Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: JamesH on April 29, 2009, 12:16:46 PM

North Antrim and SW both entering a team, although i don't know their managers. This is a good idea as a player can still play with his club an get the chance to play in the senior championship. This in turn will in turn stop the Belfast clubs IE Johnnies, Rossa poaching players with promises of gold , silver and senior hurling. A wee bird told me this morning that a county player left the panel last night, daddy to hard to listen to.

Terry Jr or Woody Jr ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

JamesH

Silly me i forget they both got the sons on the panel. Terry jnr

NAG

Dont worry the word is even though they have a panel of 25-30 committed players and that is the main thing they are going around asking clubs if they could have more players to join the panel! Not so settled after 3 years after all!  :(

slow corner back

Quote from: theskull1 on April 29, 2009, 12:18:22 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 29, 2009, 08:47:57 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 29, 2009, 08:42:12 AM
Quick question:

In antrim if you win the Intermediate champonship can you play in it the year after or do you have to go up a grade to senior?

You can play in it the year after as Gort Na Mona have won it for the last 11 years.

On that point.

Are there any intermediate clubs out there who have well defined aspiration/plans to become a senior club and progress from there? Or has the need for any sort of silverware damped the enthusiasim to raise standards to the higher level?  Not convinced there are any out there that have any such plan at the minute. Am I wrong?

Wel whoever they are they sure aint Armoy ??? On a more serious note Gort Na Mona did manage to get to a minor final last year which suggests they are putting in a decent effort and in fairness to them Cushendun have been in a senior championship final this decade something which Ballycastle or St Johns have not managed. I know Cushendun have gone backwards since then but at least they were there on the back of the St Pats minor team from a few years ago. At a lower level Cloughmills and Rasharkin are both making headway transforming themselves from Junior to intermediate clubs and Clooney Gaels have already achieved this. Due to the high scoring/ high skill level in hurling I believe it is harder to move up the grades than in football. 15 super fit super commited club footballers could win a lot of matches ( up to a certain level), in hurling I believe it takes years of coaching from U-8 right up through.

milltown row

Quote from: NAG on April 29, 2009, 04:23:41 PM
Dont worry the word is even though they have a panel of 25-30 committed players and that is the main thing they are going around asking clubs if they could have more players to join the panel! Not so settled after 3 years after all!  :(

are you talking about the South Antrim select? i doubt that some clubs will be wanting their players involved due to the timing of the games. intermed. championship is only days apart from the senior championship. unfair on players and their clubs should they get injured while playing for the select team

clootfromthe21

For anyone who wants to kill time at work, the 1991 semi between Down and Cork is now on youtube along with the 1993 semi against Kilkenny (the one that got away!)

Minder

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on April 30, 2009, 06:51:05 PM
For anyone who wants to kill time at work, the 1991 semi between Down and Cork is now on youtube along with the 1993 semi against Kilkenny (the one that got away!)
I think Down and Cork was '92 Cloot when Mc Grattan got an All Star that year, and the one that got away with Kilkenny was '91, we played them in '93 alright but got hammered

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Minder on April 30, 2009, 07:08:01 PM
Quote from: clootfromthe21 on April 30, 2009, 06:51:05 PM
I think Down and Cork was '92 Cloot when Mc Grattan got an All Star that year, and the one that got away with Kilkenny was '91, we played them in '93 alright but got hammered

Jeez Minder, you are quite right. What can I say - long day at work (surfing the net!). "From Tallow" (the lad who has put them up) has it down as 1991, but that's no excuse on my part.

1990 was us against Cork where Big Neilly made the save of the season;

1991 was the one that got away;

1992 was Down against Cork; and

1993 was where we were 3 points up at half time and got blown away by KK in the second half.

Profuse apologies.

Fairhead

Quote from: slow corner back on April 29, 2009, 10:28:14 PM
Quick question:

In antrim if you win the Intermediate champonship can you play in it the year after or do you have to go up a grade to senior?

You can play in it the year after as Gort Na Mona have won it for the last 11 years.

