Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the colonel

Wouldn't know who in the county would want the job and cant see from outside of antrim who would it (unless there is a nice wage with it)
the difference between success and failure is energy

theskull1

Quote from: wideball - ffs ref on August 24, 2009, 04:20:21 PM
Wrong on two counts!  I do hail from Loughgeil and I was at Casement last night also.

Not too many bogball men from your part of the world wideball? In fact you could count them on one thumb.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

wideball - ffs ref

Quote from: theskull1 on August 24, 2009, 04:24:56 PM
Lets be clear here

Rebuilding "Antrim hurling" will take more than a good appointment at County Level.
We need an administration that takes on board the frustrations of the playing population in terms of the how club games are fitted around county preparations in May/June/July which means weeks of inactivity and then all hell breaks loose in August. Unless you are a dyed in the wool hurling man you wouldn't stand for that especially when you know the effort required from Jan/Feb time. We also need an administration that accepts that without improvements in the standard of the club/school game accross all county then improvements at County level will be a pipe dream regardless of who takes it on.

But we /they have a record of making the same mistakes and have this over inflated notion of where we should be on the hurling map whilst ignoring the reality that the foundations of the game are being eroded by the way the game is controlled by intercounty preparations.

Could'nt agree more Skull.  But having the right man at the helm, without the county hurling/political baggage, in my view is also a must.  Having somone totally unattached to anyone given club in the county is a positive step in the right direction.

Bogball, camogie, hurling, handball.   I am GAA all rounder Skull.  But first preference, the small ball!
Doc John, surely Hamill will not be that cheap!

johnneycool

From the hoganstand:

Sambo' makes a case for Leinster entry
24 August 2009

Terence 'Sambo' McNaughton wants the Antrim minor and under 21 hurling teams to follow their senior counterparts into the Leinster championship.

Speaking in the wake of the Saffrons' heavy Bord Gais Energy All-Ireland under 21 semi-final defeat to Kilkenny on Saturday, the joint-manager said: "It's not much use to win games in Ulster by 25 points and then be at the receiving end of hidings from teams like Galway.

"After 125 years, the GAA still has not come up with the fairest way of running its championships.

"With so many one-sided hurling games over the last few years, I'm scared for the future of hurling. It seems to be going in the same direction as the Scottish League in soccer with only two teams in contention every year."

Patrolling the Antrim sideline for possibly the last time, McNaughton added: "We didn't get the scores when we needed them and then Kilkenny opened up in the second half and showed us where we are.

"We had only one training session since winning the Ulster final at the end of July because the players were with their clubs and whoever is in charge next year will need to try to improve that situation."

Question;

If antrim were to go into Leinster at both minor and U-21 would they forsake the easier ride through Ulster, straight into an AI quarterfinal or semi-final as the case may be to get better competition in Leinster but maybe get caught short in an earlier round?
Can't see it myself.

theskull1

As much as I loved watching the Clare Galway game on Saturday, I do think that this is a crazy time of year to be having the All Ireland U21 championship. Would love to know how these boys prepared with their clubs/county at this period assuming that championships are bing run off everywhere.

Quote"We had only one training session since winning the Ulster final at the end of July because the players were with their clubs and whoever is in charge next year will need to try to improve that situation."

Would like to hear sambo develop that statement to understand what he meant. Surely he understands the plights of clubs preparing for championship along with the AC & Ulster league games fixed after Antrims exit?

maxpower

I would think they would take it too be honest,

I think appearances in AI QF and SF at minor and u21 don't mean alot to most, when it took little effort to get there and little chance of success,

far better being in Leinster and being competitive in early stages with likes of Westmeath, Laois etc and building until we are regularly beating the Wexfords of this world before we should be faced with the cats

Moving to leinster at u21 would need to come as part of a package with improved club activity and a focus on our schools/uni teams. a bottom up approach
What happens next????

hurlingspeed

It's disappointing to see Antrim hurling slide further into decline but is a messiah at the helm of the senior team going to be the answer???  I think not...had Donal O'Grady or Brian Cody been in charge, would 2009 have turned out any better???

In my opinion something drastic needs to be done expecially in the city.  How many coaches are employed to coach hurling in Belfast's schools??  How many are there coaching in the rest of the county's schools for that matter??  I'm not sure of these figures, but I'm sure it pales in comparison to what's going on in Dublin for example.

In Kilkenny, if you go to X primary school you play for X club; if you go to Y primary school you play for Y club...whether you're from a rural or urban area.  I know people from the city will see this as a pie in the sky idea especially given the history and tradition of its clubs but I feel that drastic times call for drastic measures.  A long term plan is a must if antrim are to come out of free-fall...what actual plans are there in place for the development of hurling in Antrim as a whole??  I know in North Antrim a lot of work is being done, but what of the city??

