Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlayWithTheWind

Its not over til the fat lady sings!

Minder

Fcuk, another "hard hitting" Mc Gourty trying their hand at journalism, i use the term journalism loosely when it comes to the Andytown News.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

NAG

Not defending the article by any means but it must be hard to get any sort of excitement generated about the Antrim Football championship.

milltown row

its a fine article

i'll read it tonight when i get home from training

Tony Baloney

Quote from: milltown row on March 05, 2009, 05:14:53 PM
its a fine article

i'll read it tonight when i get home from training
You knew that before reading it?
Quote from: Minder on March 05, 2009, 03:37:38 PM
Fcuk, another "hard hitting" Mc Gourty trying their hand at journalism, i use the term journalism loosely when it comes to the Andytown News.........
And they're usually so publicity shy  ::)

milltown row

You have heard of sarcasm ;)

TheDoc

Anyone heard the result of the UUJ match today?

I heard St. Mary's won easy.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand

milltown row

whats your take on playing the ball out of defence? watching Antrim last few games I've noticed that most of our players what to knock the ball a hundred yards up the field without looking where it goes, no cross field ball or 30 yard pass to an unmarked player (from the same team hopefully)

usually those wild high long balls come straight back up the pitch. as a defender (in my hay day) that was the ball that you won most times. the dreaded ball was the cross field low diagonal ball or hard low ball in. forwards usually won them or if they didn't it was because they did not control it.

i noticed on Sunday Sean Delargy giving off to McGourty for not driving a ball out of defence, he'd knock a perfectly good ball to an unmarked player who then fcuked it up.

I've watched many good teams over the years and Dunloy were always very good and short pass out of defence to an unmarked man

clootfromthe21

Quote from: TheDoc on March 06, 2009, 06:14:23 PM

Think they won by 5 and play Mary Immaculate of Limerick in the final tomorrow.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on March 06, 2009, 07:50:46 PM
Quote from: TheDoc on March 06, 2009, 06:14:23 PM

Think they won by 5 and play Mary Immaculate of Limerick in the final tomorrow.

Just updating myself:

Ulster Bank Fitzgibbon Cup Semi-Finals
UCC 1-18 WIT 2-14
UL 3-20 Cork IT 2-11

Ulster Bank Ryan Cup Semi-Finals
UUJ 2-12 NUI Maynooth 0-13
Mary Immaculate College, Limerick 0-13 IT Tralee 1-8

Ulster Bank Fergal Maher Cup Semi-Finals
Napier University 6-23 Colaiste Mhuire Marino 0-3
St Marys-BMC 3-16 King's Inns 0-6

bredaghgael86

Quote from: milltown row on March 06, 2009, 07:05:05 PM
whats your take on playing the ball out of defence? watching Antrim last few games I've noticed that most of our players what to knock the ball a hundred yards up the field without looking where it goes, no cross field ball or 30 yard pass to an unmarked player (from the same team hopefully)

usually those wild high long balls come straight back up the pitch. as a defender (in my hay day) that was the ball that you won most times. the dreaded ball was the cross field low diagonal ball or hard low ball in. forwards usually won them or if they didn't it was because they did not control it.

i noticed on Sunday Sean Delargy giving off to McGourty for not driving a ball out of defence, he'd knock a perfectly good ball to an unmarked player who then fcuked it up.

I've watched many good teams over the years and Dunloy were always very good and short pass out of defence to an unmarked man

I think that when its the sensible option and the man is free the short pass should definetly be the first option.  On sunday i didnt like wexfords style of play at all, i thought it was much too over-elaborate and caused them uneccessary problems.  I thought antrims problem was they took the wrong option when trying to play the ball out, trying to hit a man when it wasnt really on etc.  However the times they picked the right pass they looked very slick with some really impressive passages of play.
I know its easy to say, but if they can eradicate these decision making mistakes from their game, then their performances will go up another level.  Overall i would encourage teams to play the ball simple when at all possible, plpaying to a man instead of a 50/50 ball.

theskull1

Quote from: hardstation on March 07, 2009, 01:50:17 AM
Flip side of the coin, and it depends on the situation, of course, is that if the ball is in your back line for a while and you get it in your hand, you think "Would this bastarding thing ever f**k off" and you drive it up the pitch. A big clearance is at least a clearance. A wee pass means that the ball is still in there, in your back line and what thon **** will probably do is bang it up the pitch anyway. Clear your lines. Your point about someone else f**king it up, milltown, is a bit stupid.  Would you rather someone f**k it up 30 yards from goal or 90 yards from goal? The 'f**k up' factor will always be there. One would think that you are just shifting the blame.

HS needs a shrink.  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Two Hands FFS

Hurling panel v Westmeath 8th March 2009
06 March 2009
Antrim panel for match v Westmeath  8th March 2009 at Casement Park

1 ryan mc garry              mc quillans

2 kieran mc gourty         st galls

3 neil mc garry               shamrocks

4 sean delargy               ruairi og

5 karl mc keegan            ruairi og

6 neal mc auley              mc quillans

7 johnny campbell          shamrocks

8 brendan herron            lamh dhearg

9 paul shiels                   cuchullains

10 karl stewart                st galls

11 colm duffin                tir na nog

12 eddie mc closkey      shamrocks

13 pj o connell               clooney gaels

14 shane mc naughton    ruairi og

15 michael herron           lamh dhearg

16 chris o connell           shamrocks

17 paddy doherty           cuchullains

18 dan mc killop             oisins

19 joey scullion              shamrocks

20 simon mc crory          st johns

21 conor mc kinley          cuchullains

22 aaron graffin              ruairi og

23 paddy mc gill             ruairi og

24 kevin sheerin              tir na nog

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

Quote from: hardstation on March 07, 2009, 01:50:17 AM
Flip side of the coin, and it depends on the situation, of course, is that if the ball is in your back line for a while and you get it in your hand, you think "Would this bastarding thing ever f**k off" and you drive it up the pitch. A big clearance is at least a clearance. A wee pass means that the ball is still in there, in your back line and what thon **** will probably do is bang it up the pitch anyway. Clear your lines. Your point about someone else f**king it up, milltown, is a bit stupid.  Would you rather someone f**k it up 30 yards from goal or 90 yards from goal? The 'f**k up' factor will always be there. One would think that you are just shifting the blame.

i'm not shifting blame just highlighting what i witnessed on Sunday. Kilkenny blast the ball out of defence all the time and it works for them. Cork used to play the ball out of defence and that worked for them.  

just wanted to hear opinions on defence clearing ball

said in irsih news he was injured Minder

another thing i've noticed recently is teams dropping players deep for the puck outs. leaving the corner back free for a quick puck out from the keeper. Wexford did it a few times and got away with it but when Antrim did it we f*cked it up.