On that point.

Are there any intermediate clubs out there who have well defined aspiration/plans to become a senior club and progress from there? Or has the need for any sort of silverware damped the enthusiasim to raise standards to the higher level?  Not convinced there are any out there that have any such plan at the minute. Am I wrong?

Wel whoever they are they sure aint Armoy ??? On a more serious note Gort Na Mona did manage to get to a minor final last year which suggests they are putting in a decent effort and in fairness to them Cushendun have been in a senior championship final this decade something which Ballycastle or St Johns have not managed. I know Cushendun have gone backwards since then but at least they were there on the back of the St Pats minor team from a few years ago. At a lower level Cloughmills and Rasharkin are both making headway transforming themselves from Junior to intermediate clubs and Clooney Gaels have already achieved this. Due to the high scoring/ high skill level in hurling I believe it is harder to move up the grades than in football. 15 super fit super commited club footballers could win a lot of matches ( up to a certain level), in hurling I believe it takes years of coaching from U-8 right up through.

I am surprised at you scb, you usually seem to be spot on when it comes to your history of matches in Antrim but i think you will find that Ballycastle did play in the county final in this decade and it was after Cushendun made it to the final in 2000. 2001 was the year in case your wondering and Dunloy came from 6 back at half time to win by 3 or 4.

Nice touch by Justin McCarthy again bringing his team up to Antrim in preparation for the championship.

milltown row

Quote from: Fairhead on April 30, 2009, 08:03:54 PM
Quote from: slow corner back on April 29, 2009, 10:28:14 PM
Quick question:

On that point.

I am surprised at you scb, you usually seem to be spot on when it comes to your history of matches in Antrim but i think you will find that Ballycastle did play in the county final in this decade and it was after Cushendun made it to the final in 2000. 2001 was the year in case your wondering and Dunloy came from 6 back at half time to win by 3 or 4.

Nice touch by Justin McCarthy again bringing his team up to Antrim in preparation for the championship.

and our minors got to the hurling final

johnneycool

Quote from: milltown row on April 27, 2009, 03:20:52 PM
also just heard Nag that they are playing Clare in Dublin one saturday and a weekend away is also being arranged. hope its during the football weekends. though are lads are dual players so the management wont be fussed on that either.

game against Limerick is in Ballycastle sat night

I'm hearing on the grapevine that Down are also playing Limerick up in Ballycastle on saturday night and as a result ourselves and Ballycran have brought our ACHL game forward to 7.00pm tonight.
Can any of you confirm whether that's true?

Maybe Justin is lining his first 15 out against Antrim with his reserves playing Down on another pitch at the same time!

Minder

Quote from: johnneycool on May 01, 2009, 08:25:20 AM
Quote from: milltown row on April 27, 2009, 03:20:52 PM
also just heard Nag that they are playing Clare in Dublin one saturday and a weekend away is also being arranged. hope its during the football weekends. though are lads are dual players so the management wont be fussed on that either.

game against Limerick is in Ballycastle sat night

I'm hearing on the grapevine that Down are also playing Limerick up in Ballycastle on saturday night and as a result ourselves and Ballycran have brought our ACHL game forward to 7.00pm tonight.
Can any of you confirm whether that's true?

Maybe Justin is lining his first 15 out against Antrim with his reserves playing Down on another pitch at the same time!

On Antrim website it says the matches are at 2.15pm v Down, and 4pm v Antrim.

JamesH

I think it would it would be wiser if Justin played his own res as neither of the other two teams will give Limerick a game.

Minder

Quote from: JamesH on May 01, 2009, 09:54:40 AM
I think it would it would be wiser if Justin played his own res as neither of the other two teams will give Limerick a game.

It depends how much booze the Limerick lads have on Friday, mind you that is taking a leap of faith that our boys wouldnt be drinking............

JamesH

I heard last night the searlas out for a few weeks with a broken hand, and Shane def left the panel, lack of Man/Daddy management skills.
Why would our boys be off the drink? is that not now a built in training session, Thur/Friday night at the Bot?