Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

lets not dish it right away. JamesH us "frankies" have had to deal with dual status for years, add in your county players and the problem grows. but if Kerry in the football and Cork in the Hurling (and they aren't successfull counties) can do it, why not us Saffrons/Glensmen do it.

i may regret it latter when players from my club show an interest in joing the panel. but untill then.......

as for the manager, well in belfast you have many mangers that could fill in the position as regional manager. Jim Nelson, Sean McGuinness, or Crossey. they could have a good trainer with them. i'd say they still attend most local and north antrim club games so their local knowledge would be good.

Two Hands FFS

Antrim Hurling Panel v Laois
16 January 2009
The Antrim Senior Hurling  Panel for their opening game in the 2009 Walsh cup v Laois this sunday at Rathdowney,is as follows;

1 Chris O Connell Loughgiel
2 Ciaran Mc Gourty St Galls
3 Neil Mc Garry Loughgiel
4 Conor Mc Kinley Dunloy
5 Johnny Campbell Loughgiel
6 Neal McAuley Ballycastle
7 Ciaran Herron Kevin Lynch's
8 Brendan Herron Lamh Dhearg
9 Paul Shields Dunloy
10 Michael Herron Lamh Dhearg
11 Martin Scullion Loughgiel
12 Karl Stewart St Galls
13 PJ O Connell Clooney Gaels
14 Kieron Kelly Ballycastle
15 Paddy Doherty Dunloy
16 Ryan Mc Garry Ballycastle
17 Mickey Kettle Rossa
18 James Mc Keague Dunloy
19 Stephen Shannon Rossa
20 Eddie Mc Closkey Loughgiel
21 Joey Scullion Loughgiel
22 Simon Mc Corry St Johns
23 Dan Mc Killop Glenariff
24 Kevin Sheerin Tir na nOg

milltown row

two Galls men on the panel now. think CJ may also put himself forward once his college commitments are complete.

will Lamhs be playing in the Junior hurling Championship this year?

milltown row

Antrim off to a competitive win today against Laois. 1-13 to 0-13

who do they meet in the next round?

Dublin were hammered 6-12 to 0-12 and Galway beat Offaly

Kilkenny no problems from their team holiday

milltown row

I'm good reports about Ciaran McGourty. corner back and holding his own against antrim regulars.

doesn't surprise me, Ciaran's a quality player. good to see Brendan herron playing again.

NAG

Is that a temporary captain for the early part of the league/ Walsh Cup?

Glensman

Sounds like its an appointment for the year?!

Good to start with a win!

maxpower

Does sound like an appointment for the season but i thought Cushendall would have had the captain

Good result, anyone got a report
What happens next????

NAG

I think I can smell a night out for the Kilkenny lads, team bonding.

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG on January 19, 2009, 12:11:05 PM
I think I can smell a night out for the Kilkenny lads, team bonding.

Get all those young fillies down from the glens and the wild west to get some Noreside genes into them, Welly boot probably the most likely destination unless they decide to stay in the Carrickdale like a lot of southern teams

Glensman

Your county needs you. This is how I feel a few of your Saturdays should go next weekend. Hope that's ok.

Harstation
Hardstation seen in Bot pulling a rag out of his pocket and pouring something onto it.
Hardstation recognises him straight away: "So Richie (Hogan) do you think this smells of Chloroform?"
Thud, Richie on floor, emergency doors open in the front bar of the Bot, Richie bundled into the boot of the car to be returned to Casement at 3.45pm Sunday (just to be safe).

Milltown Row
Seen upstairs in Bot ("I'm just going for a walk love"), arm in arm with Aidso (Fogarty).
"I insissssssst Aidso, itsssssss my round again". Aidso collapses into a seat at the side of the dancefloor and MR is last seen pouring a shot of Absythne (his 7th) down Aidso's gub. Aidso wakes up on MR's sofa at noon with a start. MR drops him off at Casement and speeds away.Casement looks strangely like Hannahstown.

