joey injured?? podge i dont agree with playing mc manus in 11, hes good but has to much to learn at the minute, he was a brilliant minor but isnt ready for senior, espically not at number 11. someone with more expenicence should be there to control play.
Pull hard and early

theskull1

milltown, I sent you a PM
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Glensman

Diasgree youngfella, McManus was our best forward on Wednesday night. A bit of poor decision making here and there but was very good, good stuck in and showed good skills.

Pinky in my mind is a full back. He may do rightly at centre half forward for Ballycastle but good players can adapt like that for club hurling.
I would have him in full back and move Mickey McC out to half back.

Sean Delargy was a great juvenile forward but you would be robbing peter to play paul to be honest. That infuriates me and has long been a part of Antrim and more specifically as I see it Loughgeil's failure. If a corner forward is playing well, has taken a couple of scores and looks confidents and the centre half forward isn't playing well its often the case up here that the corner forward gets moved out, the centre half hits the road and a new cold corner forward comes in. Now we don't have the luxury yet of having cover in every position but we should not jeopardise some playing well and someone should be brought off the bench to replace the guy not playing well.

My Team for what it is worth:
DD Quinn (would actually have Gareth Magee but there are commitment issues)
Barney
Pinky
Sean Delargy
Mickey McC
Malachy Molloy
Ciaran Herron
Karl
DMcKillop
Michael Herron
McManus
AnOther (I really can't decide this one - would have Aidan Delargy but he's not there)
Tosh
Richmond
Shields

Malachy Molloy is a better wing back but Antrim need to accomodate both him and McCambridge.
The team also goes against what I said about Karl McK being a centre half back.

Joey Scullion maybe does eat, sleep and breath hurling but I disagree about the point that he has pace. If he, as several people have said, doesn't like CLOSE attention then it might be the case he is not ready yet.

milltown row

youngfella

pniky cant mark a man, but whens hes fit he is hard to stop in foward and take shot and spread the play about, like last year. As for mc manus he heard he played well against the dubs but was he not invisble against the stronger teams?? He's strong but not expereniced enough.

Job opening antrim senior hurling positon number 11apply to the the chukle brothers, aka sambo an woody
Pull hard and early

theskull1

did you milltown? haven't received anything yet 25mins later...can it take that long?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: youngfella on March 30, 2007, 02:24:42 PM
pniky cant mark a man, but whens hes fit he is hard to stop in foward and take shot and spread the play about, like last year. As for mc manus he heard he played well against the dubs but was he not invisble against the stronger teams?? He's strong but not expereniced enough.

Job opening antrim senior hurling positon number 11apply to the the chukle brothers, aka sambo an woody

Greg O'Kane is still the best number 11 in Antrim by a long shot IMO, I haven't seen anyone comparable for a long time.

Vlad The Impaler

Quote from: youngfella on March 30, 2007, 02:24:42 PM
pniky cant mark a man, but whens hes fit he is hard to stop in foward and take shot and spread the play about, like last year.

Pinky cant mark his man, Karl Mc Keegan has been playing CHB for years and not marking his man.........But sure as long as he clears a few balls

youngfella

you need to mark your man playing full back or else you may aswell standing on the line with keeper!!! chb is a totally different position. o'kane is a good shout for number 11, who else could fill that role? on the subject of converting backs to forwards could we not try it with a more experience member of the team brave bit of reponsabilty to be placing on mc manus, why not try johnny campbell? before ya get out the diggers think about it he knows the way the squad plays and hes expereniced at this level.
Pull hard and early

Vlad The Impaler

Quote from: youngfella on March 30, 2007, 03:05:02 PM
you need to mark your man playing full back or else you may aswell standing on the line with keeper!!! chb is a totally different position.

CHB may be a totally different position but your first job is to stop your man influencing the game, you cant let the man run riot the way Mc Keegan has been prone to doing.

youngfella

we are talking about full back. while of the subject of the back line, allow me to explain the most important thing i have learnt, i can only speak for myself. To be a good back you need to be first to the ball, to be a great back you need to be first to the ball and be able to read the game. karl is a great player antrim best for a long long time the chukle brothers should stop moving him about and form a team around him
Pull hard and early