Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpower

Would love it if the leagues where well structured with games every weekend in summer with the weekends Antrim are playing the large base of club supporters actually wieghing in behind the Saffrons.

I actually think thats the way it should be with the County teams across the whole country meeting up only in the week leading up to a game.  Similar to how international soccer works, so that the boys in form are the boys in the squad.  Would never happen because of the pressure on county teams but if it did, instantly club fixtures are no longer a problem, the cost of running a team is reduced significantly.
What happens next????

slow corner back

Quote from: NAG1 on June 10, 2009, 01:50:57 PM
Yes two hands I agree but thats my point how do we incentivise the league to make it worthwhile to compete in?

I would say if the clubs had something to go for in the league you would soon see a change of attitude and especially if the games were coming thick and fast throughout the summer months.

Anyone any ideas on how to incentivise the league for clubs?
Ensure all league games played before mid august and championship draw dictated by league position ie 1st v 8 2nd v 7th etc. Means the league is played in  the summer and matters, wouldnt suit cushendall though who usually start training round June

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: slow corner back on June 10, 2009, 11:34:15 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 10, 2009, 01:50:57 PM
Yes two hands I agree but thats my point how do we incentivise the league to make it worthwhile to compete in?

I would say if the clubs had something to go for in the league you would soon see a change of attitude and especially if the games were coming thick and fast throughout the summer months.

Anyone any ideas on how to incentivise the league for clubs?
Ensure all league games played before mid august and championship draw dictated by league position ie 1st v 8 2nd v 7th etc. Means the league is played in  the summer and matters, wouldnt suit cushendall though who usually start training round June
That would be ok SCB but in our top division we have 3 Co.Down teams in it. Where would leave that teams like Rossa,Glenariffe & Gorts who are in Div 2 who have entered the senior championship? What about the top 4 in Div 1 enter a play-off to see who wins the league with the winners getting a cash bonus(through sponsorship) to win it(half could go into a players fund?).it means team would strive to get into the top 4.only a suggestion?

maxpower

sounds alost like prize money two hands, honestly don't think a few bob at the end would be a big motivation for players.

regular matches against teams of a similar quality where the crowds can come out and support the team and the players have to fight for their place on the championship team.  

How, play the Ulster league in March/April with finals mid May. Antrim League from Mid May to end of July. August and September to run of Championships

Take 4 weekends out for Ulster Final, Leinster Quarter Final, Qualifier round 1, refixed matches.  IF Antrim do well make amendments.

Ulster League to continue without county player who would be tied up with NHL, matches played every sunday, football leagues played on a Friday night so that every Sunday hurling clubs get into the habit of supporting there teams.

A bit more effort from club to promote games also, the home team could perhaps be responsible for a match programme, it could even be used as a local school project to produce this and the county could award the school that produces the best programmes a reward.  Clubs would ave to send in team sheets but that should not be a problem.

Crowds at games will help the intensity,  I accept this is only cosemtic changes and that for real progress it would have to start with committed coaches working with kids in every club but i always think that you need both a good youth set up and a decentsenior set up for the youth to aspire to, part of the problem i think for some of that excellent minor team was they were lead to believe from an early age that they were the pinnacle in ANtrim andso senior was just a formaility not an aspiration
What happens next????

theskull1

The elephant in the corner. Nothing stops skill development like it. Results in mediocrity
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Last Man

Football influence = a bunch of muscle bound weight lifters who couldn't hurl stones at the brits, where have we seen that recently??

theskull1

I wish I was joking.  :-\

Name me a dual player from a club who has trained as much all the way through the juvenile age groups into senior in both codes who has stickwork worth talking about? They are few and far between. It's just the way works out.

billy the kid

Thought this might interest some of you.

The Ulster Camogie Council are making a massive push ahead of their Ulster Finals.  Can you support them by publisizing their finals in all Clubs, Club and County Websites and all local Media (Radio and Newspapers)

Please Find attached the Final Poster and the Children's (U14) Free Ticket.