Minder
Out in the Welly Park "grab a granny" Saturday night disco with the missis. JJ Delaney staggers in, clearly having taken a wrong turn from the cash machine outside the Bot. JJ siddles up to Minder's missis. Starts to give her the chat, pulls out the All Ireland medal, the All Star tattoo he has across his chest for each year gets shown off. Minder's missis is up for the challenge though, informing him of the struggle in the Glens, the potential move to Intermediate and launches into a blow by blow account of the issues she has with a certain Doctor from the Glens. JJ has enough of this and reaches for her behind. BANG - he's out like a light with a swift blow to the side of the head from Minder. JJ wakes up in hospital at 2pm Sunday (the Ulster hospital as Minder got in the ambulance with him to make sure, not the Royal as its nearer Casement).

Skull
Out for a big night in the city with a few hallions. Ends up in The Eg (few fellas couldn't bite their finger when they tried to walk into the Bot). Tommy Walsh, Tennyson and Tyrell all across there. Team bonding..."pah forget that. We need to continue on the quest to the 15 in a row all irelands" is the general consensus among these three dedicated men. All are sat in a line at the bar with sparkling waters in front of them, Walsh with a dash of lime (picked this one up in San Fransisco, don't you know).
Skull spies them and with one fell swoop smothers them all (with a little room to spare) with his cloak of anonymity.
Next thing the trio wake up in The Bridge Bar Dunloy, blindfolded, naked and being made to listen to Country Roads on repeat. They are let go at 10am Sunday morning. The priest in Dunloy, as part of his homily Sunday morning, gave strict instructions to all god-fearing parishioners that should they per chance come across 3 naked men in such a state to drive on and not offer lifts to Belfast. And if they want to expedite their entry into heaven parishioners could even try and clip them with a wing mirror on the way by "Blessed are those that take out Kilkenny hurlers, theirs is..."

Its the least you boys could do given your gossip mongering.

Forward 9 months
Interview with Neil McGarry 10pm first Sunday of September 2009, Citywest
Marty: "So Neil, did you ever in your wildest dreams think you'd have lifted the Liam McCarthy this year"
Neil: "Its always been our goal Marty. Its been a long road. In my mind the turning point was when we beat a strong Kilkenny team in the Walsh Cup semi in January. It gave us that self belief and from there we went on a 20 match unbeaten run to this day".

Its said time and time again. All Irelands aren't won in September. They are won on long dark nights in January.

Two Hands FFS

Glensman...that ridiculous...sure everyone knows the banquet will be in the Burlington.

Two Hands FFS

After yesterdays victory in our defence of the Walsh Cup over Laois and Glensmans vision of Antrim winning Liam in 2009...it got me thinking if Antrim Hurlers should move to Munster as our domination of Lenister is unhealthy. Lets look at(some) of the facts from our recent matches against the Leinster teams

Carlow
Christy Ring Cup Final   August 6 Croke Park, Dublin
Antrim   5-13   Carlow 1-7

Dublin
NHL Div 1B  28 March 2007   Casement Park
Antrim 1-13 v 0-12 Dublin

Kildare
Christy Ring Cup Semi-Final   July 23
Cusack Park   Kildare   0-6   Antrim   2-21

Kilkenny
Walsh Cup Quarter Final January 20 Freshford
Kilkenny 1-17 Antrim  2-15

Laois
Walsh Cup 18.01.09.  
Antrim 1-13 Laois 0-14
All Ireland Senior Hulring Championship 2008 Navan
Antrim 2-18 Laois 0-16

Meath    
Christy Ring Group 24.06.06.
Antrim   3-12   Meath   0-13

Offaly
Walsh Cup Final   03/02/08    Casement Park
Antrim 3-12   Offaly 2-7
All Ireland Semi Final 1989     Croke Park
Antrim  4-15      Offaly 1-15

Wexford
NHL Dunloy 17/02/2008
Antrim    3-11   1-10   Wexford    

Even if you want you can include UCD & Galway you play in Leinster competitions

UCD
Walsh Cup Semi Final   27.01.08.Belfield   
Antrim 3-14  UCD  1-16

Galway
NHL  2006      Casement Park
Antrim 1-14 Galway 0-16

Pretty Clear if you ask me. Couldnt get results from Westmeath, Wicklow, Louth & Longford

slow corner back

Quote from: the colonel on January 19, 2009, 10:40:34 AM
hoganstand website said cushendall gave up the opportunity to have the captaincy this year and it seems mcgarry is in for the year

This would imply also that McGarry has nailed down the full back position for the year. I am not saying that is a bad thing but last year he was in and out of the team.

Glensman

McGarry was in and out due to injury. Would appear that he is the first choice fr S&W.