Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the colonel

Last Man I think that the helmets rule doesn't come into play in the club championship semi's and finals. However it will come in for like of walsh cup etc from January. Not 100% sure, thought I heard it a wee while ago
the difference between success and failure is energy

Minder

Quote from: the colonel on October 01, 2009, 04:36:51 PM
Last Man I think that the helmets rule doesn't come into play in the club championship semi's and finals. However it will come in for like of walsh cup etc from January. Not 100% sure, thought I heard it a wee while ago

I thought it was Jan 1st Colonel but makes more sense to introduce it at the beginning of each competition.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

maxpower

Not so sure myself, my reading of the rule is the with efect from the 1st January all players must wear the helmet, no mention of competitions from the previous year yet to complete, hopefully the GAA will clarify this for whichever team come from Ulster

Will this new rule affect Dunloy more than most clubs with Magee, Kevin M, Damien McM, Nancy, Paddy R & Ally players who don't wear helmets

Personally i don't think they needed to introduce this rule so soon, it could have been due to be enforced in say 2/3 years time.  Give plenty of warning to th underage hurlers so thy continue the good habit of wearing it at senior level and allow players like our own and the Ken McGrath's/Dan Shanahans/Mick kavanghs to finish there careers in their time.  might force a few unnessary retirements
What happens next????

Last Man

I'd say its purely a financial decision from the insurers who will be putting savage pressure on the powers that be in Croke park. Hard to argue when you look at Ken McGrath and Dan Shanahan's film star smiles, although their remedial dental work wouldn't have cost too much.

the colonel

diarmuid o sullivan already said he was gonna quit over the helmet rule, AD was only outfield player not to wear a faceguard, all wore helmets (apart from Ronan in goals).

bredaghgael86

Would it be fair to say that the majority of players nowadays wear the helmet already, with only a few 'lunatics' opting not to.  i no that the older players are used to not wearing one, but imo its a bit rash to be retiring over.  id say in the next 2 years helmets will become alot better, with faceguards being adapted to give the maximum vision possible.  just takes a bit of getting used to. how many in each of your teams currently dont wear the helmet.  we would only have 3 that i can think of in a panel of 40 that dont wear it now.

milltown row

johnneycool

took to wearing the helmet with a faceguard in the recent three or fours years after a decade or more of wearing nothing. (Many's a sunday night spent in the Royal's, City and Dundonalds A&E department) and only find two issues with them.

When it's hot, my eyes are burnt out of me with the sweat and I still struggle to see the ball if it's in and around my feet as the big foam chin pad jams against your chest. and you're trying to bend down and look over it.

We've an eejit who had an old cooper hanging to bits with the usual cable tyes, bailer twine and his Ma (this lad is touching 30) bought him a new one for his birthday. The eejit went and took the faceguard off it (leaving two very raggedy rivets exposed) so it won't be any use to him next year  ::)

milltown row

aye when i started teaching i thought i'd better look after my gub. tried the face guard and hated it, not for the vision problems but the heat that Johnny was saying. too fecking warm!!

i've a right few scars though all in the usual places, above the lip, below the eye and two above each eye!!! and one on the head i got while i was a sub at an under 16 match at Corrigan.

cost the insurance people nothing so don't understand why its a cost thing

THE DADGA

Quote from: johnneycool on October 02, 2009, 02:49:31 PM
took to wearing the helmet with a faceguard in the recent three or fours years after a decade or more of wearing nothing. (Many's a sunday night spent in the Royal's, City and Dundonalds A&E department) and only find two issues with them.

When it's hot, my eyes are burnt out of me with the sweat and I still struggle to see the ball if it's in and around my feet as the big foam chin pad jams against your chest. and you're trying to bend down and look over it.

We've an eejit who had an old cooper hanging to bits with the usual cable tyes, bailer twine and his Ma (this lad is touching 30) bought him a new one for his birthday. The eejit went and took the faceguard off it (leaving two very raggedy rivets exposed) so it won't be any use to him next year  ::)

vasaline on the eyebrows stops that, cudn play in the summer without it!!!

Minder

Quote from: hardstation on October 03, 2009, 06:07:17 PM
Oh aye, congrats to the Doc.

I will second that. Married a good Glenariffe woman.

the colonel

Quote from: Minder on October 03, 2009, 06:31:19 PM

you'd be hard pushed to find a good glenariffe woman

Minder

Quote from: the colonel on October 04, 2009, 05:13:17 PM

Mmm........ your selector and veteran FF are both married to Glenariffe women............. ;)

the colonel

Quote from: Minder on October 04, 2009, 05:20:04 PM
Quote from: the colonel on October 04, 2009, 05:13:17 PM

Mmm........ your selector and veteran FF are both married to Glenariffe women............. ;)

always an exception to the rule, and that was a package deal

theskull1

The land was in her name
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera