Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Quote from: The Truth on March 19, 2007, 02:29:57 PM
[Tony mind your mouth, i will give Terry a break when he delivers results. You see talking about in the papers just doesent do it, now you have to actually get the results or expext the criticism that will come.

No doubt, sambo's time as a pundit has left him open to alot of critisism. He dished it out to others so he should expect the same to be done to him, although I would agree that it doesn't get anybody anywhere (apart from a smug grin). In his time as the Irish New's hurling wise man, he built Antrim (as dinny did) up to be something that they currently are not. He still thinks it but the results do not and never have stacked up against that opinion. But he has made his bed. He can't retract the asperation he has for the team and will be another one of a long list of managerial failures who could take Antrim to where they rightly belong (his words btw). Hopefully somebody will wake up and realise that we are setting the bar too high for Antrim Hurling and that this is having a detrimental affect on the overall health of the game
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Syd The Sailor

Why was Winker Watson not playing? I see Kevin Elliott seemed to be playing instead.......
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

Tony Baloney

He was probably lying blocked in some ditch in Corkey after a heavy feed on St. Paddy's night!

Arthur_Friend

Skull, you have hit the nail on the head, Sambo did so much slabbering in the Irish News (in between recounting past glorious defeats and details of phone calls to famous hurlers)  he has set himself up for heavy criticism.

Arthur_Friend

....punches Tony Baloney in the mooth.

glens73

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on March 19, 2007, 03:56:44 PM
Skull, you have hit the nail on the head, Sambo did so much slabbering in the Irish News (in between recounting past glorious defeats and details of phone calls to famous hurlers)  he has set himself up for heavy criticism.

That's all they were after all, like Kilkenny in 1991. They had better hurlers in Sambo's time but they were never going to come close to win an All-Ireland, they got hammered in 1989. I remember the Irish News rating the Tipp & Antrim players out of 10 a couple of days or so before the final and Antrim's added up to more than Tipp's - absolutely laughable.

As Woody said on RTE radio after the game yesterday, we're not good enough to compete in Div 1 & too good for Div 2 and what we're trying to do is get Antrim to compete in games against the top teams by the time 3 years is up. This is much more realistic than pie in the sky ideas of Antrim challenging for an All-Ireland.

Baile an tuaigh

I have too say that getting beat by Tipperary by only six points was a very credable performance by Antrim. The only way Antrim Hurling will improve is if proper league structures are put in place at home. This malarkey of Hurlers only getting six or so games a year is farcical. And at that these games are played in horrendous weather. Every man women and child that picks up the Caman in our County should at least be guaranteed twenty games a year. The way it is being run now will kill the game eventualy.

theskull1

Quote from: glens73 on March 19, 2007, 04:08:06 PM
As Woody said on RTE radio after the game yesterday, we're not good enough to compete in Div 1 & too good for Div 2 and what we're trying to do is get Antrim to compete in games against the top teams by the time 3 years is up. This is much more realistic than pie in the sky ideas of Antrim challenging for an All-Ireland.

Yes, much more realistic. But this is not the message Sambo was pumping out over the past few years (I'm assuming that Sambo now agrees with this statement made by woody) . Thats why people will be jumping on him for changing his opinion of Antrims potential now that HE is at the helm.

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on March 19, 2007, 04:16:59 PM
I have too say that getting beat by Tipperary by only six points was a very credable performance by Antrim. The only way Antrim Hurling will improve is if proper league structures are put in place at home. This malarkey of Hurlers only getting six or so games a year is farcical. And at that these games are played in horrendous weather. Every man women and child that picks up the Caman in our County should at least be guaranteed twenty games a year. The way it is being run now will kill the game eventualy.

Defensively it looks like a good performance, but Antrim didn't have any forward score from play so...

Anybody with any sense can see that regular club activity is required to improve the fortunes of hurling in Antrim. That and a drive to improve coaching standards in every club up and down the County. More PR to advertise games in an attempt to attract people back to the game. I could go on, but the problem is that you could not tell this to our administrators. They keep on making the same mistakes and we keep wondering why it is not working for them.

davincicode

Just take a look at how the the 2 games where covered on the TV today, should,nt let the BBc in unless its attributes the same time and background to the GAA.

And then look at the programme for todays Mc Crory, look at the coverage Gaelic Football Gets, our own bodies are killing hurling, its profile and is attraction.

Just look, Seam Mc courty Ulster Colleges, Colm Mc Kenna BOI, our own county organisation at casement park, farcical to say the least. Its all about ego,s thats it. Opinions and suggestions no action, our own people discriminate against our own codes.

And to finish off, with all the Antrim representation involved and not one Antrim official as part of the game, thats for me puts it all in perspective.

Syd The Sailor

A quote attributed to Antrim Manager Terry Mc Naughton -" Some of the forwards on the Cork team wouldnt get on the Antrim team !! Have we not been down this road before with this kind of shite with a previous Antrim Manager......
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

bredaghgael86

Was just wondering if anybody had any idea how i could get my hands on the fixture lists, specifically div.3. any help is much appreciated.

aontroim

bredaghgael the hurling fixture list is on the antrim website somewhere.

theskull1

Quote from: Syd The Sailor on March 19, 2007, 03:29:13 PM
Why was Winker Watson not playing? I see Kevin Elliott seemed to be playing instead.......
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2007, 03:31:39 PM
He was probably lying blocked in some ditch in Corkey after a heavy feed on St. Paddy's night!

God help anybody that has to manage thon boy. :-\

Guillem2

Hurling League Fixtures

Div 1

Glenariff   Lamh Dhearg
Ballycran   Ballygalget
Sarsfields   Loughgiel
Rossa   Cushendall
Portaferry   Ballycastle
Dunloy   St Galls
   St Johns

12 games each.

Div 1 (Res) - the fixtures list isn't clear on this one. Who has entered and how many games will they get? Can anyone enlighten me?

Div 2
Clooney   Carey
St Pauls   Gotrnamona
Rasharkin   Glenravel
Tir na nOg   Shane O Neills
Armoy   Cushendun

9 games each.

Div 3
St Teresas   Bredagh
Ardoyne   Creggan Gaels
St Agnes    Sarsfields 2
Mitchel Og   Ballymena
St Pauls 2   Davitts
Cloughmills   Larne
Na Fuiseoig   St Endas

13 games each.

I hope it goes better than last year. Loughgeil for Div 1, Gorts for Div 2 and St Endas for Div 3, but the league will have no bearing on the championships. Welcome Bredagh to the Antrim leagues.

Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

milltown row

reserve teams are, dunloy, Loughgiel, cushendall, St Johns, Ballygalget, Ballycran, Portaferry, Ballycastle, and Naomh Gall eight games to be played plus a reserve championship