Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glensman

Jesus (can't really say much more than that)...and Dublin beat Waterford.

slow corner back

Quote from: Fairhead on March 22, 2009, 12:46:38 AM
Another wee boost to Antrim hurling today with CPC's win in the All Ireland Colleges B semi final against Hosptital from Limerick. 1.11 to 0.10 was the final score but in truth CPC were never in too much bother but they just couldnt kill the game off. You cant say that too often about Antrim teams in All Ireland semi finals!

Any idea who you get in the final fairhead? Some excellent work been done in there two all ireland finals in three years is some achievement for a comprehensive school.

imtommygunn

That is a horrendous result - players sent off or not!

We need to get the finger out or like sambo says kerry and laois will beat us too.

Dublin are looking all the more ominous.

Minder

Are things any different now to previous regimes? I remember Sambo saying that things would be different, there would be no carryouts on the bus etc etc......... It all sounds very familiar. I also heard from a reliable source that the University players went on the rip the night before the Westmeath game because Antrim management told them they could as they wouldnt be needed the next day...........  ???
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

TheDoc

Indisciplined Antrim beaten by Carlow in NHL Div 2

Antrim hurlers unbeaten run in Division 2 of the Allianz National Hurling League came to an abrupt end at Dr Cullen Park on Sunday when they were beaten by three points by Carlow after a scrappy and undisciplined display.
Facing a stiff breeze in the opening half Antrim started reasonably well but their lost their way as the half progressed and the dismissal of full-back Cormac Donnelly for a yellow card offence and goalkeeper Ryan McGarry for a straight red offence dealt their chances a heavy blow.
Antrim were now in disarray and before the break they conceded a second goal when Carlow substitute pulled a ground stroke to the net after good work by the home side's best player Paudi Kehoe.
Eight points behind at the break Antrim looked like they could close the gap as they started the second half with much more vigour, but their insistence to go for goals when easy points were there for the taking cost them dearly.
A series of points from frees by Paul Shiels saw them close the gap to a single point at one stage, but the concession of a third goal and the loss of Paddy Richmond from another straight red card all but killed off the fight-back.
Substitute Neil McManus did manage to grab a late goal from a penalty but it was too little too late and Carlow held on for a deserved win, a result which all but ends Antrim's promotion chances.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand

TheDoc

Quote from: groundlie on March 22, 2009, 09:32:04 PM
How can they keep picking the same players who have been playing so poorly week in week not just this year, but over the last three years.
There are players in that team who know that no matter what they will start every week. The previous results should now hit home that certain players need to get out of their little comfort zones.

I hope that Dublin is the last thing that these boys are thinking about. I fear that we could get beat by Laois, I really do. All I can say is dont quit.

Very true.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand

NAG

What is going on seems like the wheels have well and truly come off the wagon!

Tony Baloney

They seem to be having real bother motivating themselves for matches against "lesser" teams. Unfortunately they are realising that they are actually Antrim and not Kilkenny and still need to pull the finger out in all their matches. At this stage of the year it must be a mental rather physical problem. Stories of going out on the pish doesn't exactly help.

youngfella

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 23, 2009, 01:23:07 PM
They seem to be having real bother motivating themselves for matches against "lesser" teams. Unfortunately they are realising that they are actually Antrim and not Kilkenny and still need to pull the finger out in all their matches. At this stage of the year it must be a mental rather physical problem. Stories of going out on the pish doesn't exactly help.

Id totally agree with you, would do no harm to bring in a sports and spend a few sessions with the lads.
Pull hard and early

Guillem2

Carlow have improved in recent years but remember the hidin we gave them in the Christy Ring final? I couldnt see this one coming despite the poor show against Westmeath.

Any talk of promotion is maddness now. Lets concentration on playing well as a team against Laois, get the result and improve the aul discipline. You can't expect to beat anybody if we have 13 and they have 15.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

clootfromthe21

Another wee boost to Antrim hurling today with CPC's win in the All Ireland Colleges B semi final against Hosptital from Limerick. 1.11 to 0.10 was the final score but in truth CPC were never in too much bother but they just couldnt kill the game off. You cant say that too often about Antrim teams in All Ireland semi finals!

Think they play Colaiste Eoin of Dublin (who beat Loughrea) in the final - presumably in Newry or Dundalk. Lets hope they can lay down a marker for June!

Fairhead

Quote from: slow corner back on March 22, 2009, 08:59:01 PM

Any idea who you get in the final fairhead? Some excellent work been done in there two all ireland finals in three years is some achievement for a comprehensive school.

It is Colaiste Eoin from Stillorgan in Dublin. They would get a lot of their players from Crokes who are very strong underage and they supplied a good chunk of the South Dublin combined team that got to the Leinster A Colleges semi final. CPC will be doing very well to get by these boys but at least they are there. Thats 5 yrs in a row Ulster schools have got to this B final (Maghera twice, St Marys once and CPC twice now) although only 1 victory to date by Maghera. Its on April 4 and as Cloot says it will probably around Dundalk or Newry.

JamesH

I Heard the Antrim team this morning for the Kerry match,

1. C O Connell
2. Sean Delargy
3. Hippy
4. C Mc Gourty
5. Graffin
6. N Mc Auley
7. Searlas
8. Brendan Herron
9. Eddie Mc Closkey
10. Karl Stewart
11. N Mc Manus
12. Paddy Doc
13. Pj O Connell
14. Pinky
15 .Shane Mc Naughton

Not a bad team i suppose, heard Shorty ,JC, and Ciaran Herron, were injured.

clootfromthe21

So is the show going to get back on the road this Sunday, or are we in for another surprise????

Any inside line on the "hard talking" done on Tuesday night?

One thing is certain - following Antrim hurling is full of surprises (except perhaps when we play Kilkenny, Cork, Tipp, Galway . . . . .)

Minder

Is Paddy Doherty a regular for Dunloy?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"