Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG

Milltown this is the bit that is really getting to me and annoying me. They have had 3 years now to look at players is it not about time that we were getting a settled team bar a couple of injuries/ suspensions. We are continually pissing about with the team and the boys are getting used to playing with one another and getting into a system of hurling.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: milltown row on April 06, 2009, 02:54:02 PM
sorry cloot, mis heard info in club yesterday.

so who can Sambo bring into the squad?  will he look at players once the season starts or stick with the players he has already?

I would imagine the line in the Irish News will be that the door is always open and anyone can play his way into the squad/team.

However, surely to God, the reality must be that, with the obvious exception of Winker, there is nobody else out there at the minute with any serious potential. Is there?

clootfromthe21

Quote from: NAG on April 06, 2009, 03:26:44 PM
Milltown this is the bit that is really getting to me and annoying me. They have had 3 years now to look at players is it not about time that we were getting a settled team bar a couple of injuries/ suspensions. We are continually pissing about with the team and the boys are getting used to playing with one another and getting into a system of hurling.

I have to agree NAG. S&W seem to have the attitude that if a player is good enough he can play anywhere, which might cut it at club level, but you can get badly found out at inter-county.

For example, to accomodate Johnny Campbell coming back into the team yesterday, Sean Delargy got moved from corner back to wing forward. I think Delargy on his day is an excellent corner back, but all the shifting around can't help a settled team develop.

I think it was Maxpower that pointed out our (relative) abundance of riches at half back - McAuley, McKeegan, Campbell, Herron (C), McManus and (arguably) Graffin are all natural half backs. S&W have to decide on the first 3 and play them consistently - its only fair to them and to the rest of the team.

NAG

The only reason that SD ended up in the defence was because he was making no head way as a forward. I think he is one of the better corner back options that we have but he def is not a forward.

milltown row

after the match this sunday i hope that S&W sit down and look at how we are going to beat Dublin. I'd say they will have analyzed the dublin team, watched various vidoes and workout their game plan. picked out weaknesses and have a game plan that will upset the Dublin team and win the match.  ;) ;)

theskull1

Just like that!!!!  :D
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

theskull1

Quote from: groundlie on April 06, 2009, 07:54:01 PM
They could do with players like tosh and mcfall to bring these young lads on, instead of throwing them into the deep end!

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Fairhead

Quote from: slow corner back on April 05, 2009, 02:57:13 PM
From the county website Cross & Passion College Ballycastle won the O'Keefe Cup (All Ireland College B Hurling) at Pairc Esler Newry on Saturday when they beat Colaiste Eoin from Dublin by 3-12 to 1-11 in a thrilling final.
The North Antrim boys were dominant during the opening half when playing with the aid of stiff breeze, and two goals from Ciaran Clarke and one from Matthew Donnelly gave them a three goal interval lead, despite playing for most of the half with fourteen men after having a player sent-off after just five minutes.
The Dublin college fought back well in the second half but Cross & Passion were always in control and sealed the school's first All Ireland hurling title with a seven point win.
Scorers – C Clarke 2-6; M Donnelly 1-2; S Jenning 0-3; C McAfee 0-1

Very good win well done to all involved

Just wanted to add my congratulations for CPC's victory on Saturday. It didnt look very good for them 10 mins in to the game being 2 points down playing with the breeze and a man down. However they soon got to the pace of the game and the harrying and closing down on Col Eoin players in possession was a key factor. The Dublin side wanted to get the ball in the hand and run with it all the time so they made no use of the spare man which was poor management i thought from their point of view.

CPC were dominant up the centre of the defence with Matthew Donnelly and Sean Birt superb throughout. The 2 midfielders Laverty and Smyth worked there socks off against bigger opponents and surely over the next few years you will see Cloughmills move up from junior hurling given the number of good young players they have produced over the last few years. Shane Jennings got 3 great points from play all in the 1st half when they were most needed and then you had the man of the match in Ciaran Clarke with 2.6. None of the rest of the lads let themselves down either so once again well done to one and all.

slow corner back

Is young Laverty a son of Geoffreys?

Fairhead

slow corner back

Will there be many of that panel still available next year Fairhead?

Baile an tuaigh

Delighted for my old school Cross and Passion to win an All-Ireland. I was totally unaware they were in the final as I've left home 14 years now. Hard to keep up to date. The very same day they were playing I wore an old Cross and Passion jacket to work. It had been laying in the wardrobe for a long time and I think I kept it there for sentimental reason's. How ironic I should put it on out of the blue when the school was involved in one of the biggest games in it's history. Was slightly disappointed Micky Dallet wasn't involved not sure where he is now. But when I went there himself the late Brian Thompson, Seamus Hegarty and Kathleen Mc Gowan were to the fore for promoting hurling. I'm sure they will take alot of satisfaction with this win where ever they may be. Cross and Passion is in the middle of a great catchment area for Hurling. With youngsters comming from Ballycastle, Baile an tuaigh ;), Cushendun, Armoy, Loughiel,  Glenariffe and Cushendall.

Sign of times when a Linfield player was training the lads. Dose anyone know if this means  C.P.C play in section A next year?

If Antrim didn't lose to Carlow they would be at the top of division two. I might be the only one here that hopes they don't get promoted. Were at a level where we can compete at at the moment. The thought of 30 point hammering's every second week dose nothing for us.

Two Hands FFS

New Season. Same old Glenariffe. 1 man sent off.

Minder

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on April 07, 2009, 08:56:46 AM
New Season. Same old Glenariffe. 1 man sent off.

Deserved it too, will be looking at 3 months i would say.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Two Hands FFS

Just asking Minder..not getting at ye. Glenariffe have had a problem with their discipline for the last few years on the pitch...wot can be done to stop it as they have some talented hurlers. Or is it just a matter of some players growing up??