Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clootfromthe21

Quote from: milltown row on November 17, 2008, 05:53:58 PM
it surprises me how many Antrim teams fail at this competition, we were beat by Dungiven in the final a few years ago after a replay and extra time. madness!! (was very drunk that day, bad idea opening the bar during the game)

makes you wonder at the talent available to derry and down teams and armagh teams at minor level, only to get lost to FOOTBALL >:( >:(

Has an Antrim team ever won this competition?!?!?

Two Hands FFS

St Johns won it 4 or 5 years ago, the only Antrim team to do so. It's always played about 2 months after the minor championships are finsihed on mucky pitch which to be truthful doesnt suit the Antrim champions

theskull1

Quote from: Glensman on November 17, 2008, 12:42:40 PM
Shamrock?

Shamrock hasn't been back since before you know when.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on November 17, 2008, 06:31:54 PM
St Johns won it 4 or 5 years ago, the only Antrim team to do so. It's always played about 2 months after the minor championships are finsihed on mucky pitch which to be truthful doesnt suit the Antrim champions

thats balls both teams have to play on the pitch. the standard at that level is outstanding. the other counties at club minor level is better than ours, this is shown by the amount of times we have won it.  ONCE

youngfella

IMHO, ITs to do with the sytle of antrim hurling. Which can be easily undone by the more physical and fitter teams in ulster. The mangers should seek more games outside antrim. Two hans mentions, its normally a few months between minor championship and the ulster's, so a few challange games should be arranged to get the players and managers suited to the tactics they will need to use.
Pull hard and early

milltown row

Quote from: youngfella on November 17, 2008, 08:14:31 PM
IMHO, ITs to do with the sytle of antrim hurling. Which can be easily undone by the more physical and fitter teams in ulster. The mangers should seek more games outside antrim. Two hans mentions, its normally a few months between minor championship and the ulster's, so a few challange games should be arranged to get the players and managers suited to the tactics they will need to use.

the same for the other county champions. when we played Dungiven we were beaten by a really good team. i thought our team would have tanked them. drew the first game and were under no illusions about the second game, and still came up short after extra time

our style of antrim hurling has made the Ulster championship as on-sided as Kilkennys wining Leinster

Minder

From Official Antrim Website

Name : The 'Real Assessor'17 November 2008

Hi Admin

That notorious ???? is again providing a forum for those who wish to take cheap pot shots at our county. ???

That's all it's for. Ignoring them seems to be the only solution.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

MrT

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 17, 2008, 12:00:11 PM
Quotebilly the kid

Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #15477 on: Today at 11:34:19 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was at the Minor Hurling game and I have to say it def wasn't a dirty game but the Antrim lads lost the plot in the injury time when they knew they were beat. they had 3 lads sent of and were starting fights all over the pitch near the end, (which their supporters were encouraging by cheering them and telling lads to "get f**king in there and sort them c***ts out". A screen lad also got the line and deserved it for striking but in his defence it was for hitting back at 2 of the antrim lads who both attacked him at once during a scuffle but striking is striking so no complaints.

A couple of Screen lads did get badly split and there was alot of off the ball pulling in the final moments including our Full back getting pulled across the chest on our 14 when we were actually attacking their goal with the ball about their 45. While our full back was down injured the Full forward started on 1 of the corner backs who was about half his size and when play stopped at the other end the Antrim players and subs all sprinted the length of the field to try and get involved in what had basically been Handbags.  The louhguile supporters were not helpful as everytime one of their players pulled a late stroke or pulled on a man of the ball he was widely cheered and encouraged to do so again. Every time there was a scuffle they were up of their seats and a small number of yo-cals kept approaching the pitch fence only having to be told to return to their seats about 3/4 times in last 10 minutes of additional time. 

There was a bit of a scuffle after the game started by the Louhguile No. 20 doing a flying kung-f* type kick into the Screen corner backs chest when the screen man actually approached him with his hand out to shake hands as he was leaving the pitch. He then proceeded to stamp on him on the ground this brought a very sickening large cheer from their supporters and like a nice brave boy he then ran off and proceeded to Kung-f* kick the Screen manager in the middle of the back when he was shaking hands with their manager, and knocked the Screen manager to the ground. Again this brought a very large cheer from their supporters. Both these incidents happened right in front of me, and I mean I wasn't even 10 yards away.

