Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesH

Sorry last don't know what happened with the colour

Last man: as far as i am aware the North Antrim board are to carry on with the Munster plan regardless of what the County says, as it is the plan which is tailored to suit their need. Why wouldn't they continue? My sources say it will commence in November

theskull1

Oh yeah almost forgot.....does anyone know what type of discussions were had at that meeting last week up in St Endas?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

bredaghgael86

The only point i would question MR is the one handed picking.  IMO when it comes off it looks good and granted quickens the pace up.  However, when it goes wrong it is horrible and results in a fella poking and proding at the ball looking like a drunk zorro.  Much better to get the kids to get both hands on the stick, get low and run through the ball.
Out of interest, how many referees would each club have on average?

the colonel

heard a rumour than cathal 'doug' mc auley has threw the toys out of the pram at carey and told the players after the last league game he is gonna get a transfer to loughgiel.

anyone else heard this or shamrock what do you think? would he even make their team?
the difference between success and failure is energy

johnneycool

Quote from: bredaghgael86 on October 22, 2008, 11:26:02 AM
The only point i would question MR is the one handed picking.  IMO when it comes off it looks good and granted quickens the pace up.  However, when it goes wrong it is horrible and results in a fella poking and proding at the ball looking like a drunk zorro.  Much better to get the kids to get both hands on the stick, get low and run through the ball.

if you want to play the game at pace then the one handed pick up needs to be practised like every other skill in the game. Also like every other skill the individual needs to know when and where to use it. Just because it may be a bit difficult and high risk doesn't mean it shouldn't be coached, in fact it should be coached more IMO.
That's one thing that bugs me, coaches who churn out the same lines, 'out in front', 'two hands on the hurley' etc, etc without understanding that if you're in cetain situations 'out in front ' or 'two hands on the hurley' aren't necessarily suitable.

Minder

Quote from: the colonel on October 22, 2008, 02:55:14 PM
heard a rumour than cathal 'doug' mc auley has threw the toys out of the pram at carey and told the players after the last league game he is gonna get a transfer to loughgiel.

anyone else heard this or shamrock what do you think? would he even make their team?

I cant see him making the Loughguile team, he is average at best.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

theskull1

Sure alot of people consider the loughgiel team to be made up of alot of average hurlers, so with that in mind he might have a chance  :P

Never seen the boy play, but he should go speak to cloot before making any decisions.

This story might just smoke Shamrocker out . He has been very quiet for the past few weeks :P

playwiththewind1st

According to those in the know, the clubs have plenty, but there are no good 'uns (although MR has a great career in front of him, whistle in 1 hand & Corona in the other!!!).

NAG

Yes he has been quiet this past few weeks!  :o

3 things I would do to change antrim hurling:

Get good coaching ( & referee education) structures in place in each club within the county

Get a working strategy in all the schools in the county

Get some funding specifically for belfast and promote the game properly in the city and breathe life into it.

Skull sure what you talking about cloot has 15 championship medals!

theskull1

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

Don't think cloot was the first to say it, but I'm sure he'd offer it to anyone who asked for advice

billy the kid

F**king class  :D :D :D
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

PlayWithTheWind

just read the Antrim guestbook....

Name : gort man                                                                                                     22 October 2008

Gort Ulster final this Sunday has been Postponed. Carrickmore are taking their Appeal to CHC Dublin

any truth in this?
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

Last Man

Quote from: JamesH on October 22, 2008, 10:51:17 AM
Last man: as far as i am aware the North Antrim board are to carry on with the Munster plan regardless of what the County says, as it is the plan which is tailored to suit their need. Why wouldn't they continue? My sources say it will commence in November.
The county were suppose to fund it but now i suppose money is tight and they apparently cant commit this sort of dough to one divisional board initiative and are now looking at an all county coaching strategy, which on the face of it is fair enough but crucial momentum will be lost in the progress NA are making if they have to wait for everyone else to catch up. You are not talking a couple of grand, so not easy to russle up these days.

JamesH

In think that North Antrim Board have quite a few dollars behind them now as they have about a dozen sponsors , so i think they will go ahead in the Munster project. The thing we must remember is that it is not about excluding any one division it is just somthing the clubs have been working on to improve the club coaching. SA could have started their own initative to help their division, perhaps what NA are planning wouldn't have suited SA.

Last Man

I get what you are saying James but I would say we are talking 20-30k at least to see this through properly and given the way business is at the minute not many firms will be throwing sponsorship money about.