Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north aontroim gael

On a lighter note this video appears as a related video.

It is hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6xr0U5n9OM&feature=related 

some bad golfers in Loughgiel

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on August 11, 2009, 12:17:37 PM
The interesting thing about watching the video was that it took me 5 replays to see what ding did. Referees job is a nightmare

What number was Ding?

You could argue that there were a few badly timed shoulders leading up to the melee but skinners frontal was rightly blown up by the referee and would probably have resulted in nothing more than a yellow if the fullback hadn't got involved with skinner (not that I'd have done such a thing  ;) ). As for the Dunloy No5, he's the first to jab in the back with the hurl and IMO got his just desserts when he also got one in the back albeit with a lot more force. If you want to dish it out you got to be prepared to take some as well.

All in all that wasn't too bad and doesn't merit a whole pile of discussion let alone a witch hunt.

I've seen worse at an U-14 match.

anailís

Quote from: north aontroim gael on August 11, 2009, 12:28:51 PM

It is hilarious!

have to agree with you gael, they should stick to the hurling. what about the third shot, tiger rankin i think it was! absolutely class! :)

johnneycool

Quote from: anailís on August 11, 2009, 12:45:14 PM
Quote from: north aontroim gael on August 11, 2009, 12:28:51 PM

It is hilarious!

have to agree with you gael, they should stick to the hurling. what about the third shot, tiger rankin i think it was! absolutely class! :)

'get the ball into chopper'

Can't say I'd be much better myself TBH.

anailís

Quote from: johnneycool on August 11, 2009, 12:42:05 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 11, 2009, 12:17:37 PM
The interesting thing about watching the video was that it took me 5 replays to see what ding did. Referees job is a nightmare

What number was Ding?

You could argue that there were a few badly timed shoulders leading up to the melee but skinners frontal was rightly blown up by the referee and would probably have resulted in nothing more than a yellow if the fullback hadn't got involved with skinner (not that I'd have done such a thing  ;) ). As for the Dunloy No5, he's the first to jab in the back with the hurl and IMO got his just desserts when he also got one in the back albeit with a lot more force. If you want to dish it out you got to be prepared to take some as well.

All in all that wasn't too bad and doesn't merit a whole pile of discussion let alone a witch hunt.

I've seen worse at an U-14 match.

here here, johnney, i've seen some of those ards under14 matches between yourselves and the 'crans, and this is much tamer! you talk a lot of sense, i can't see how ding would have been the only one picked out of that incident. there'd be at least another four players worth mentioning if that was the case. but youre right, it was much fuss about nothing. how're things in the ards, when are the semis? who do you get, or what way does the draw work down there? i heard antrim u21 were to play the 'crans this week but not sure if it happened yet or not.

Glensman

Saw that NA Gael about the golf...their rounds must have taken a while on a wet day!

The incident
There was absolutely nothing wrong with what Damien McMullan did to come in with the shoulder after Skinner's first dirty tackle...that is part of our game but in permitting that then do the floodgates open??

Looking at the incident itself it would appear that Dunloy (through James McKeague?) hit the first dirty blow after Skinner's foul. But Loughgeil are just clearly better at the dirt (as evidenced by the two Dunloy men lying on the ground in the aftermath...and the Loughgeil man simply looking for a new stick!).

James McKeague hit Skinner in the back with the stick first which I think you have previously said Skull.
Whether Skinner's tackle was bad/worse and Gillan's the same they were both a reaction.
Took me a couple of views to see what Ding Gillen did as well, looks like he ran with a shoulder but clearly used the stick.

It goes back to a discussion on here or elsewhere, sticks should be used for hitting/going for the ball full stop...not jockeying for position, not digging your marker in the ribs to "get to know him" etc. Simply to play the game.
If you in the course of a hard fair/borderline tackle you get a belt, take it.

It took some fecking force from Skinner to break a stick in that way...the fella he hit then has to get up a go to a job the next day with broken ribs or a similar injury. That's not 'part and parcel' of our game in my book and shouldn't be in anybody's book.

Children watching that game will see what their senior players are doing. That is no sort of example to be setting. That's the point Wino...not the bureaucratic bullsh1t that sees players get off on technicalities.

It should be a privilege to hold a hurl.

theskull1

It's all down to the amount of force IMO. Yes James jabbed, and deserved something back, but both Skinner and Ding went in with full force to do real damage. There is a difference.