At this point the Louhguile supporters all started to try and enter the field to fight with the Screen players and management, but thankfully the stewarts managed to get all the Screen players off the pitch and down the tunnel thus protecting them, from grown men, and strangely women also, who were trying to attack them.

No screen players were involved in the after match scuffle and the management were only involved in trying to restore order as stewarts quickly surrounded them as some supporters scaled the fence.

With the Screen players now of the field the Supporters that had made it on to the field and the louhguile players were trying to attack the Screen management and anyone else they could get their hands on but thankfully their were plenty of stewarts and a few calm heads on the louhguile side also, which diffused the situation quickly before it could escalate.

I have to say I have never seen supporters so wound up and so filled with hatred. Some of the stuff they were shouting at the ref at the screen lads was some of the most abusive I have ever heard and the instructions being shouted at their own players like "do that wee f**ker" "take him out" and "take his F**king hand off were a total disgrace.  I know Louhguile have a reputation for this type of thing but I honestly couldnt believe how vile and hate filled their supporters were it was the type of reaction youd get breaking into 'the fields of Athenry' in at Ibrox as Barry Ferguson was about to hit a penalty.

The game was a good game and def wasnt dirty, it was a tough Ulster SF between 2 pretty even teams going flat out to reach the Final. The Louhguile players had played well but couldnt score from play and found themselves  3 points down with normal time up and thats when they began to show a very ugly side to their game. 

Was up at minor match and yes while it was loughgiel not being able to take their beating, things certainly didn't go as your Derry man has quoted.  Number 20 did "Kung-f* Kick" him but not as screen boy tried to shake his hand, he was up cheering in his face.  As for th manager, he had reportedly grabbed and twisted number 20's stones.  He then came into 20s face and I'm not sure who hit who first.  This then just turned into a brawl, with around 200 people on the pitch, from both sides.  The stewards then ushered the screen boys into changing room but the same manager then started cheering with his stick in the air to the loughgiel players.  This started a reaction from a certain somebody who hit him.  the screen players came out of the changing rooms and everybody started brawiling again, Both sets of teams and fans.
And as for supporters shouting at the screen players, naw.  their were a few scream from eejits yes, but their mentor, who was put outside the wire was shouting "take the hands off the c**nts".  the brawl during the match was started by the screen player who head butted the l'giel full back, they then went at it and everybody joined in.  How he could send off anybody else apart from those 2 during that was ridiculous.  Playing 16 mins of extra time didn't help the heated situation either.  both fans were involved.
in saying that the loughgiel captain did enter the screen changing room afterwards, as did the manager of screen enter the loughgiel changing room.
Screen deserved the win but theres two sides to every story ;)

Two Hands FFS

Milltown Row, what I was trying to say that as its normally played in November/ December & it's always very physical & thats where the Antrim clubs have always suffered & especially county teams as we cant deal with the physical aspect. When is the Ulster Championship played...during the summer.

billy the kid

Quote from: MrT on November 17, 2008, 10:17:34 PM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 17, 2008, 12:00:11 PM
Quotebilly the kid

Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #15477 on: Today at 11:34:19 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was at the Minor Hurling game and I have to say it def wasn't a dirty game but the Antrim lads lost the plot in the injury time when they knew they were beat. they had 3 lads sent of and were starting fights all over the pitch near the end, (which their supporters were encouraging by cheering them and telling lads to "get f**king in there and sort them c***ts out". A screen lad also got the line and deserved it for striking but in his defence it was for hitting back at 2 of the antrim lads who both attacked him at once during a scuffle but striking is striking so no complaints.

A couple of Screen lads did get badly split and there was alot of off the ball pulling in the final moments including our Full back getting pulled across the chest on our 14 when we were actually attacking their goal with the ball about their 45. While our full back was down injured the Full forward started on 1 of the corner backs who was about half his size and when play stopped at the other end the Antrim players and subs all sprinted the length of the field to try and get involved in what had basically been Handbags.  The louhguile supporters were not helpful as everytime one of their players pulled a late stroke or pulled on a man of the ball he was widely cheered and encouraged to do so again. Every time there was a scuffle they were up of their seats and a small number of yo-cals kept approaching the pitch fence only having to be told to return to their seats about 3/4 times in last 10 minutes of additional time. 