ULSTER CAMOGIE CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS 2009

PAIRC ESLER, NEWRY
SATURDAY 4th JULY
[/b]

Ulster Camogie: Press Release – By. Niamh Archibald (Ulster Camogie PRO)

Ulster Camogie hosted the 2009 Provincial Championship Finals launch on Friday evening at the finals venue at Pairc Esler Newry.  Mayor of Newry and Mourne District Colman Burns was present to help launch the Ulster Finals.

Mayor Burns said: "Ulster Council should be commended for their dedication to making the Ulster Final a festival of camogie which could be enjoyed by all the family.

"The hard-work that has gone in by all those involved should be commended, this will be the best final Ulster Camogie has witnessed. The teams, players and officials are lucky to be taking part in such a momentous occasion.

Catherine O'Hara Chairperson of Ulster Camogie said: "The GAA has to be congratulated for giving us the opportunity to create what we hope will be the finest Ulster Final. They have worked tirelessly to ensure that we have a pitch and date which we can build around. Danny Murphy and Tom Daly have to be thanked for giving us this unique opportunity, we hope with their continued support and help to make the Ulster Final an annual event which will be placed in every GAA calendar.

"It's now up to us, as an association, in a Province with a unique history to get behind our own sport and be visibly seen supporting the game we are so proud to be part of. It's about respecting  ourselves first.

On behalf of the Council Iwould like to wish all the finalists and officials  the best of luck. Pairc Esler on 4th July is where we should all be.

Two fabulous finals and the buzz that goes hand in hand with finals day is one not to be missed."

Also present at the Launch was Ulster Secretary Danny Murphy . The Provincial GAA Director spoke of the need to support Camogie. Danny Murphy stated that the time has come for Camogie to receive the respect and recognition it deserved saying: "for some time now the Camogie Association has been saying that it should get more respect. I'm a big believer that respect is not given but earned and you only have to look at what Ulster Camogie is trying to achieve with this Final to know that they are worthy of our respect."

The Ulster Finals will take place on the 4th July, with Tyrone facing Monaghan in the Junior Final, whilst neighbours Derry and Antrim will battle it out for the Senior title.

(For all the latest updates log onto www.ulstercamogie.ie )

CLICK BELOW TO VIEW - Ulster Camogie Final Promo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_KH5og1zwY

If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

milltown row

we have all moaned about the leagues, and have give various reasons to the decline of the antrim leagues. between the county teams wanting their players more and teams such as Cushendall not really trying in the leagues. (sure as long as they win three games that count)  the chopping and changing of the leagues at div 1 and 2. the fact that only one team goes up IMO is the worst decision ever!!!!

some of my thoughts have been expressed here already, league standings count for championship is one. let the Down teams go back to their own, now Johnnycool hear me out. this will only better the teams in the long run from their own counties. yes at the beginning there will be some lop sided games, but after a few years teams will raise the bar and be able to compete. we did it and were relegated by .........fook it not going back to that issue (Ba*tards) the Down teams will also be able to compete with Ballycran the Ports and B,galget. Bredagh have made great strides lately and other clubs in Down are doing great work. after time the clubs will even out and become competitive.

another one to think about would be for a champions league style competition (hate using soccer) but the winners of all the leagues then play in first an Ulster play off and then into an all Ireland play off. should they be Championship winners the the second placed team play instead. obviously Croke park is the goal at the end where clubs can play the 'Club League finals'

whats your views

imtommygunn

Interesting opinions Milltown. A few comments I would make...

1. I think the AI and ulster league things would make things too congested.
2. Down teams moving out would give a lot of pain to the Ards team. I think, while we have improved the Down teams, they are also good for us too. They raise the bar and the standard isn't good enough across the board for us to have ten good teams.

A few thoughts...
- One up and one down is not good enough to maintain interest.
- Derry, I think, used to do a thing in football where something like the top 4 (or 2nd 3rd and 4th in lower leagues)went into playoffs for the league and the 4 above bottom went into playoffs. This meant that teams could feasibly with 2 games to go both be going for league titles(or promotion in lower leagues) and then get relegated. This would keep top and bottom interested. Basically this would be akin to soccer playoffs.
- So I suppose we could do 1st gets promoted from division 2 down. The next 3 are involved in playoffs for promotion. Bottom is relegated and the three above that are in playoffs for relegation. In the top division top 4 go to playoff for league.
- Relegation would be a draw out of a hat. First match loser plays the team remaining. Loser is down.
- Not new ideas but keeps every league place more interesting.

