Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

Well said Syd couldnt agree more

Arthur_Friend

Syd the Sailor, despite your obviously being a bit light on the loafers (all those lonely days and nights on the southern seas, no doubt) I'd say I have to agree with you about alcohol being the problem with the Antrim hurlers.

Its just as well Sambo(TM) has given up his column in the Irish News!!!!

Syd The Sailor

Well Arthur he was always quick to put the knife into Dinny/Jingo in his column so it will be interesting to see how he deals with the media especially if the hammerings like today continue
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

Gnevin

Their was talk of Antrim under-age playing in Leinster with a view on the Senior team playing , What you think
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

BottleOfStout

Gnevin.  I agree with such proposals.  The Ulster championship is a complete irrevelance now esp with no route to All-Ireland from  it.  Both minor and Senior should enter Leinster asap

Syd The Sailor

I wonder if the players that so publicly wanted a change of manager last year feel Sambo & Woody have taken them, as they put it, to "the next level"........

johnjoe

Syd, it seems you are revelling in the defeat! Sambo and Woody are undertaking a PROCESS. It will take at least a few years, and the managing the drink culture is just one part of that. Bulking up our players, core stability and all that, is just another part.

I accept that Jingo must be wondering "what the heck", but the bottom line for Antrim hurling is that we must row in behind the new management and give them our full support.

New level comments are not relevent. Sambo and Woody have played themselves at a level our current panellists can only dream of. Its about getting back there again, and we all  need a lot of patience. There will be no more defeats like yesterday when this team finds their feet.

Syd The Sailor

Johnjoe.....I am certainly not "revelling" in defeat and never have. I have followed Antrim the length and breadth of the country. What i am getting at is the bullshit i have been listening to all winter, that because Sambo & Woody were taking over we were gonna be far more competitive, i cant see it and i know its early days but Ger Loughnane said Antrim "gave up", i think we need to address that before we worry about "core strength" or players "bulking up". And i was also alluding to the way the 2 players went about things last year, whether they like it or not they are going to be in the spotlight even more this year because they were so public in their support for Sambo & Woody. I know its the start of a process but lets just say the start has been les than impressive

Square Ball

Quote from: Gnevin on February 19, 2007, 12:04:21 AM
Their was talk of Antrim under-age playing in Leinster with a view on the Senior team playing , What you think

Would Antrim's under age teams be able to compete with the Leinster teams? would they take heavy defeats and loose confidence?

It is a good idea to compete against better teams to improve your own performance, but would it work with the under aged teams as they move up?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

imtommygunn

The last couple of years they'd have been fit to compete with, and possibly beat, the best in Leinster.

On an average year they should at least be fit to compete with the likes of Laois and maybe Offaly as they possibly don't produce too many strong underage teams due to county size. Beating Kilkennys and Wexfords might be too big an ask but in the odd good year you never know.

I always thought a problem was that up until minor antrim competed in B championships. This then led to a big step up come AI semi or quarter final time at minor level which was just too big a shock to the system.

The last Antrim teams to play in Leinster included Sambo and the like and you saw how they developed at senior level.

tayto

Well i think Antrim and Galway should join up with the top Leinster counties and form an "ireland minus munster Championship" at all age levels. The Antrim minors from the last couple of years would have competed well from the little I saw.

The name might need a bit of work!

Arthur_Friend

Syd the Sailor,

And what have you ever done for Antrim hurling (besides moan?). I bet you wouldn't even cut the grade...you sound like a woman scorned.

Oh yeah..........

theskull1

AF, I've been reading through each of your 4 posts. Are you a lover scorned? ::)

I look forward to some valuable contributions from yourself when you're over him.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

Quote from: Syd The Sailor on February 17, 2007, 10:52:50 PM
MilltownRow....What is happening at St Galls, has there been some sort of fallout over what division the reserve hurling team is entering. There seems to be some strong views on it on your website, a bit of a football/hurling divide. Maybe thats not accurate but hopefully you can fill us in.

Syd, if you're in a dual club you are always going to have a divide of sorts, but the current debate at the club has nothing to do with that. The debate we are having (and hopefully will be sorted out this week) is about the decision of the committee to pull out our reserve hurling team and enter it into the South Antrim league (beer belly league).  5/6 years ago we pulled out of the league because of the way it was run, games called off referees not showing and the roughness of the teams that we played.

We entered the All County leagues and this was the best move, having won division 4 and 3 and picking up a junior Championship and losing the final the next year our seconds got regular games and championship games. We then got to division 2 were we found it hard but managed to stay there until they brought in the reserve leagues.

Now our club want us to drop 4 leagues to play in a league that is pants, our senior hurlers will have no one pushing them for places and the standard of our seconds will drop as they are not playing at a higher grade. Other clubs have now dropped out of the reserves and I think this is wrong.

The thing about our web site is that we have a forum like this, it's for a bit of craic and some debates can be a bit heated but no one has fallen out. All the the posters are passionate about the club.

Arthur_Friend

Skull,

You hit the nail on the head..he wouldnt give me a reacharound, thats my beef!

Actually I agree with a lot of what Syd has to say about the new setup. I'm especially disgusted with the way Jingo was ousted. A wee birdie told me Dr. Doolittle himself was egging players on to support a regime change. Any truth in this Syd?