There was a bit of a scuffle after the game started by the Louhguile No. 20 doing a flying kung-f* type kick into the Screen corner backs chest when the screen man actually approached him with his hand out to shake hands as he was leaving the pitch. He then proceeded to stamp on him on the ground this brought a very sickening large cheer from their supporters and like a nice brave boy he then ran off and proceeded to Kung-f* kick the Screen manager in the middle of the back when he was shaking hands with their manager, and knocked the Screen manager to the ground. Again this brought a very large cheer from their supporters. Both these incidents happened right in front of me, and I mean I wasn't even 10 yards away.

At this point the Louhguile supporters all started to try and enter the field to fight with the Screen players and management, but thankfully the stewarts managed to get all the Screen players off the pitch and down the tunnel thus protecting them, from grown men, and strangely women also, who were trying to attack them.

No screen players were involved in the after match scuffle and the management were only involved in trying to restore order as stewarts quickly surrounded them as some supporters scaled the fence.

With the Screen players now of the field the Supporters that had made it on to the field and the louhguile players were trying to attack the Screen management and anyone else they could get their hands on but thankfully their were plenty of stewarts and a few calm heads on the louhguile side also, which diffused the situation quickly before it could escalate.

I have to say I have never seen supporters so wound up and so filled with hatred. Some of the stuff they were shouting at the ref at the screen lads was some of the most abusive I have ever heard and the instructions being shouted at their own players like "do that wee f**ker" "take him out" and "take his F**king hand off were a total disgrace.  I know Louhguile have a reputation for this type of thing but I honestly couldnt believe how vile and hate filled their supporters were it was the type of reaction youd get breaking into 'the fields of Athenry' in at Ibrox as Barry Ferguson was about to hit a penalty.

The game was a good game and def wasnt dirty, it was a tough Ulster SF between 2 pretty even teams going flat out to reach the Final. The Louhguile players had played well but couldnt score from play and found themselves  3 points down with normal time up and thats when they began to show a very ugly side to their game. 

Was up at minor match and yes while it was loughgiel not being able to take their beating, This was the problem both your supporters and players couldnt take youir beating things certainly didn't go as your Derry man has quoted.  Number 20 did "Kung-f* Kick" him but not as screen boy tried to shake his hand, he was up cheering in his face.  This was straight in front of me and your no 20 kicked him as he put his hand out at end of game FACT he also stamped on him on the ground afterwards

As for th manager, he had reportedly grabbed and twisted number 20's stones.  He then came into 20s face and I'm not sure who hit who first. This is just LIES plain and simple, as again this was straight in front of me and no 20 Kung-f* kicked the manager in the middle of the back and ran off into the crowd so the manager wouldnt even have had the chance to grab him by the nutts.

This then just turned into a brawl, with around 200 Including the Stewarts and the loughguile team there wouldnt have been 200 on the pitch

people on the pitch, from both sidesThe stewards then ushered the screen boys into changing room True

but the same manager then started cheering with his stick in the air to the loughgiel players. This is again NOT TRUE as the manager was being attacked and kicked on the ground (after the brave no. 20s attack) by loughguile players and supporters and was then pulled out by stewarts and had to be ushered away as your supporters tryed to get at him all the way.

This started a reaction from a certain somebody who hit him. (read the previous bit) 

the screen players came out of the changing rooms and everybody started brawiling again, This is TOTAL BULLSH*T. I was at the tunnel and  the screen players were taken down the tunnel straight after the match and did not return as stewarts and senior players filled the tunnel to protect them from the supporters who were trying to get down the tunnel to fight.

Both sets of teams and fans. Again this is Lies as it was Loughguile Supporters who invaded the pitch. there were a few slaps thrown on the screen side also but that was because you savages were fighting and hitting anyone yous could get at including Stewarts, mentors and tournament organisers and its hard to sort this out without using force.

