Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG

Minder dont think that I am getting at Dan, I am impressed with his attitude and work rate and yes it takes all types of player to make up a successful team. But I think at this level we need more from our players, when need them all to win their own ball and going forward we need them to have the ability to take scores.

Minder

Quote from: NAG on January 26, 2009, 10:37:27 AM
Minder dont think that I am getting at Dan, I am impressed with his attitude and work rate and yes it takes all types of player to make up a successful team. But I think at this level we need more from our players, when need them all to win their own ball and going forward we need them to have the ability to take scores.

Dont think you are getting at him at all, just offering an opinion. I agree his stickwork isnt his strongpoint but we have to remember the rest of the panel have not covered themselves in glory the last couple of years and so maybe Dan is worth a punt. In any case i dont think he will be starting with the strongest 15 but would be worth throwing on if the game needs changing.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

clootfromthe21

Positives

1. Thought we were reasonably competitive and kept going throughout (unfortunately not always a given with Antrim)

2. Was very impressed with both Mc Gourty and McAuley in defence (McKeegan under threat at centre half?)

3. Took some very well worked scores (Herron's goal was a clinker). One of the points at the end was worked well from one end of the field to the other.

4. Did alright in the air against KK (was at the Dublin match the previous week - KK totally dominant under the dropping ball)

5. Big crowd showed up.

Negatives

a. I know its a bit unreasonable to say it this early in the year, but KK's touch was far superior. Off the top of my head, two KK points came from foostering by C Herron and Kettle.

b. Missed a lot of very scorable frees.

c. Fair bit of hit and hope balls into the full forward line.

d. Big crowd sat there is silence for most of the game. For Christ's sake, what is it with Antrim crowds? You would have thought Herron's goal to level the game with about 15 to go would have provoked something, but after about 2 minutes it was back to the library again!

Two Hands FFS

There wasnt much on the subs when you look down that list. Dan done well when he came on, & even caught a ball off JJ Delaney(I think it was him). Micky Kettle came on for Neilly McGarry who got a yellow card for taking down Richie Hogan for the penalty.

Agree with the Cloot, the crowd was very muted, you would have thought that after his goal, Micko's punching the air & grabbing the crest would have got the crowd going  ;).

Apart from the Cushendall boys & Paddy Richmond to came back, is there any one to come back in. Were Joey Scullion & James McKeague not in the squad recently??

NAG

I hear that PR has declared himself not available for this year for the county. Might be wrong but heard that from a reliable source.

youngfella

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on January 26, 2009, 10:44:56 AM
Positives

1. Thought we were reasonably competitive and kept going throughout (unfortunately not always a given with Antrim)

2. Was very impressed with both Mc Gourty and McAuley in defence (McKeegan under threat at centre half?)

Good to see McAuley back in the squad, hope for his sake and antrims his injury has cleared up. Where abouts was he playing, imo he is a deadly centre back.
Mc Gourty is a good clever who can read the game well, good to see him getting a game, hope he sticks at the hurlin and hope sambo sticks with him.
Were abouts is Hippy?

Who was hitting the frees? how many were missed?
Pull hard and early

Minder

Always thought Ciaran Mc Gourty was the best hurler out of the three, and there never seems to be any oul bulls*it with him, i just hope he does not listen to his club manager too much and he could have a good season with Antrim.

Tony Baloney

Positives

3. Took some very well worked scores (Herron's goal was a clinker). One of the points at the end was worked well from one end of the field to the other.

4. Did alright in the air against KK (was at the Dublin match the previous week - KK totally dominant under the dropping ball)

5. Big crowd showed up.

Negatives

a. I know its a bit unreasonable to say it this early in the year, but KK's touch was far superior. Off the top of my head, two KK points came from foostering by C Herron and Kettle.

b. Missed a lot of very scorable frees.

c. Fair bit of hit and hope balls into the full forward line.

d. Big crowd sat there is silence for most of the game. For Christ's sake, what is it with Antrim crowds? You would have thought Herron's goal to level the game with about 15 to go would have provoked something, but after about 2 minutes it was back to the library again!

A lot of them didn't get involved as they were probably just there to see "possibly the greatest team ever to play hurling". And Kilkenny  ;)

clootfromthe21

Quote from: youngfella on January 26, 2009, 01:12:27 PM
Positives

Good to see McAuley back in the squad, hope for his sake and antrims his injury has cleared up. Where abouts was he playing, imo he is a deadly centre back.

He was playing centre half back.

Mc Gourty is a good clever who can read the game well, good to see him getting a game, hope he sticks at the hurlin and hope sambo sticks with him.
Were abouts is Hippy?

Shields was hitting the frees. I was very late into the game but from other contributors he missed a good few in the first half and 2/3 (albeit from distance). Who else is an obvious candidate to take the frees.

Jeez, hope Paddy Richmond comes back - could have done with him in the full forward line y'day!

slow corner back

Quote from: youngfella on January 26, 2009, 01:12:27 PM
Positives

Were abouts is Hippy?

Paul Shields was hitting the frees, started well including a lovely sideline cut then missed a few. As I said Antrim could have been further clear at half time but once the Cats upped itclass began to show, however antrim stuck at it well.

With regard to the supporter point made below there were people from Antrim sitting round me applauding KK scores and just murmuring when Antrim scored wtf is that about?

Two Hands FFS

Neal McAuley was centre half, great striker of the ball, good in the air although not the quickest especially if he is ran at.

Paul Shields was hitting the frees, missed about 4 or 5 i'd say, some of them were tough enough especially in the 2nd half against the wind(which he kept missing to the same post) which was a pity we needed a score at the time.

Minder

I have said before on here that i think the mindset of Antrim supporters, and one i have, is a large majority go to see Antrim when they are playing a top team to appreciate the opposition, not just to support Antrim. The result for Antrim is usually academic, i would prefer them to win but you have to accept the fact when they play Cork, Kilkenny Waterford etc a heavy defeat is on the cards.

NAG

Plus unless Casement has 10,000 in its atmosphere is rubbish. Had yesterdays game been played in a ground where the crowd are closer to the pitch it leaves it easier for the crowd to become involved in the match and not just sit back and observe the game in the way that they do at casement.

maxpower

Quote from: NAG on January 26, 2009, 02:40:33 PM
Plus unless Casement has 10,000 in its atmosphere is rubbish. Had yesterdays game been played in a ground where the crowd are closer to the pitch it leaves it easier for the crowd to become involved in the match and not just sit back and observe the game in the way that they do at casement.

I always said the same, but the atomsphere at recent games in Dunloy, Ballycastle & Cushendall haven't really generated a great atompshere, though i would suspect the crowd was much bigger.  Even recall Antrim beating Offaly in Loughgiels second pitch, (thanks to a beauty of an Ally Elliott goal late on) and very little of an atompshere until the goal went in.
What happens next????

milltown row

Quote from: Minder on January 26, 2009, 01:17:15 PM
Always thought Ciaran Mc Gourty was the best hurler out of the three, and there never seems to be any oul bulls*it with him, i just hope he does not listen to his club manager too much and he could have a good season with Antrim.

c**k ;)