Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

your right North Antrim (being a separate body from the rest) did the indoor hurling. we (my club) did a lot of the early ones and it was taken on board by the SA board a few years later.

its always been a case of them and us. silly really, but even on this board i can see the divide. personally i think its silly. i hope you don't think that cause your from Belfast then you don't have a passion for hurling and its for the north antrim ones only?

the teams that won these things, namely Ballycastle have done nothing with it so the success of them has yet to be seen

theskull1

Quote from: milltown row on June 04, 2009, 11:30:56 PM
its always been a case of them and us. silly really, but even on this board i can see the divide. personally i think its silly. i hope you don't think that cause your from Belfast then you don't have a passion for hurling and its for the north antrim ones only?

f**k me.... you ask what you consider to be straight forward question and you get the Belfast equivalent of the racist card.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Straightforward answer is that KMcG is responsible for the whole county and has been for the last number of years. SE is responsible for the SW and NA regions.

One man was doing the work and one is a paid Kitman and Liasion for the county hurling team. Make your own mind up.

Last Man

Have to say I'm not to cpmfortable about this debate as on a personal level I reckon he is a decent individual but the right man for this job?? Sadly no. Take Rossa and St.Johns out of the equation as they have little interest in the development of hurling throughout Belfast unless those players end up playing for them that is. Where would you strike the average level of the rest of the clubs compared to NA, not even close I would say. Seamus O'Hare and the boys will no doubt be dancing a jig about Rossa winning the feile this year and will hail this as massive progress in hurling dvelopment in Belfast, who are they kidding? The whole system is screaming out for radical change driven by committed ,dynamic, risk taking individuals. The template is there in NA and already underway but the instigators and architects of this development are now brushed aside in favour those who will toe the party line. They will be sniggering up their sleeves on  the Shaw's and Whiterock roads as the old status quo is maintained.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: hatchetfield on June 05, 2009, 10:27:27 AM
Think there's been a few comments on here that been unfair fromsome people RE: the County Hurling Development Officer.  Having known him for the last few years in particular, i have known him to be an extremely hard worker with the genuine interests of hurling development at heart.  I think its unfair to anonymously criticize the man on an online board like this.

I can only speak for South Antrim and i can tell you that he has been at the centre of everything that has been going well in terms of coaching and development.  Things are definitely looking up in Belfast for hurling and although it might take a wee while for that hard work to show, i can assure you that a lot has been down to the man himself.  If i was in a job looking at hurling development, i would have to look at where the priorities i.e. most need was and i think we're all in agreement that Belfast would have been top of that list.  That's where his energies were focussed on and i think he done a respectable enough job.  I'm not sure as to what extent he was involved in North Antrim but if he wasn't centrally involved, then this message board isn't the place to slate him.  There are avenues for that to be done and that's why i think its unfair to say the least.  I'm sure he was managed by someone or something and this is where your gripe should be taken to.

The other point is this: North Antrim is a shining star in terms of where GAA clubs should be.  Dunloy in particular are a leading light and i commend their club.  They epitomize everything good about the club, love of Sport (all codes!!), Culture, language, friendship (off the pitch and after games anyway) and genuine GAA comradeship.  - off on a rant there!

But maybe in terms of the deficit in attention that you may not have received from the HDC is down to your own success and in the success of the organisation in North Antrim in general.  What do you think?

p.s. just in terms of what success has come out of initiatives taken by the HDC in South Antrim.  Firstly, they don't have to be new and innovative - nothing wrong with copying good idea's!  But certainly in SA, more and more kids are hurling now in comparison with the last 5 years.  Already that is a bonus.  We all aren't blessed with the community/parishy idea of the GAA that rural clubs are and hurling has been increasingly difficult to attract kids to.  So to use simple but real maths: Kids not playing hurling = kids not developing = no competition = Belfast not ever going to compete with NA clubs sustainably.  Now the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, we don't know how long this new found interest in hurling will be and if it will sustain itself the whole way through to the vital years to minor and beyond.  But more clubs are making extra effort, more kids are playing hurling, more events are being organised and this will result in kids hurling, interest being there and hopefully development.  

Sorry about the long message lads but i'm bored in work!
Personally I dont think there is that much of a divide & dont dislike any of the Belfast clubs as there is some good people in the differant clubs that you meet up with& have a good talk about the game..however I would have some reservations about the set up.  It seems there is only a couple of clubs putting in any sustained effort. If things have improved why are clubs playing/trying to enter the North Antrim leagues? I appreciate that there is other distractions & alot of dual clubs. I hope that these appointments & the Belfast plan help the situation. But there is a long long way to go

NAG1

I dont think it should be personal slating match but there is something that just does not feel right about the appointment.

Anyway we can get back to this and no doubt we will.

Predictions for sundays game - I have stated the fact that I am worried about this game.