And as for supporters shouting at the screen players, naw. This abuse started during second half and continued and got worse right up until the end  their were a few  :Dscream from eejits yes, It was the majority of your supporters who were screaming abuse and your biggest cheer went up when no.20 kicked and then stamped on our corner back and then kicked the manager in the back

but their mentor, who was put outside the wire was shouting "take the hands off the c**nts". Again Lies as the manager, Taz, was in front of me when he was asked to leave and it was for shouting (less than politely) at the ref for not blowing 1 of your teams many blatant pulls of the ball at no time did he encourage any screen players to hit a Loughguile player.  

the brawl during the match was started by the screen player who head butted the l'giel full back, they then went at it and everybody joined in. Which brawl are you talking about? Once your team realised they were beat they were trying to start brawls all over the pitch.  No screen player headbutted at any time so again you are just lying.  But I did see a loughguile player Headbutt then punch and kick a screen player on the ground, I also seen one of your men pull on our full back a couple of times on the ground and he has the marks on his back to prove it.

How he could send off anybody else apart from those 2 during that was ridiculous. I agree, We had 1 man sent of and Yous had 3 men sent of in the game and all were well deserved, however he could easily have sent of 2/3 more of your men for some of the shit they were at like pulling on men of the ball, pulling on men on the ground and your entire sub bench and back line sprinted the length of the pitch to try and start a fight when all the 2 lads were at was a bit of shoving, a complete disgrace.

Playing 16 mins of extra time didn't help the heated situation either. I agree 

both fans were involved. Your fans tried to attack players who by the way all are U18 and plenty are u16, Our Stewarts had to try and protect the players and managers and get you savages of the pitch

in saying that the loughgiel captain did enter the screen changing room afterwards, as did the manager of screen enter the loughgiel changing room. This was a good thing, sorted by the tournament organiser to try and diffuse the situation after the match as the loughguile supporters were all waiting about in the car park after the game (I wonder why) and things were very tense

Screen deserved the win but theres two sides to every story ;) There is no doubt Screen deserved to win as yous never scored from play in the whole game. It was actually a very good and very hard fought game and it wasnt a dirty game, your team just lost the plot and couldnt take their beating near the end

Also I appreciate that there are 2 sides to every story and I can understand you wanting to try and take the heat of your club who have a reputation for this kind of stuff. I can even understand you trying to shift the blame for the disgraceful way your players and supporters behaved on Sunday but some of the stuff you have posted is just lies plain and simple.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

johnneycool

If it moves hit it

Are you from Lougeile Billy?
;D

billy the kid

Quote from: johnneycool on November 18, 2008, 10:07:05 AM
If it moves hit it

Are you from Lougeile Billy?
;D

I dont think so JC but I thought I would take the following very scientific and full proof test just to prove it.

Answer the following Questions

SECTION 1

Can you talk properly?                                                    YES

Can you accept it when your are beat by a better team?    YES

(If you have answered yes to any of the first 2 questions you are not from Loughguile!! If you have Answered No to both you may proceed to the second section of the Test)

SECTION 2

Have you ever tried to jump the wire and hit underage players because they beat your team?  NO

Do you pull on the man more than you pull on the ball during a game?                                   NO

Do You have a twin Cam?                                                                                                 NO

Have you ever asked your cousin to marry you?                                                                     NO

Do you know Kung - FU?                                                                                                     NO

You most answer Yes to at least 4 of the 5 Questions In section 2 to be from Loughguile.

;) :D ;D
If it moves hit it

imtommygunn

Billy that fella mr t is not from Loughgiel, just so you know it's not an "us against them"...

billy the kid

Whereever he is from that post is full of things that are not true and can only be described as lies. I was at the game standing at the fence in front of the tunnel so all this stuff happened yards from me. The account I gave is as accurate as It possibly could be. I accept that there were slaps thrown on both sides to say otherwise would be ridiculous, but what would you expect When their supporters and players are attacking Stewarts, management and trying to get at underage players?

No. 20 should be ashamed of himself as his kicking and stamping is as bad a thing as I have ever seen at any game never mind an underage game and this is what lit sparked their supporters into life.

I had heard bad stories about them before but this was crazy.
If it moves hit it

MrT

billy just to make it clear im not defending no.20.  It was stupid and cowardly.  You were closer to the pitch, maybe you saw things differntly.
Neither am i sayin all fighting was done by screen, that is totally wrong, but there were a certain number of screen supporters and their players were fighting, as were all of loughgiels players and some supporters.  im not trying to defend loughgiel, they were totally in the wrong.  just giving my account as i saw it from the stands