Tony Baloney

I think Down hurling would wither and die without competitive matches in Antrim.

slow corner back

Going back to the original point about the top eight teams so what if three of them come from Div2, the last time Rossa won the championship they were effectivly in Div 2. I agree with Milltown there should be two up two down from each division to keep things competitive. Now if the gorts Glenarriffe and St Galls were all scrambling for two promotion places this year it would make div 2 very intresting. Bear in mind that promotion would gaurantee you an easier championship draw the next year. Although two up two down would make it hard to remain in Div 1 we would end up with four or five yoyo teams but no harm in that makes them fight harder to stay in Div1 which is the whole point to make the league competitive. Keep the down teams in the competition if the antrim teams lift their game some of them will get relegated like Ballycran two years ago and if the antrim teams cant lift their games then tough cookies.

Minder

Quote from: slow corner back on June 13, 2009, 10:01:19 PM
Going back to the original point about the top eight teams so what if three of them come from Div2, the last time Rossa won the championship they were effectivly in Div 2. I agree with Milltown there should be two up two down from each division to keep things competitive. Now if the gorts Glenarriffe and St Galls were all scrambling for two promotion places this year it would make div 2 very intresting. Bear in mind that promotion would gaurantee you an easier championship draw the next year. Although two up two down would make it hard to remain in Div 1 we would end up with four or five yoyo teams but no harm in that makes them fight harder to stay in Div1 which is the whole point to make the league competitive. Keep the down teams in the competition if the antrim teams lift their game some of them will get relegated like Ballycran two years ago and if the antrim teams cant lift their games then tough cookies.

Agree, if we beat St Galls once we will be almost home and hosed. There is no margin for error but the league could be over halfway through the season as in reality the only teams capable of beating us are St Galls and Gort Na Mona (cant see Rossa beating us at home). Though as the Antrim admin always tell us " its what the clubs wanted"..........I suppose the Div 1 teams will never vote for this, turkeys voting for Xmas and all that...........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 13, 2009, 07:01:35 PM
Interesting opinions Milltown. A few comments I would make...

1. I think the AI and ulster league things would make things too congested.
2. Down teams moving out would give a lot of pain to the Ards team. I think, while we have improved the Down teams, they are also good for us too. They raise the bar and the standard isn't good enough across the board for us to have ten good teams.
A few thoughts...
- One up and one down is not good enough to maintain interest.
- Derry, I think, used to do a thing in football where something like the top 4 (or 2nd 3rd and 4th in lower leagues)went into playoffs for the league and the 4 above bottom went into playoffs. This meant that teams could feasibly with 2 games to go both be going for league titles(or promotion in lower leagues) and then get relegated. This would keep top and bottom interested. Basically this would be akin to soccer playoffs.
- So I suppose we could do 1st gets promoted from division 2 down. The next 3 are involved in playoffs for promotion. Bottom is relegated and the three above that are in playoffs for relegation. In the top division top 4 go to playoff for league.
- Relegation would be a draw out of a hat. First match loser plays the team remaining. Loser is down.
- Not new ideas but keeps every league place more interesting.

imtommygunn the Down teams are quality,  losing them would hurt the Antrim leagues and the Down leagues, but fook it. in the short time it will hurt the respective leagues, but in time we would get better and eventually have competitive leagues for Down and Antrim.

one up and one down is killing us. the county need to make it work and fook the clubs who vote this system (ballycastle). it was so bad years ago that even if you won the league (div 2) you had to beat the bottom team in div 1 to gain promotion!!!! how corrupt was that.

play offs dont work because again there is no real hard push from the big teams. they know by the time championship comes they are well ready to beat the lesser teams who might have taken points off them at the start of the season.

theskull1

Boys if Div1 was littered with quality teams then all these arguments about binning the ards teams might stand up. The idea that if you had a better chance of getting into div1, it would make you a better side over time is quite frankly laughable. The quality is only developed through a proper juvenile development system which for hurling takes I would say 2 to 3 times the effort required dedication for football (although dual clubs are supposed to be content with a 50/50 split).  Sorry for pissing on the fire