Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

Our game is off tonight due to a death in Glenarm. Arthur Forsyth (past club president)

which brings me to my post, why do we continually call games off due to a death in the club?

it doesn't happen in other sports but, happens in Gaelic games at club level. it doesn't happen when county players are playing and their father dies (happened last year) that game was played and a minutes silence was done.

I'm not being disrespectfull of the dead. me personally should i pass away I'd like the game to be played in memory of me

the colonel

If there was ever a cause to cancel a game of a death, its for Arthur Forsythe.

Legend of a man who kept Glenarm running for years and years. Served as North Antrim Chairman also

RIP
the difference between success and failure is energy

anailís

Couldn't agree with you more Colonel.
Arthur Forsythe was a giant amongst Gaels who kept not only his own club Glenarm running for years, but also North Antrim.
Arthur had a supreme knowledge of the local clubs in North Antrim and the individuals who kept them going. A native of Glenarm, although he moved to Kilwaughter in later years, he could be more accurately have been described as a native of North Antrim, each parish was that close to his heart.
He would often be seen at an under-age game in the glens in one part of the day, before being present at an intermediate or senior game later that evening. He bore no animosity to any individual or any club, and was responsible for many young men continuing to play the game when their heads were turned by other sports. He was vehemently opposed to the influx of alcohol and drug abuse in more recent times, two things which he rightly believed were eroding our gaelic culture in north antrim.
He was an ambassador for the glens, especially his native area, following on in the footsteps of the likes of Eoin MacNeill, Roger Casement, Ada McNeill, and Joseph Bigger. Without people like Arthur, it's possible we would be going to watch Dunloy playing Glenariffe this evening at Loughgiel's soccer pitch.
These people are harder and harder to replace, and remind us all of our own faults when compared to him.
My condolences go out to his wife and his daughter.
Ní bheidh a léithéid arís ann.
Grásta ó Dhia ar a anam.

Queenie

Hi WBFFSREF

FFS relax.  Do you not think you are being a little buit hard about MR and Reilly.  I certainly agree with your comments about Hamill, by the way.  A really biig mistake if you ask me.
Are you a missionary or a mercenary?  Remember, tallk is cheap!

Tony Baloney

Dunloy by a point. Herbie helped them out of a tight spot near the end by harshly lining Tosh and giving them a couple of soft frees.

slow corner back

Sounds like it was a good game Tony any reports? Glenariffe must have given it a good lash.

imtommygunn

Who won the intermediate?

2-18 to 3-14 is a fairly high scoring game. You'd never have expected Glenarriffe to go so close.

wideball - ffs ref

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 29, 2009, 08:37:27 PM
Who won the intermediate?

2-18 to 3-14 is a fairly high scoring game. You'd never have expected Glenarriffe to go so close.

Intermediate postponed Tommy due to the death of Arthur Forsythe  (R.I.P.) - Shane O'Neils
Doc John, surely Hamill will not be that cheap!

imtommygunn

Minder

I wasnt at all surprised we ran then close, Dunloy are now a pale shadow of their great teams. We should have beaten them but were up against officiating carnage from Herbie. Sour grapes it may be but we were so close only to be fcuked up the ass by him. Dunloy needed Ally Elliott to score a cracking goal near the end to get back into it, Ally is still a deadly finisher. Skull - where was Paddy Richmond?

Oh and how Tosh isnt deemed good enough for inter county hurling is beyond me. He gave a masterclass tonight whilst being double teamed a lot of the time. Thought Mal Molloy was a great steadying influence for Dunloy.

Sick as a parrot as they say..........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Plain to see that the winner of the Championship will be decided tomorrow. Some people will be thinking tonight that Herbie deserved his medicine after the Feis. They'd be out of order though  ;)

Nemo

all i have to say is hard luck glenariife, really should have won.

but imo this again shows the standard as dropped significantly and i expect tonights match to confirm this again.

i would still expect Dunloy to raise their game for the final as so far they have been bad and should have been beaten by two poor teams.

as for tosh, again he is now (our) county standard due to the standard being so low.

something really has to been done about club hurling, are the officals so blind to see it,  i wish they would just do something rather than blame everyone around them.  clubs also have alot to answer for.

please, please let my 8 quid be worth it tonight as all the dosh i have spent so far hasnt been worth it.

Minder

Quote from: Nemo on August 30, 2009, 08:41:50 AM
all i have to say is hard luck glenariife, really should have won.

but imo this again shows the standard as dropped significantly and i expect tonights match to confirm this again.

i would still expect Dunloy to raise their game for the final as so far they have been bad and should have been beaten by two poor teams.

as for tosh, again he is now (our) county standard due to the standard being so low.

something really has to been done about club hurling, are the officals so blind to see it,  i wish they would just do something rather than blame everyone around them.  clubs also have alot to answer for.

please, please let my 8 quid be worth it tonight as all the dosh i have spent so far hasnt been worth it.

You will have to explain that, I must have missed something this past 20 years. When was the standard anything other than "low" ?

milltown row

will you be up for another crack at it next year Minder? would have been some final had you and Cushendall got to the final

Minder

Quote from: milltown row on August 30, 2009, 10:27:58 AM
will you be up for another crack at it next year Minder? would have been some final had you and Cushendall got to the final

It's a young team but I doubt if we will get as handy a run to a semi again. Young fella from Cushendall killed in a car accident last night outside Ballycastle, game later could be off if he is related to any of them.