Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the colonel

i dont think it would do any good for antrim to get promoted to be honest, they would be better staying in division 2 for at least 1 more year. will get nothing from getting hammered every game.
the difference between success and failure is energy

Minder

Quote from: the colonel on April 17, 2009, 01:19:21 PM
i dont think it would do any good for antrim to get promoted to be honest, they would be better staying in division 2 for at least 1 more year. will get nothing from getting hammered every game.

Agree with that Colonel, we wouldnt be competitive in Div 1. Say for arguments sake Offaly went up, you would have Clare, Antrim, Wexford providing competitive games, not to mention Westmeath if they got their finger out.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

your right two hands,

Colonel i'm sure everyone thought that Dublin would be getting stuffed in every game, they were a drawn game away from a final!! one more year getting pushed by westmeath Carlow!! and Kerry will do nothing for development. leagues are for winning.

Minder

Quote from: milltown row on April 17, 2009, 01:24:39 PM
your right two hands,

Colonel i'm sure everyone thought that Dublin would be getting stuffed in every game, they were a drawn game away from a final!! one more year getting pushed by westmeath Carlow!! and Kerry will do nothing for development. leagues are for winning.

Do you think we would push Tipp, Limerick and beat Galway the way Dublin have ? You could see Dublin progressing, especially with their U-21's progress. We aint shown s*it, as the man said.......

milltown row

Quote from: Minder on April 17, 2009, 01:22:43 PM

Agree with that Colonel, we wouldnt be competitive in Div 1. Say for arguments sake Offaly went up, you would have Clare, Antrim, Wexford providing competitive games, not to mention Westmeath if they got their finger out.

so by that thinking Glenariffe Naomh gall Gorts Rossa and some of the other teams in div 2 should all stay in that league because it's competitive? only by playing the top teams can you really develop.

Two Hands FFS

MR I didnt think Dublin would get hammered in the league.(although it could happen this weekend)  They've done well in the league in the year or so & especially with Daly on board I kind of expected them to push on. Last couple of years they should have beaten Wexford(especially last year) & ran Cork very close in the championship down there.

Minder

Quote from: milltown row on April 17, 2009, 01:30:30 PM

so by that thinking Glenariffe Naomh gall Gorts Rossa and some of the other teams in div 2 should all stay in that league because it's competitive? only by playing the top teams can you really develop.

How have we developed in Div 1 this last umpteen years? You dont simply "develop" by playing against better players, you have to have improved coaching structures in your own club thus improving the standard of player thus sending a better standard of player to represent the county.  ;)

the colonel

i really can't see the benefits of being in division 1 until we have a strong enough squad to cope with that standard of hurling. Division 2 will give us another year of tough games in which we should be in a strong position to compete in division 1 in 2011.

boys like mcmanus, graffin, hippy, shiels etc will still only be 23 by that stage. apart from delargy, the 2 mcgarry's, 2 younger herrons, (maybe even the black eye'd broken armed wonder) and a couple more who else would still be about in 2011.
the difference between success and failure is energy

SASLinger

Quote from: Minder on April 17, 2009, 01:34:46 PM

How have we developed in Div 1 this last umpteen years? You dont simply "develop" by playing against better players, you have to have improved coaching structures in your own club thus improving the standard of player thus sending a better standard of player to represent the county.  ;)

I could'nt agree more Minder.  Now your on the right track, it will depend solely on the quality ond the physique of players we have available at club level and the standard of hurling being played in the county leagues.  Antrim should laways aspire to play at the top level, despite the frequent hammerings we get.  It is by playing at the top level that we will see how far off the mark we are.  Playing another year in Division 2, does not guarantee we will come through next year, especially with Clare dropping down to the same Division.  Get rid of the dead wood coaches, managers and mentors in the county and bring in people who know!
Same Aul Shoite - just from a different bucket mouth!

theskull1

Quote from: SASLinger on April 17, 2009, 09:01:55 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 17, 2009, 01:34:46 PM

I could'nt agree more Minder.  Now your on the right track, it will depend solely on the quality ond the physique of players we have available at club level and the standard of hurling being played in the county leagues.  Antrim should laways aspire to play at the top level, despite the frequent hammerings we get.  It is by playing at the top level that we will see how far off the mark we are.  Playing another year in Division 2, does not guarantee we will come through next year, especially with Clare dropping down to the same Division.  Get rid of the dead wood coaches, managers and mentors in the county and bring in people who know!

What utopian GAA world do you live in SAS? Definately correct about the proper development through underage, but to think there is this long list of willing talented coaches scratching their cahoonas waiting to be asked before they get involved is delusioned. Too many potentially good talented coaches watching sky or playing golf in this county. What happened to giving something back?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

i've said before its the hardest job in the world. most coaches are out three times a week and it has a self life of around 4/5 years before you lose faith. i did it with my club for 6/7 years felt i wasn't making any inroads at all. kids leaving for other clubs, poor investment and constant struggle to put teams out. things have turned round though lately and success although at b level, is bearing fruit.

hit the primary schools at p3/4 level that were the interest is started

stevecw

And i suppose Carlow will just be a pushover of course! They weren't the only team in div 2 so far to actually beat Antrim or anything were they?!!!

Minder

What price are Antrim tomorrow?

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Minder on April 18, 2009, 03:54:26 PM
What price are Antrim tomorrow?

Minder,

Antrim are at 4-1 and Offaly at 1-5 to win on paddypower.com. Dunno how much thought has gone into those odds by Mr Power as, in the first to score a goal betting, he has M Pollock at 8-1, followed by D Edwards, P Cunningham and some more footballers!!!

theskull1

Quote from: theskull1 on April 17, 2009, 11:05:30 PM
Quote from: SASLinger on April 17, 2009, 09:01:55 PM
I could'nt agree more Minder.  Now your on the right track, it will depend solely on the quality ond the physique of players we have available at club level and the standard of hurling being played in the county leagues.  Antrim should laways aspire to play at the top level, despite the frequent hammerings we get.  It is by playing at the top level that we will see how far off the mark we are.  Playing another year in Division 2, does not guarantee we will come through next year, especially with Clare dropping down to the same Division.  Get rid of the dead wood coaches, managers and mentors in the county and bring in people who know!

What utopian GAA world do you live in SAS? Definately correct about the proper development through underage, but to think there is this long list of willing talented coaches scratching their cahoonas waiting to be asked before they get involved is delusioned. Too many potentially good talented coaches watching sky or playing golf in this county. What happened to giving something back?

SAS. You could have just agreed with me rather than deleting it? I can be magnaminous about these things  ;)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera