Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

McManus has clearly improved as has Shorty, however since these guys were only 18 when this regime started it would be expected that they would be better players at 21. Brendan Herron is the one player that I see a big improvement in.

NAG

SCB, do you think that was down to the management or the fact that these were the pick of the talent coming through?

Also BH is onyl getting back to the form he was in before he left the scene.

Glensman

R McGarry, K McGourty, Neil McGarry, Karl Stewart, PJ O'Connell.
There are 5 that have progressed, been given game time and flourished or come out of the woodword in this stewartship.
Not going to get all stars this year but would wager that at least 3, probably 4 of them will start v Dublin.

It hasn't all been rosey whatsoever but for f**k sake less than a month before the big game lets get behind what we have.
(I bought my rose tinted glasses during the sunny weekend there. I always fork out round this time of year. They generally get smashed about August time)

I do however agree that Shorty should not be rushed back. Inconsistencies in what has been said that regard have been coming clear but he is a bloody talent and are you serious that if he was a club member of yours would you not be doing ALL within your power to get him back?
As and where the line is crossed and the focus is not about making sure he is back to full health then it should be dealt with.

Agree with Seth in that as hard as it may be for Shorty to say no he should not make himself availavle if by that stage he is not 100%.

Glensman

...and what SCB said re McManus.

NAG

Cant agree with the players you have named (would argue why but dont want to get into a personal thing) Glensman but I can see your arguement.

I am behind them as well believe me they will need all the help they can get, although the result against cork yesterday for dublin should give them some heart.

the colonel

mcmanus has always made a steady progression, he was always gonna become the player he has today. the only thing that has held him back has been a couple of really bad back injuries (the first when he was 16 and could have finished him).

some players will always be great, no matter who coaches them. i think mcmanus and shields are in that category
the difference between success and failure is energy

slow corner back

Quote from: NAG on May 11, 2009, 12:51:42 PM
SCB, do you think that was down to the management or the fact that these were the pick of the talent coming through?

Also BH is onyl getting back to the form he was in before he left the scene.

McManus has looked like a top player from the moment he appeared as a minor, Shorty while skillfull was a bit light at first, age and training have brought him on.

As for Brendan Herron personally I did not think he was any great shakes before he left for australia but I think he has been arguably Antrims most consistent player this spring. Anyways as someone said earlier its about time to get behind the team now, recriminations can wait until the end of the summer.

saffron sam2

I'm told the Milltown men are chasing a former Clare senior hurling panellist. Anyone else hear this rumour?

Wouldn't have happened in Hamill's day.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

anailís

although the result against cork yesterday for dublin should give them some heart.

NAG, what was that result, and what in?

clootfromthe21

Quote from: anailís on May 11, 2009, 08:21:42 PM
although the result against cork yesterday for dublin should give them some heart.

NAG, what was that result, and what in?

Cork 3-22 Dublin 0-14

By Jackie Cahill

Monday, May 11, 2009

DUBLIN manager Anthony Daly admitted his side received a hurling lesson from Cork in a weekend challenge as former Australian Rules player Aisake O hAilp?n starred for the Rebels.

O'hAilp?n was a constant thorn in Dublin?s defence and his performance at full-forward in the 3-22 to 0-14 rout has pushed the on-trial Na Piarsaigh star firmly into contention for a starting place against Tipperary in the Munster SHC showdown on May 31.

Daly, meanwhile, has urged his players to heed the harsh lesson dished out by Cork at Wexford venue Oylgate on Saturday ahead of their Leinster SHC opener against Antrim on June 7. Dublin are 1/7 favourites with some bookmakers but those are odds that have astonished former Clare captain and manager Daly.

The two-time All-Ireland senior medallist said: "Dublin got a timely reminder that league and championship are two completely different ball games.

"We got a lesson and it just shows that we can?t be running away with ourselves. We might have gone well in the league but championship is a different animal. Dublin have a serious amount of work to do. We have four weeks to go to the Antrim game and we need some serious hurling but above all, mental toughening."

Dublin also have serious injury problems to contend with as they prepare for the visit of the Saffrons.

Ronan Fallon is a massive doubt with a broken metatarsal bone in his foot and the centre back will be in plaster for another ten days.

Tom?s Brady, Ross O?Carroll and Peter Kelly did not feature against Cork because of hamstring injuries while the manager?s injury concerns have been exacerbated by a dead leg sustained by captain Stephen Hiney.

Niall Corcoran is currently on the treatment table with an ankle problem while Joey Boland, David O?Callaghan and goalkeeper Gary Maguire did not feature at the weekend because of a flu bug which has swept through the Dublin camp. Michael Carton and Dave Curtin were Dublin?s most effective performers while Cork boss Denis Walsh will have been most pleased by the displays of midfielder Jerry O?Connor and Kieran McGann at centre-back.

In attack, Timmy McCarthy and Niall McCarthy impressed but Daly highlighted O hAilp?n for particular praise.

Daly said: "He was taken down for a penalty and caught some great ball. He was a major handful for us and looked very hungry."

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Monday, May 11, 2009

anailís

thanks for that cloot

Minder

Now if only there was a thread were we could discuss Cork hurling. . . . . . Shucks
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

theskull1

Cork must be using "the dall method" this year :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG

I think that in other years Cork would have taken these challenges in their stride but the fact that they have no hurling done means that they have to go hard at it.

I think Antrim are every bit as good hurlers as Dublin but I dont know if we have the work done to compete with them. I hear the tickets are going to be hard enough to come by with it being paired with the football.

Minder

Quote from: NAG on May 12, 2009, 09:22:48 AM
I think that in other years Cork would have taken these challenges in their stride but the fact that they have no hurling done means that they have to go hard at it.

I think Antrim are every bit as good hurlers as Dublin but I dont know if we have the work done to compete with them. I hear the tickets are going to be hard enough to come by with it being paired with the football.

Any ideas when the tickets will be available NAG?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"