Your right though...I've seen worse so it needs to be kept in perspective, but real intent to injure was there so .......

Ding No.11 BTW
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

maxpower

Whatever of this individual case i think a disciplinary problem exists in club hurling where certain individuals are always walking a tight line, and get away with consistently being dirty as most ref's will give a booking first, there should be a system where so many booking result in a suspension

Where Loughgiel sanctioned for the action of the supportter?
On what grounds was Skinner's ban halved, don't see much there to support it?

As for the championship, really heating up now

Cushendall did (by all accounts) a Cushendall and won the first round without impressing anyone, and they'll probaly do the same this weekend though i think it'll be a very comfortable game for them

Loughiel missing Winker, JC & James Campbell will have a though time against Rossa in the ctity, though Casement should probaly suit the shamrocks more with a bit more pace in there forwards.  Think the Shamrocks will win by 5/6

Glenarriffe have put a good league campaign together and should be too strong for what on paper would be the weaker of the three divisional boards, but again it all depends on how much work they have been able to put in.

Couldn't possibly comment on our own game, suffice to saw Ballycastle are an ever improving team and can count themselves unlucky in the last couple of games between us.  Hopefully our boys can do it -- but you do well to catch high ball against the town with Hippy, McAUley, Pinky, Matthew and Ryan Donnelly and Cossy all good ball winners
What happens next????

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on August 11, 2009, 01:03:00 PM
It's all down to the amount of force IMO. Yes James jabbed, and deserved something back, but both Skinner and Ding went in with full force to do real damage. There is a difference.

Your right though...I've seen worse so it needs to be kept in perspective, but real intent to injure was there so .......

Ding No.11 BTW
see him now, no worse than anyone else and i do take into consideration what you're saying about the amount of force but its a hard one for a referee to call whether there was intent to injure or not as even the slightest of well placed jabs can do serious damage. Obviously the more power the more likely to do damage. As for going to work, don't get involved and your chances greatly improve.

Someone mentioned the lack of ability in some referee's to spot the difference in a dirty pull and a honest hard pull and I've found that to be true in some instances particularily under the dropping ball where a (deliberate) badly timed pull or low pull can do serious damage to either arm or head, yet i've seen lads getting blown up if they've batted down the ball, hand and all, which IMO has always been fine.

Hoors blocking on the hands, nowhere near the ball has always been a pet hate of mine.

JamesH

anailis, you seem to know a lot about the process, obviously leeking info from the club an you taking video from other side of pitch. The truth be told that the two boys were sent of last year against the same team, neither an angel. As for the head man he would hardly be worried about loughgiel as our men have beaten you in three recent finals with you full team and we gave you a 8 point lead in one final.

wideball - ffs ref

First time using this thing, I hope I am on the right track guys?

Just watched the Loughguille v Dunloy video on YouTube.  Number five from Dunloy and 11 from Loughguile should both be disciplined if you ask me.  Looks like 'Ding's' being made a scapegoat and is the sacrificial lamb!  North Antrim CCC have got it all Wong in my opinion given what I have just viewed.  I am surprised the Linesman didn't see anything. Was also at the game on Sunday, Ding starred in this one.
Doc John, surely Hamill will not be that cheap!

theskull1

QuoteThe truth be told ......
???
You would almost think that there is only one truth out there and let that be the end of all the untruths  :-\

Welcome wideball....if you'd have called Ding the sacrificial wolf then I'd agree with most of that. He's a good hurler but he's no lamb  :)

Queenie

In all seriousness skull, i would agree with wbffsref i think the linesman has a lot to answer for, he should have made the call!!!!
Are you a missionary or a mercenary?  Remember, tallk is cheap!

wideball - ffs ref

Who is this high profile referee omn the North Antrim CCC anyway?
Doc John, surely Hamill will not be that cheap!

theskull1

Whats this blaming linesmen Queenie for something it took the rest of us 4 or 5 replays in a video to see what actually happened.  ???

And even if YOU seen it first time because you had your eye on the right person/people, the linesmans focus may have been on other players at that moment in time.

Give him a break FFS!! ......On second thoughts after just remembering what happened him afterwards because someone held the same opinion as yourself ....don't bother  :P :)