JamesH

From last years team that started the AI against La Salle, Aiden Delargy, Brian Delargy, Kevin Elliott, Declan mc Killop, and Paddy Magill, all in my book as good as or as important to us as Loughgiel's missing players, Monty not fit to start yet but will come on at some stage. A few young lads will play who have played well recently. Looking forward to a good match.
The Dunloy match will be intresting, as Oisins have forwards that could do damage to most teams but their defence is not as good, Dunloy by 5. The Dall by 7

Last Man

Quote from: theskull1 on August 24, 2009, 04:24:56 PM
Lets be clear here

Rebuilding "Antrim hurling" will take more than a good appointment at County Level.
We need an administration that takes on board the frustrations of the playing population in terms of the how club games are fitted around county preparations in May/June/July which means weeks of inactivity and then all hell breaks loose in August. Unless you are a dyed in the wool hurling man you wouldn't stand for that especially when you know the effort required from Jan/Feb time. We also need an administration that accepts that without improvements in the standard of the club/school game accross all county then improvements at County level will be a pipe dream regardless of who takes it on.

But we /they have a record of making the same mistakes and have this over inflated notion of where we should be on the hurling map whilst ignoring the reality that the foundations of the game are being eroded by the way the game is controlled by intercounty preparations.

Anyone had any dealings with Ciara Ferry, not sure what her title is but she is a full time official.
I hear she is fairly switched on and was involved in Dublin development for the last few years which must carry some weight. New ideas surely????

johnneycool

Quote from: hurlingspeed on August 24, 2009, 04:59:29 PM

In my opinion something drastic needs to be done expecially in the city.  How many coaches are employed to coach hurling in Belfast's schools??  How many are there coaching in the rest of the county's schools for that matter??  I'm not sure of these figures, but I'm sure it pales in comparison to what's going on in Dublin for example.

I'm not entirely sure how many full time coaches are employed in the Belfast area but there does seem to be a good few Belfast based coaches working full time for the Ulster council.
Surely these lads would be better employed in area's where they understand the territory and issues surrounding it.

milltown row

Working with kids from West Belfast is difficult. even the young kids in primary school aren't motivated at all. Areas like lower Falls, Beechmount and Grosvenor road have social problems that hit kids from the age of 4/5. other areas like Twinbrook and Poleglass also struggle, parts of whiterock/ballymurphy are also areas that need that big push.

One club that tackles these is Gortnamona. its a community/Parish club based in Belfast. I'd say 95% of the players live in the Turf Lodge estate (Hatchetfield will correct me if i'm wrong).

the Belfast coaches you speak of probably find that its easier for them to work in rural areas that Belfast. having worked with kids in West Belfast myself for a number of years. i know what its like

theskull1

Community/Parish to my mind is the structure/mindset that Belfast clubs (whatever way it can be achieved) should be working towards. Any development plan should have that notion at it's core before any investment is put into trying to develop the game. Develop teams of kids who come from the same area and will develop the comradary and pride in their local team and then you'll have more of them playing into senior with a "could give a fcuk" attitude. Get impartial coaches into the schools which traverse various club areas to ensure they instill the technical aspects of the game only. How some clubs/indivduals could be convinced of that is another thing but that probably my limited thinking on the subject.

The areas which have social problems will lack leadership qualities within the adult population, so recovering these areas would take some work/partnership with all bodies and is beyond me how or if it "could" be achieved with the right ammount of effort. Probably not but that could be my limited thinking on the subject.

milltown row

a radical change is needed, but long standing clubs like mine wont buy into it. as Skull has said, bringing in the community/parish ethos is a route that may have to be taken.

Kids that live in a certain estate all play for the one 'NEW CLUB' they can have surrogate club that they play championship for and eventually senior (that should keep the bigger clubs happy). Coaches will have a borough to look after and they develop links with the schools and be part of the school curriculum. regular competitions between these boroughs and rewards/incentives whatever it takes. these teams should play/train during the school year

Once a child is hooked on Gaelic games then you have them.

theskull1

As long standing as the likes of your club is milltown, do you not think the lack of support shown to the club game in Belfast in the terraces has been brought about by the fact that clubs have no allegiance to any area as kids are shipped in and shipped out. Only the die hards stick around. The current approach can't really be considered as the way forward. Change I'm sure would be very hard to swallow but I do think with the right considerations being taken into account that a new way of doing things needs to be developed by those who have the interests of the game at heart.

Would you not say though that in belfast at juvenile level that the interests of the club comes some way before the long term interest in the local game? If those hearts and minds are running the clubs then I don't hold out much hope of positive change.

the colonel

Hurling Championship Semi-finals Weekend
Saturday, 29th August at Loughgiel
IHC Shane O'Neill's v St. Gall's @ 5.00 p.m.
SHC Oisin's v Cuchullian's @ 6.30 p.m.
(taille £8, concessions £5)

Sunday, 30th August
JHC Kickham's Creggan v Cushendun @ 1.30 p.m. at Armoy
(taille £4)

JHC Davitt's v Rasharkin @ 1.30 p.m. at Casement
IHC St. Paul's v Lamh Dhearg @ 3.00 p.m. at Casement
(taille £5)

SHC Ruairi Og v Shamrocks @ 6.00 p.m. at Dunloy
(taille £8, concessions £5)
the difference between success and failure is energy