Previous topic - Next topic

SASLinger

Quote from: theskull1 on April 17, 2009, 11:05:30 PM
Quote from: SASLinger on April 17, 2009, 09:01:55 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 17, 2009, 01:34:46 PM
Quote from: milltown row on April 17, 2009, 01:30:30 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 17, 2009, 01:22:43 PM
Quote from: the colonel on April 17, 2009, 01:19:21 PM
i dont think it would do any good for antrim to get promoted to be honest, they would be better staying in division 2 for at least 1 more year. will get nothing from getting hammered every game.

Agree with that Colonel, we wouldnt be competitive in Div 1. Say for arguments sake Offaly went up, you would have Clare, Antrim, Wexford providing competitive games, not to mention Westmeath if they got their finger out.

so by that thinking Glenariffe Naomh gall Gorts Rossa and some of the other teams in div 2 should all stay in that league because it's competitive? only by playing the top teams can you really develop.

How have we developed in Div 1 this last umpteen years? You dont simply "develop" by playing against better players, you have to have improved coaching structures in your own club thus improving the standard of player thus sending a better standard of player to represent the county.  ;)

I could'nt agree more Minder.  Now your on the right track, it will depend solely on the quality ond the physique of players we have available at club level and the standard of hurling being played in the county leagues.  Antrim should laways aspire to play at the top level, despite the frequent hammerings we get.  It is by playing at the top level that we will see how far off the mark we are.  Playing another year in Division 2, does not guarantee we will come through next year, especially with Clare dropping down to the same Division.  Get rid of the dead wood coaches, managers and mentors in the county and bring in people who know!

What utopian GAA world do you live in SAS? Definately correct about the proper development through underage, but to think there is this long list of willing talented coaches scratching their cahoonas waiting to be asked before they get involved is delusioned. Too many potentially good talented coaches watching sky or playing golf in this county. What happened to giving something back?

Who was talking about coaches or mentors in Antrim Mr. Know it all.  Seeing you are so vociferous on this froum and give the impression that you have the knowledge, skills and ability to do better than the past or current incumbents, why dont you put your name in the hat and take on board the the continuos ridicule and critisisms!  Put up or shut up!
Same Aul Shoite - just from a different bucket mouth!

milltown row

what are you talking about??

the colonel

i dont think he ever had 'a plot'
the difference between success and failure is energy

milltown row

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on April 18, 2009, 04:27:23 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 18, 2009, 03:54:26 PM
What price are Antrim tomorrow?

Minder,

Antrim are at 4-1 and Offaly at 1-5 to win on paddypower.com. Dunno how much thought has gone into those odds by Mr Power as, in the first to score a goal betting, he has M Pollock at 8-1, followed by D Edwards, P Cunningham and some more footballers!!!

just seen that on paddy power, brilliant. my money is on Gallagher, quality hurler and at a good price 16/1

slow corner back

Not loking great at the minute, goal before half time put the tin lid on things, overall Offally can take points from 60-70 yards wheras we need to be within about 40 to score. Difficult to see us getting enough scores to come back in the second half

Baile an tuaigh

Just got the oppurtunity to see Antrim playing and by God it's awfull stuff to watch. I have never seen a team with such poor disapline. Aimliss passing, given up possesion cheaply not fit to utilise space poor first touch. Even the free taking is brutal. Seriously that is embarrasing. That Offaly team will be coming back down from division one next year but at least their trying to Hurl.

youngfella

What is the score? What way did the team line out?
Pull hard and early

glens73

1-13 to 0-7 for Offaly.

They're just much more natural hurlers, though Antrim are poor in their positioning and discipline

slow corner back

All over 1-18 to 13 points. Offally had the better score takers and deservedly won the match. After 30 minutes the score was 0-8 to 0-6 but by half time it was 1-11 to 0-6 and McManus had been yellow carded. Antrim never recovered from that although the gap was closed to four points with about ten minutes to go but then Offally lifted it again and ran out fairly easy winners.
Was it just me or was the ref today a little podgy lol

Tony Baloney

Quote from: slow corner back on April 19, 2009, 04:07:39 PM
All over 1-18 to 13 points. Offally had the better score takers and deservedly won the match. After 30 minutes the score was 0-8 to 0-6 but by half time it was 1-11 to 0-6 and McManus had been yellow carded. Antrim never recovered from that although the gap was closed to four points with about ten minutes to go but then Offally lifted it again and ran out fairly easy winners.
Yes the gap got to 4 points but there was never any danger of Antrim pushing on for the win or draw. There was just no intensity to their play and they couldn't force Offally to leave third gear.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: slow corner back on April 19, 2009, 04:07:39 PM

Offaly always that bit better. While before I would never have admitted it, after that reality check, I'm happy enough to be staying in division 2 next year. Whatever about playing the best, a series of hidings in Division 1 would be no use at all. Quite fearful about the Dublin game at this stage.

slow corner back

I think we can play much better than today but probably not well enough to see off Dublin who seem to be heading in the right direction much quicker than us. We could start by playing six forwards in the forward line instead of three. I know we were missing a few today but both Paddy Magill and Micko Herron made a difference when they came on.

slow corner back

Jingo was certainly badly treated but until the end of the year at least we have W+S to lead us so we might as well get on with it. No point in starting a bring back Jingo campaign as a) he already has a job in Down and B) he probably does not want the Antrim job again

Minder

Quote from: hardstation on April 19, 2009, 09:01:58 PM
As Woody says, "Who cares?"

Bring back Jingo.

In all seriousness, where have S&W brought us? Why did we dick Jingo?
Did he say "who cares"? I thought Antrim were poor today. They played with the intensity of a challenge game and to make it worse that is a poor Offaly team and they were never out of third gear. I thought the half back line  struggled, Nealy Mc Garry in particular, in fairness it was probably Offalys strongest line. The yellow card for Mc Manus didnt really influence the outcome of the game as he wasnt having any impact up to that point.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

slow corner back

Quote from: Minder on April 19, 2009, 09:22:28 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 19, 2009, 09:01:58 PM
As Woody says, "Who cares?"

Bring back Jingo.

In all seriousness, where have S&W brought us? Why did we dick Jingo?
Did he say "who cares"? I thought Antrim were poor today. They played with the intensity of a challenge game and to make it worse that is a poor Offaly team and they were never out of third gear. I thought the half back line  struggled, Nealy Mc Garry in particular, in fairness it was probably Offalys strongest line. The yellow card for Mc Manus didnt really influence the outcome of the game as he wasnt having any impact up to that point.

I thought Neal McGarry was doing full back with Cormac Donnelly at centre half? You are right about Offally half forwards being strong, it was the ability of this line to take scores that made the difference. Not sure about the intensity thing, players were trying quite a few black and yellow cards about tends to suggest both sides putting in effort. I agree with you about McManus though, needs moved back into defence preferably CHB.