Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north aontroim gael

Quote from: anailís on August 10, 2009, 02:04:01 PM
I'd agree with you about Rossa not being too worried about Loughgiel, was talking to Rossa corner back at the game and he told me they are going well, good numbers at training, got Paul Close back and hope to have Jim Connolly there or there abouts (achilles), either in full forward, or wing half. I think the games are on this weekend, someone thought possibly Casement and a North Antrim venue, although not too sure.

With regards to the referee incident, i had heard from different people from two different clubs yesterday that North Antrim's test case which they brought against Loughgiel's Paul Gillan following the Feis Final was thrown out after a Hearing meeting in Casement on Friday night. There were various reasons why the case was dropped, the main reason i hear was that a prominent referee and member of N Antrim CCC who brought the case, told the Hearing committee that he had contacted the referee for clarification, based on the use of video evidence. The referee was subsequently phoned during the Hearing to check the veracity of this statement, and it turned out to be false, the referee had never been contacted ( which was supposed to have happened as per the official guide). The case got thrown out and then the very next day, the match referee was then contacted by the N Antrim CCC representative (high profile referee) and asked if he would change his story! The Feis referee refused, saying he wouldnt be changing his story for anybody as it was the truth. It would appear that according to the official guide, if someone deliberatley misleads (lies to) a Hearings Committe, it is an automatic 48 week ban with no right to appeal....
That's how the Derry footballer was suspended recently for the jawbreaking incident, not for breaking the jaw, but for getting caught out on a lie. How embarrassing will it be for North Antrim Board, and for refereeing in general if one of their "up and coming" leading lights is about to be banned for a year, after being economical with the truth to put it mildly and then trying to pressurise another referee into changing his story so he himself can avoid justifiable punishment....

Hard to assess Loughgiels performance as they played majority of the game with 14 men.  I know St Johns later had 2 men sent off but I think the game was put to bed by the time they were dismissed.  Had St Johns a little more discipline in the tackle they could of really pushed Loughgiel.  They gave away 4/5 easy frees when the game was in the balance as well as missing a lot of chances. Colm Mc Fall took some great scores for them though.

I feel Ballycastle could give Dunloy real problems and should not be written of, they have a strong county contingent and have heard they are putting in a lot of effort.

Hadn't heard about this, makes for interesting reading. So Paul Gillan was suspended using video evidence which had apparently been given the OK by the referee on the day when in fact he had given no such authority....is that right?  Looks like someone has been caught out badly telling porkies!

anailís

yes gael, more or less right. They didn't consult with the referee, just decided to have a video investigation into the match without talking to him. Dangerous precedent to start, after all what's to stop any club official from wanting an investigation launched when it suits them. The other thing was, i was at the feis final and have to say the incident concerned was no more vicious or dangerous than any two minutes before the throw-in in any munster or leinster championship match. Pushing/shoving use of the heel of the stick, not excusing it, but i didnt see or hear of anyone hurt as a result of any of the challenges in that game. Seem to remember a few players on the ground after that, but they were back up and played out the rest of the game. I think some person or persons in North Antrim might have gotten a bit over-zealous in their decision and it has now back-fired. Also could it be possible that a shadowy figure prepared the snowballs so that our referee friend could fire them? If so, the referee in question is now up the creek so to speak, while the brains of the operation sits back watching one of his lieutenants take the fall.

north aontroim gael

Well if that was the case then it would of opened a serious can of worms as most teams now use video analysis and if this case had of stuck then we could of been looking at incidents every week.

Be interesting to see what comes out of it if the rumours are true.  This is the first I had heard of it although I was aware Paul Gillans suspension was lifted.  I was at the game myself and the scuffle which took place seemed to be handbags for Lavertys sending but i'm not sure which particular incident Gillan was suspended for.  Wasn't really a dirty game.

If it was the case that he was acting on someone else's behalf then im sure theres a few boys sweating to see if he takes it on the chin or takes a few with him!  Im sure Loughgiel officials aren't very impressed and rightly so

theskull1

Quote from: north aontroim gael on August 10, 2009, 03:25:17 PM
Well if that was the case then it would of opened a serious can of worms as most teams now use video analysis and if this case had of stuck then we could of been looking at incidents every week.

Be interesting to see what comes out of it if the rumours are true.  This is the first I had heard of it although I was aware Paul Gillans suspension was lifted.  I was at the game myself and the scuffle which took place seemed to be handbags for Lavertys sending but i'm not sure which particular incident Gillan was suspended for.  Wasn't really a dirty game.

