Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

QuoteMichael Hasson St Mary's

Who are St Mary's?

imtommygunn

NAG

Quote from: the colonel on December 08, 2008, 11:11:39 PM
will any of those players actually bring anything to the squad?

Colonel - Simple answer NO!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: theskull1 on December 09, 2008, 10:30:55 AM
Fair play to youse minder ....shows a bit a of dedication. If you keep yourself right instead of pinting your way towards mediocrity over the winter then it can only be a good thing for anybody that wants to improve. Think every player should be told/convinced to have his own training program over the off season, whilst not living a monastic existence at the same time.
Reassess the situation after the Xmas holidays!

theskull1

If any of those lads have got physical presence and the right attitude to training and are prepared to work on their skills then I say they are worth a go. Hurlers can be a snobby bunch  where someone with a bad first touch can be ridiculed very quickly. But theres been many's a "spoiler" that has made space/time for good hurlers to thrive. You never know til ye give it a go
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

14 of us brave the Sunday morning at Milltown at Noon. top pitch frozen bottom pitch grand, bit of a warm up and we went into a sevens game. brought the small nets down (no jokes minder ;)) and played between the 21's. good craic and we'll continue right through. personal training plans being drawn up and wed nights at local school to be arranged for gym work or 5 a sides. a bit of craic to stop the boredom.

so Glenariff and the rest we are getting ready also. oh but we need a manager, any takers out there? plenty of potential if the right management come in

milltown row

Hurling your having a laugh, irish news complains about coverage the BBC ITV give to gaelic games and they are guilty of doing the same thing to hurling, i've sent many a post but falls on deaf ears or smart alec remarks. they claim they have hurling reporters and your man from Cushendun is but they still fail to have equality

Minder

That fella O'Hara knows as much about hurling as my arse does about shooting snipes. They have never had anything other than a token interest in hurling.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

slow corner back

Quote from: NAG on December 09, 2008, 11:49:44 AM
Quote from: the colonel on December 08, 2008, 11:11:39 PM
will any of those players actually bring anything to the squad?

Colonel - Simple answer NO!

Tell me NAG how many of these players do you know anything about? How many of them have you seen hurling up close and personal over the last two years? I have seen plenty of players from senior clubs over the years who look good against poor/unfit opposition and then fold when the going gets tough. If even one of these guys makes his way onto the senior panel then it has been a worthwhile excercise and if none of them make it at least it gives a glimer of hope to younger under age players that the "county" do not ignore you just because you come from a junior/ intermediate club.

milltown row

Cushendall play on the 22nd of Feb in Parnell park. should bring a good crowd. hopefully the posters here could make it down. arrange a bus maybe??

NAG

SCB

Fintan Gamble St Pauls
John Dillon Armoy
Liam Cassley All Saints
Liam Kearns St Brigids
Jim Mc Kernan Sarsfields
Martin Ward Desy Mc Lean, Sean Hall Gort na Mona
Christy Tumelty Lamh Dhearg
Michael Hasson St Mary's

I have watched all of these players at different stages of their development as players. I am not knocking the fact that these players may well be good hurlers. But the point is that if you are playing Div 1 hurling and Championship you are still slower to react slower to think slower to act so take that down a grade and slow the hurling down another notch. Barring a miracle or something quite exceptional which is not listed above then the chances of a hurler coming from Antrim's Div 2 to make any impact on the Senior Inter County Scene is less than minimal.

My point is that instead of throwing out this PR exercises S&W should be looking at the players that they are going to use next year and how they can improve them as players and correct the weakness that they have spotted as coaches over the past two years,

The 3rd year into their term they should not be looking at players they should have a settled side bar one of two changes and they should be putting all their drive and energy into making that side better players.

Can someone please name me one player from the squad that is a better player now than he was 2-3 years ago, has any player improved in that time?

(Have said it before I am no Dinny fan but you could see the improvement that he made in individual players games, he had a simple game plan which he stuck too and the players hurled to the game plan which made them a better side. Now we have no game plan and players that arent improving)

Somebody tell me Im wrong?

theskull1

Personally think that the message should be going out continually to Div 2 hurling that if "individually" you're good enough then you will be considered. Over time you'll get two or three good men that have worked hard BECAUSE the opertunity to represent their county was always there. Close the door to their aspirations and you'll never know what talent you've lost.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG

Skull

Im not on for closing the door despite how my post came across of course you have to make the most of the talent available to you no matter where that is from. My point is that 3 years into a managerial stint you should have a clear understand of what talent is out there without this.

Also my point about not improving one player still stands!

Old Bill

When is the trial match takin place? who would most likely to make it?

milltown row

Quote from: NAG on December 10, 2008, 10:17:27 AM
SCB

Fintan Gamble St Pauls
John Dillon Armoy
Liam Cassley All Saints
Liam Kearns St Brigids
Jim Mc Kernan Sarsfields
Martin Ward Desy Mc Lean, Sean Hall Gort na Mona
Christy Tumelty Lamh Dhearg
Michael Hasson St Mary's

I have watched all of these players at different stages of their development as players. I am not knocking the fact that these players may well be good hurlers. But the point is that if you are playing Div 1 hurling and Championship you are still slower to react slower to think slower to act so take that down a grade and slow the hurling down another notch. Barring a miracle or something quite exceptional which is not listed above then the chances of a hurler coming from Antrim's Div 2 to make any impact on the Senior Inter County Scene is less than minimal.

My point is that instead of throwing out this PR exercises S&W should be looking at the players that they are going to use next year and how they can improve them as players and correct the weakness that they have spotted as coaches over the past two years,

The 3rd year into their term they should not be looking at players they should have a settled side bar one of two changes and they should be putting all their drive and energy into making that side better players.

Can someone please name me one player from the squad that is a better player now than he was 2-3 years ago, has any player improved in that time?

(Have said it before I am no Dinny fan but you could see the improvement that he made in individual players games, he had a simple game plan which he stuck too and the players hurled to the game plan which made them a better side. Now we have no game plan and players that arent improving)

Somebody tell me Im wrong?

whats this lad like? does he play football also