Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG

Joey never really made any impact in the Senior county because of that fact he hadnt cut his teeth in the senior club game, I would be fearful the same would happen to young mckinley I believe he is good enough but what would be wrong giving him a full season of senior hurling behind him before lashing him into the big time. I dont see any benefit from throwing these young guys to the lions, has it worked for any of them in recent years?

imtommygunn

From the outside looking in it does look like it's done Darren Quinn harm. He only seems to be developing now.

Joey Scullion doesn't seem to be anywhere near the player it was hoped he'd become either. Whether that's because he went to the county too early I don't know.

johnneycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 12, 2009, 03:16:33 PM
From the outside looking in it does look like it's done Darren Quinn harm. He only seems to be developing now.

Joey Scullion doesn't seem to be anywhere near the player it was hoped he'd become either. Whether that's because he went to the county too early I don't know.

There is definately something to be said for letting young players develop at their own rate rather than throw them in too early but as its only the Walsh cup I'd wouldn't be too bothered as I'm sure there wasn't a whole pile of pressure put on the team. It's the NHL and so on where the crowd may get on the back of players when things aren't going right that you'd be worried about affecting young players adversely.

It's only later on in years you grow a thicker skin and find out that those bemoaners couldn't hurl snow off a rope in their day that you ignore them.

theskull1

If it's about young lads with good potential (which they have) who are bursting to hurl and train at this time of year with no big pressures then that is all good as long as they are released back to nail their place in their club team before they would ever be considered as part of the County Squad preparing for the summer, because there's nothing worse than someone heading off to county training when the season starts when everyone still knows that they're still not a certain starter with their clubs. Too much pressure. One step at a time eh?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

totally agree skull. players need to be regular first "teamers" and this is not happening at the minute.

if a club manager feels a certain player has lost his form for the club and is a sub, if the player thinks he's good enough for the county, then it says a lot about the player. 

if i was that young player and couldn't get my club senior team. I'd drop from the county and concentrate playing for my club, end of

antrimexile

Quote from: NAG on January 09, 2009, 01:51:19 PM
Yeah I would be happy enough for them to get game time with cushendall, playing in these games with the poly and the county only can teach them bad habits. They will need to be in the mindset of playng faster and harder than they ever have before not playing these tippy tappy games at this time of the year which all these friendlies turn into.

However rest assured if one of those players gets injured not playing for cushendall and has to miss the semi final there will be hell to pay in cushendall and questions would be asked of the manager as to why his prized assest were pissing around in friendlies at this time of the year.

Its just fact lads

FROM WHAT I HEAR A NUMBER OF THE CUSHENDALL TEAM ARE ALREADY INJURED, AND KEVIN ELLIOTT MAY NOT PLAY AGAIN.
THE CUSHENDALL FORWARDS APART FROM SHANE MC NAUGHTON ARE NOT A SCORING TREAT. 
THE FORWARDS ARE PRACTICALLY THE SAME THAT FAILED V LOUGHREA 2 YRS AGO.

milltown row

Cushendall will have all their players available, bar injury from now. a lot of the lads have played for the Polly and will be playing for Antrim in the Walsh cup I'd say

better than training. hopefully the Dall will be better prepared than last time. Think mcCambridge came back to early. but hopefully they will put that loss to good use. win ugly get to the final and take it from there.

we all know the other draw is were the MEN are at but the Dall need to experience walking out at Croke Park

theskull1

Whats the story with Kevin Elliott. Sounds bad although we heard the same about Neill McManus during the summer so ???
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

clootfromthe21

Anybody see this article in the Sindo last Sunday on my namesake and some other fella?!??!?!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/monarchs-of-the-glen-1598311.html

Not keen on that particular newspaper generally, but this article is pretty interesting.

NAG

Thats posts from two different people shrek?

NAG

When are we going to learn from other sports that Top Down management doesnt work.

Players at the top level i.e. Inter County are the players that cant improved the least by coaching.

However players stepping on to the first rung of the ladder are the players that most improvement can be made in and what do we do, we top load our coaching structure and forget about the rest pretty much ignoring it.

Last Man

I sense mood is not good about the county board at the minute, is the abrasiveness of the exec scaring posible candidates off.
A lot of fellas will be getting their heads down at work in case the axe falls so freeing up the time could be difficult for a lot of people as well. What about Mr Daly getting 100k a year allegedly and its not that he has broken much delf on the management front.

Minder

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on January 14, 2009, 08:02:49 AM
Anybody see this article in the Sindo last Sunday on my namesake and some other fella?!??!?!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/monarchs-of-the-glen-1598311.html

Not keen on that particular newspaper generally, but this article is pretty interesting.

It was interesting, if only for the fact that Cloot and Niall Patterson have absolutely no interest in the game nowadays.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

maxpower

Quote from: Last Man on January 14, 2009, 10:36:43 AM
I sense mood is not good about the county board at the minute, is the abrasiveness of the exec scaring posible candidates off.
A lot of fellas will be getting their heads down at work in case the axe falls so freeing up the time could be difficult for a lot of people as well. What about Mr Daly getting 100k a year allegedly and its not that he has broken much delf on the management front.

That is an absolutely obscene amount of money for an inter county manager.

Agreed 100% that many potential coaches, administrators etc will reassess whether they have the time to develop to GAA related jobs, particularly those in Self Employment, think clubs could be particularly affected
What happens next????

Two Hands FFS

Senior Hurling Championship
14 January 2009
An invitation has been forwarded to North Antrim, South West Antrim and South Antrim Divisional Boards asking each division to enter a team into the Antrim senior hurling championship in 2009 which will probably begin in August 2009.The players will be drawn from Intermediate and Junior clubs within each division. They will still be eligible to represent their own club in their respective championship.

If players feel they would be interested in playing in a divisional hurling team, please contact Kieran Megraw 07766 073282 antrimgaahdm@btconnect.com or your club chairman/secretary for them to contact Kieran Megraw.

Who would manage these teams??