If it was the case that he was acting on someone else's behalf then im sure theres a few boys sweating to see if he takes it on the chin or takes a few with him!  Im sure Loughgiel officials aren't very impressed and rightly so

Theres a vast difference in two players niggling at each other shoulder to shoulder with minimal movement of the stick (if you get what I mean :-\) and  I have no real problem with that but one player running towards another player and driving the stick into his mindrift with full intent and force . Skinners sending off was warranted and was in full glare of the referee who was 10 yards away looking straight at him.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Nemo

Quote from: theskull1 on August 10, 2009, 03:32:40 PM

Theres a vast difference in two players niggling at each other shoulder to shoulder with minimal movement of the stick (if you get what I mean :-\) and  I have no real problem with that but one player running towards another player and driving the stick into his mindrift with full intent and force . Skinners sending off was warranted and was in full glare of the referee who was 10 yards away looking straight at him.

i have to agree with you skull, it can be clearly seen on the video. i wasnt at the match but only saw it recently via the Good auld world wide web, and imo both players should have been sent off / suspended. 

are you saying gael, if he had of broken the other players ribs, only then he should have been sent off.

anailís

I agree with you to an extent skull, which is why he was sent off, and why he served 4 weeks. But i can think of James McKeague hitting Ding with the heel of the stick in the midriff off the ball in the leadup to that incident, and then hitting skinner in the back with the heel of the stick, directly after that incident, and i can also think of cathair cunning hitting ding with the heel of the stick in the back also in that incident, and also since we're at it, Rab being the third man in, and pulling Skinner by the helmet, swinging him around by the faceguard so violently he actually pulled the plastic lug off the helmet! If we're going to look at an incident, let's look at it all, and not be too selective.
I think Skinner deserved to go, but i can't see how they could pick only one Loughgiel man out of that incident and not see any other infringements. It obviously went to the County Hearings Committe, they watched it and came to the same conclusion as most who were at that match, ie that it wasn't that serious an incident, and didn't bear further investigation.

Nemo

Quote from: anailís on August 10, 2009, 03:53:31 PM
I agree with you to an extent skull, which is why he was sent off, and why he served 4 weeks. But i can think of James McKeague hitting Ding with the heel of the stick in the midriff off the ball in the leadup to that incident, and then hitting skinner in the back with the heel of the stick, directly after that incident, and i can also think of cathair cunning hitting ding with the heel of the stick in the back also in that incident, and also since we're at it, Rab being the third man in, and pulling Skinner by the helmet, swinging him around by the faceguard so violently he actually pulled the plastic lug off the helmet! If we're going to look at an incident, let's look at it all, and not be too selective.
I think Skinner deserved to go, but i can't see how they could pick only one Loughgiel man out of that incident and not see any other infringements. It obviously went to the County Hearings Committe, they watched it and came to the same conclusion as most who were at that match, ie that it wasn't that serious an incident, and didn't bear further investigation.

;D  ;D  ;D  - i must have watched a different video.   ::)  ::)

anailís

Yes Nemo, sounds like You were watching the video North Antrim tried to suspend Ding with too. Let me suggest you keep an eye out for the video taken from the same side of the pitch as the incident, taken by Glenarm club. Much more accurate, rather than Jamie Quinn's from the far side of the field, which i believe is the one which North Antrim used as evidence.

north aontroim gael

My post maybe wasn't the clearest there. Agree Laverty should of been sent of but think if you send Gillan of for what he done then there would of been a further 3 Dunloy and couple more Loughgiel dismissals if video to be used from now on.  Wouldnt even of been mentioned had it happened in Munster.

Nemo

Quote from: anailís on August 10, 2009, 04:02:24 PM
Yes Nemo, sounds like You were watching the video North Antrim tried to suspend Ding with too. Let me suggest you keep an eye out for the video taken from the same side of the pitch as the incident, taken by Glenarm club. Much more accurate, rather than Jamie Quinn's from the far side of the field, which i believe is the one which North Antrim used as evidence.

nope, i think its the glenarm one i watched, havent seen the north antrim one, whichever one is on the web and it doesnt sound much like you described

Nemo

Quote from: north aontroim gael on August 10, 2009, 04:06:40 PM

My post maybe wasn't the clearest there. Agree Laverty should of been sent of but think if you send Gillan of for what he done then there would of been a further 3 Dunloy and couple more Loughgiel dismissals if video to be used from now on.  Wouldnt even of been mentioned had it happened in Munster.

didnt they do the same thing  ???  ???

anyway, i will stay out of it as i can see the rose tinted glasses are on both of yous. also it has little to do with me or less do i care to be honest.

north aontroim gael

Where is this web video? Do you have a link?

I'm still trying to go by memory which may have been hampered by the shandies I had after the game!!

Nemo

back to the matches at the weekend

paid £15 into three matches and feel like i was robbed, i know some teams where understrentgh and plenty of excuses, but the standard of hurling was awful to say the least.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: Nemo on August 10, 2009, 04:13:32 PM
back to the matches at the weekend

paid £15 into three matches and feel like i was robbed, i know some teams where understrentgh and plenty of excuses, but the standard of hurling was awful to say the least.

Agreed.

Lack of atmosphere at them all was dissapointing,  I understand there were changes to fixture schedules but a double header would maybe of generated bigger crowds and more of an atmosphere.  Im sure it will pick up this weekend.

johnneycool

Just to clarify this, the ref sent skinner to the line during the game for his part in the melee.

Someone in admistrative duties wanted a bit more blood for the whole melee and was using video evidence to get more players suspended (ding Gillan?) but didn't follow correct procedure by informing/contacting the match referee of his intentions and was caught out when the full county disciplinary meeting was held?

Any links to the Video?