Two scenario's - Antrim good start tight game could go either way
                       Dublin good start white wash on the cards.

milltown row

Quote from: theskull1 on June 04, 2009, 11:19:02 PM
Quote from: the colonel on June 04, 2009, 11:10:23 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on June 04, 2009, 11:05:31 PM
I always thought that Seamus had a NA remit only but that K McG had an all county position. I could be wrong and am prepared to apologise if I am. Does anyone know?

i had the same understanding. Again a lovely fella, but is the work being done,

those indoor blitzes in Ballymena, who organised them? im sure it was NA

All arranged by Seamus Elliott/Niall Kearney/Owen Elliott and have been a huge success for years. To the point that SA sides and many many other sides from further afield compete in them.
Quote from: milltown row on June 04, 2009, 11:30:56 PM

your right North Antrim (being a separate body from the rest) did the indoor hurling. we (my club) did a lot of the early ones and it was taken on board by the SA board a few years later.

the teams that won these things, namely Ballycastle have done nothing with it so the success of them has yet to be seen
Honest question. I don't know. If anything has been done it appears to be only a reaction to NA successes but as I've said I don't know 

i answered it ???

theskull1

Nice paraphrasing there milltown  :)

Listen.....I hear what yourself and hatchet have said re our HDO. You call it slating. I would prefer to call it a NA perspective of role the HDO has played in his all county position. I am open to critisism if you have any but don't deny me stating my perspective. Hatchet is right that clubs need to step up but you need drivers of change to get into those clubs to effect that change needed (help/support developing structures/recruiting volunteers/coaching courses etc etc) . That is the job of a HDO IMO.

So when there is rumour of the person who has been an intrumental part in developing and actually driving a change in the level of coaching within the NA area being forced out whilst the someone we never see maintains his position by what appears to be purely aping NA's successful initiatives then it is very difficult to see the sense in that. Can any of you understand where I'm coming from if it is true? I'm all for SA getting their house in order but is NA paying the price for that. From what I hear regarding the monies available to NA & SA regarding hurling development it is certainly the case.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Skull

You have hit the nail on the head NA are suffering for being organised and being effective and now they are being punished for be successful in that. All the developments driven forward and replicated in SA have come from the same place. It is a shame that people ride the coat tails of others in our organisation but this has been the way of it for far too many years with the wrong people being rewarded for it!

milltown row

i have praised the North Antrim approach for years, Seamus is a class act and still has great passion for coaching and development of hurling, regardless of club (well maybe Loughgiel ;))

anyway if its the case of Keiran getting a job before Seamus well, thats life. I'm sure most people have been interviewed for jobs and didn't get them and thought they were the best man for the job, and currently lads are being paid off when they know they are good but someone else keeps their job!! for all we know Seamus has a job with the Ulster council or decided he couldn't be arsed.

as for us weaker hurling clubs getting our act together, we are trying. lots of dedicated mentors are down trying to win over kids and mainly parents. stupid people think that hurling is dangerous and our wee johnny would get hurt.(annoys me da fook )

for the lesser clubs we have to wait on past players who have sons in and around the same time who are passionate about hurling and hope they get involved. once they do the thats all it takes. currently we are progressing well. while not yet challenging the Rossa's or Johnny's we hope when they come minor and senior that we will be strong again

NAG1

MR I hear what you are saying and appreciate it but I think you will find that when it comes out in the wash that it wasnt a matter of the two of them going mano v mano for the job!

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on June 05, 2009, 01:46:54 PM
MR I hear what you are saying and appreciate it but I think you will find that when it comes out in the wash that it wasnt a matter of the two of them going mano v mano for the job!

Who conducts these interviews? Is it the county board in question or the Ulster council who ultimately pick up the tab?

Who are these coaches answerable to and who sets out their targets and goals?

Lecale2

Don't know who conducted the interviews but they all report to Jimmy Darragh. He sets targets & goals etc and report to County Boards & Ulster Council.

the colonel

i would imagine they will be answerable to their line manager the Games Manager, that new girl Ciara. Then they will be answerable to the counties coaching dev committee and county board.

For all the that NA is doing, they still need help as they are trying to get to the levels thats our opponents on Sunday are at with their underage development. NA are only at the beginning of their targets (which are aimed higher than SA's targets). They need as much help to reach their aims and objectives than other area's in the county
the difference between success and failure is energy

the colonel

Players selected for a trial for NA squad for the championship. will that make much impact?

Blain Mc Dermott Shane O'Neills
Brendan Mc Dermott Shane O'Neills
Padraig Mc Dermott Shane O'Neills
Darren Hamill Shane O'Neills
Michael Abram Shane O'Neills
Martin Ward Shane O'Neills
Chris Matthews Shane O'Neills
Barry Mc Neill Shane O'Neills
Ciaran Campbell Shane O'Neills
Damien Mc Toal Glen Rovers
Seamus Bailey Glen Rovers
Martin Mc Erlain Glen Rovers