Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Conor Cunning, good hurler though he is, has looked very tired for a few years. Like skull says - a rest would probably do him the world of good. Since around the time Dunloy got beat by Birr in the AI final he has , to me, not been the same.

Syd you come on here talking about a pro cushendall agenda and then it transpires cushendall have had players dropped too. Maybe you are the one with the agenda?

Dunno why Loughgiel players would be dropped and not Cushendall ones seeing as it is a "partnership". Also of all the players the one I would be most disappointed to see dropped would be Joey Scullion. If developed right he should be one of our best forwards. The other boys are maybe a bit young and I'd expect them to make it yet - well more McDonnell than the other ones but time will tell. They're still U21 so they'll get plenty of hurling.

These boys are not very long into the management. Give them a chance. It's a massive job to do. Winning a christy ring trophy only papered over cracks. It was a low standard competition. They entered into a far from perfect set up.

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 09, 2007, 08:56:20 AM
Conor Cunning, good hurler though he is, has looked very tired for a few years. Like skull says - a rest would probably do him the world of good. Since around the time Dunloy got beat by Birr in the AI final he has , to me, not been the same.

Syd you come on here talking about a pro cushendall agenda and then it transpires cushendall have had players dropped too. Maybe you are the one with the agenda?

Dunno why Loughgiel players would be dropped and not Cushendall ones seeing as it is a "partnership". Also of all the players the one I would be most disappointed to see dropped would be Joey Scullion. If developed right he should be one of our best forwards. The other boys are maybe a bit young and I'd expect them to make it yet - well more McDonnell than the other ones but time will tell. They're still U21 so they'll get plenty of hurling.

These boys are not very long into the management. Give them a chance. It's a massive job to do. Winning a christy ring trophy only papered over cracks. It was a low standard competition. They entered into a far from perfect set up.

Settle down now, if you cannot see that my comment (about wearing Ruairi Og shorts) was tongue in cheek then maybe you should wait until you have woken up a bit more. Were Brian & Aidan Delargy dropped or did they leave of their own accord? i would have maybe kept Aidan but wouldnt have had Brian Delargy anywhere near the panel. As for my "agenda" i think there is a "conspiracy theories" thread on this board somewhere maybe you would be better served on it.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

nrico2006

What club is C O'Connell from?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 09, 2007, 09:05:10 AM
What club is C O'Connell from?

He is sub keeper for Loughguile......

Glensman

Agree about Connor Cunning posts - with a bit of a break he could get back to where he was, arguably as skill hurler in Antrim as there has been over the last 5/6 years but perhaps lacking that intensity needed having been on the go with club/county for the guts of 10 years.
As regards Dunloy it may be a good bit of fortune - he can throw himself into the hurling and gaelic. He has always been a classy football player as well, with a smart head on him - could be one to watch in Div 1 football.

Also agree that dropping Joey Scullion was not a wise move if we are into investing in the future - not sure how he has been showing in training etc but if he bulked up a bit and got a slight bit more speed (not sure whether they go hand in hand but anyway) he would be as dangerous a forward as we have.

Shame that Aidan Delargy has gone, thought in the Portumna match he added a bit of experience to the Cushendall team...something that maybe Antrim might be lacking if you look at the panel in depth.

Would have thought (and hoped) that no bias at all will come into the management selection and I don't think it will. Worth giving the dream team a fair crack at it I reckon.

JUST WANTED TO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO WATCH CLONEY GAELS ALL THE BEST IN THEIR ALL IRELAND FINAL THIS WEEKEND. GREAT TO SEE.

SlimShady

I'd like to add my best wishes to Clooney Gaels for Sunday as well, a tough assignment but would be some achievement-already is actually.

I'm a tad jealous that they're getting a game in Croker! would give my right arm for the chance.

Good luck Clooney!

Maximus Marillius

Yeah have to wish them all the best of luck also, ye love to see a victory tour of Ahoghill :D

Glensman

Good point Max - if they win and are coming back Sunday night I would drop in to see that one.

Big Davy Tweed in the red and black.

SlimShady

any betting for this game? i reckon Clooney would be about 7/1 to win it.

Ruairi Og exile

Cushendall annual(2006) dinner last nite, Sean Delargy got our senior hurler of the year & it was announced he was named county captain for 2007. Great attitude & very committed, think he will do a good job. Led us very well in 2005 when he stepped as in as captain.

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: Ruairi Og exile on March 11, 2007, 05:52:29 PM
Cushendall annual(2006) dinner last nite, Sean Delargy got our senior hurler of the year & it was announced he was named county captain for 2007. Great attitude & very committed, think he will do a good job. Led us very well in 2005 when he stepped as in as captain.

I echo what your saying about Sean Delargy but with Mickey Kettle back there will be a greater fight on for the 2 corner back positions, will he be guaranteed his place for every game now? It is hard to drop your captain

Ruairi Og exile

I suppose it's a bit suprising considering he's only re-joined the county panel this year. But i'd have him starting on the team on the form he showed for us last year. It will interesting to see how he gets on.

slow corner back

It would be good for Antrim to have a bit of genuine competition for places for once. Normally we dont have enough decent hurlers to fil all positions.

theskull1

Quote from: Ruairi Og exile on March 12, 2007, 09:03:08 PM
I suppose it's a bit suprising considering he's only re-joined the county panel this year. But i'd have him starting on the team on the form he showed for us last year. It will interesting to see how he gets on.

Think thats how every county team should be selected...on last years performances with their clubs and even performances in the early part of the season

The assumption is that they get to play for their clubs
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Syd The Sailor

I see Tipp are 1/200 to beat Antrim on Sunday!! I think it will be another heavy defeat, Tipp are going as well as anyone, the only thing that will save us is if they are complacent. I see DD Quinn has been dropped for the game.