Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Quote from: Minder on January 15, 2009, 01:25:38 PM
If i agree with a suggestion i will say so but i wont just because it is seen as "visionary".

It's because I thought of it first (allegedly) isn't it?  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Minder

Quote from: theskull1 on January 15, 2009, 02:31:39 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 15, 2009, 01:25:38 PM
If i agree with a suggestion i will say so but i wont just because it is seen as "visionary".

It's because I thought of it first (allegedly) isn't it?  :)

It is a big problem for me, yes. You are happier hiding behind "a cloak of anonymity", they really should copyright some of those terms as i saw it again today on the Official Website. It could be an excellent fundraiser along with the Saffron Sweep. Anytime someone says "internet gossip shop" the Antrim Board should get 25p
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

youbetterbelieveit

Lads, I have experience in the divisional hurling team experiment. In the Limerick Senior Hurling Championship they allow one divisional team compete in the actual championship. And how this is decided is by way of a divisional competition usually played around nov/dec or early january in this years case due to the big winter freeze.

Therefore the 4 divisions play each other in a round robin comp, City, West, South and East.
The main benefits are:
1. With only one division competing in the senior championship it doesnt have a big bearing on the intermediate/junior clubs
2. the divisional comps can be used as a trial for coutny managers, and some extra hurling for potential county hurlers.

This keeps the pain off the intermediate/junior clubs as much as possible, but also allows players the chance to qualify and play senior hurling which is a big thing for alot of players. The chance to be noticed by the county managers is alot greater if you are playing senior hurling championship.

Glensman

Minder, not quibbling with you whether you agree with it or not...that's your call, just highlighting the basis behind your decision not to agree with it.
Teams (a) might not send players and (b) players might bad mouth each other...but the idea behind it - giving players a higher standard of hurling and therefore bettering them as players can't and shouldn't be dismissed.
If it doesn't work it doesn't work but is it not worth a go.

That is an excellent way they implement it in Limerick. Truly visionary.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Glensman on January 15, 2009, 05:16:26 PM
Minder, not quibbling with you whether you agree with it or not...that's your call, just highlighting the basis behind your decision not to agree with it.
Teams (a) might not send players and (b) players might bad mouth each other...but the idea behind it - giving players a higher standard of hurling and therefore bettering them as players can't and shouldn't be dismissed.
If it doesn't work it doesn't work but is it not worth a go.

That is an excellent way they implement it in Limerick. Truly visionary.
Part of the problem with these suggestions are there is no longevity. The attitude of sure we'll give it a lash this year means boys will have wasted a year out from their club on a fools errand when they potentially could have had a championship winning year at home.

As for the Carey, Armoy, Cushendun, Glenariffe etc suggestion - how many teams do you need to make up a decent 15-20 players?! Glenariffe and Cushendun have had several crossovers in the past 30 odd years and they nearly always end in acrimony.

imtommygunn

Sometimes the attitude from some people on this thread is damned if you do and damned if you don't. If it works for other counties why can it not work for us?

Our senior championships in football and hurling are becoming very mundane. Three teams - and given the last five performances in finals maybe only two - can win the hurling. Two can win the football. Life badly needs injected into them. Maybe this could inject some life and add some good experience for lesser players.

It is also about time teams were forced into the senior championship in hurling and football. In football all of division 1 plus intermediate winners should be forced into the senior. In hurling all of division 1 plus as many division 2 sides as there are down sides in division 1 should be in the senior. No choices. If intermediate champions are outside these teams them too.

milltown row

look tony we only have to look at Kerry (football) and Cork (hurling) who use this system, albeit in Cork its not divisional but junior club players can play for senior teams in championship and their own championship.

why not get behind it? as long as it does not impede on my clubs championship then I'd be happy for players from my team playing against regional teams.

imtommygunn, your right that both championships are predictable but whose fault is that? i believe teams also have a duty to raise their own standards otherwise Cargin Naomh Gall Cushendall and Dunloy (sorry Loughgiel, win one and i'll put you in) will continue to get stronger

imtommygunn

I would agree Milltown on that. I don't particularly like the way division 1 sides can opt for intermediate championships though - it shouldn't be allowed. There can be competitive games in a championship which will bring teams on without them having to win the thing.

Anyway, the divisional thing looks good. I'm not sure if I'm not picking something up YBBI - when are your intermediate and junior championships played off? Presumably before the seniors and then all the players on the relevant divisional team have no conflict of interests or is this not an issue?

theskull1

Would be the only way it would work

Glensman

Yes Colonel, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the divisional boards choose a manager at a meeting.
Obviously a willing manager who has some feel for the players in the area.
Any positive suggestions there?

CHAMPIONSHIPS
I could not agree more re the championships.
All Division 1 teams should be in the Senior Championship and the Intermediate winners.
If, as has been suggested, the Gorts stay in Intermediate in the football that is a disrgace. They have won the thing twice in the last two years (I think) and they should step up. They may not instantly have an impact at senior level (though should do all in their power to try to) but should work to get in there.
The quest for getting another medal for the collection should not stop teams moving up.

The same with the junior championship...if teams like Cushendun and Armoy drop down this year in my opinion that is not fair on those teams in the Junior Championship. They are recent winners of the intermediate and junior championship respectively. If they haven't taken the step up to intermediate/senior then it is the fault of the players/management/committee that they didn't take the next step. Teams have a duty as MR says to raise their standards/

The championship 'below' the one they should be in is not there for them to massage their egos, regroup, win a title and then move up. They have to do it themselves.

The damned if you do, damned if you don't doesn't just sum up some people in this board it sums up this county at the minute.

NAG

The divisional boards if they plan to go ahead with this should be looking for good people to manage these outfits. It should be someone from outside the region but who knows what is going on. Someone who would command respect from the clubs and the players involved. I think this could be made a runner with some clever thinking and flexibility on behalf of the CB and Fixtures committee so that there is no conflict with the clubs own schedule.

theskull1

Somebody like Geoffry is a very good suggestion for NA. Hurling flows through the mans blood, honest as the day is long and has Antrim hurlings best interests at heart

NAG

Surely the best idea would be afigure head such as the names mentioned and then one person nominated by each club to form a selection committee under said figure?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: NAG on January 16, 2009, 10:44:29 AM
The divisional boards if they plan to go ahead with this should be looking for good people to manage these outfits. It should be someone from outside the region but who knows what is going on. Someone who would command respect from the clubs and the players involved. I think this could be made a runner with some clever thinking and flexibility on behalf of the CB and Fixtures committee so that there is no conflict with the clubs own schedule.
::) No further comment required!

JamesH

The NA Coaching and Development Co discussed the divisional teams last night  and i don't think there was much support for it. Ahoghill and the SW clubs feel they already have enough on their plate with being dual clubs. They feel the players will already be over committed, i can see their point.