Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

We've all got the super sunday brigade in fairness. How do you you discourage these dingleberry's from getting out for the day to attend big games like this? They really do drag their village/club through the gutter when you have large groups of these boys who look and feel perfectly comfortable acting like a complete tool in full view of the rest of their village. All self respect is gone. Our irish chavs
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Jack_Black

Quote from: johnneycool on October 20, 2008, 11:22:15 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 20, 2008, 11:11:31 AM
While I also didn't see a reason for your goal to be disallowed johnney the ref gave you a few dubious frees to keep you in the game first half and you had a man who should have walked after about ten minutes...

Dubious free's at both ends of the field tommy. Agreed about our corner back though, he would have walked most other days. Maybe he was given the benefit of the fact that the game wasn't long started. It probably did look a lot worse than it actually was but a sending off nonetheless

meant nothing to me who won, although would prefer the Antrim team to win

i think you must be still wearing those green tinted glasses johnny. out of interest what did each team score from play, in the first half galget got at least 4 scores from frees which IMO wrent scores. as for the square ball, it was a square ball no questions asked.

imo the better team won, the ref had a poor day but from where i was looking galget got more decisions than the Dall.

imtommygunn

Yeah, well like I said earlier - the standard of refereeing in that ulster hurling series has been very poor. Over the course of the game yesterday I do think think it, at least, evened itself out but that's probably slightly blinkered antrim goggles...

Could maybe have been more time though - a lot of times cushendall had a free second half the man took a drink of water.

theskull1

Sorry lads....who was the ref yesterday....it wasn't Mr Devlin by any chance?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on October 20, 2008, 11:30:47 AM
Sorry lads....who was the ref yesterday....it wasn't Mr Devlin by any chance?
No he's demoted to the line, it was some lad from Slaughneil, martin something or other.

imtommygunn

johnneycool

Quote from: Jack_Black on October 20, 2008, 11:27:59 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on October 20, 2008, 11:22:15 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 20, 2008, 11:11:31 AM
While I also didn't see a reason for your goal to be disallowed johnney the ref gave you a few dubious frees to keep you in the game first half and you had a man who should have walked after about ten minutes...

Dubious free's at both ends of the field tommy. Agreed about our corner back though, he would have walked most other days. Maybe he was given the benefit of the fact that the game wasn't long started. It probably did look a lot worse than it actually was but a sending off nonetheless

meant nothing to me who won, although would prefer the Antrim team to win

i think you must be still wearing those green tinted glasses johnny. out of interest what did each team score from play, in the first half galget got at least 4 scores from frees which IMO wrent scores. as for the square ball, it was a square ball no questions asked.

imo the better team won, the ref had a poor day but from where i was looking galget got more decisions than the Dall.

The Ref generally had a poor day but when any crunch decisons came when the game was in the pot, he coped out of it. The square ball wasn't actually given by the ref but the umpire, so the report on the Antrim website: 'though it has to be said that referee Martin Mulholland had clearly blown before the ball entered the net.' is utter balls but that's for another day. If he'd thought it was a square ball why did he feel the need to consult with the umpire, no whistle was blown until the ball hit the net. I'll just need to swallow that pill with a nice spoonful of sugar

just because we scored from free's doesn't necessarily mean they weren't free's and I've already stated that two obvious frees were given against Dall defenders one for a handpass and another for over carrying were incorrect but we were on the receiving end of similar decisons which resulted in scores for the Dall.  The Dall missed more frees than us so that'll not show up on your stats. The dall however did muster more from play and that's not in dispute and although I'm dissappointed in the referee I've already stated that the Dall had the better hurlers and that we by poor decison making on the field contributed to our own defeat as much as the referee, its just easier to blame the outsider  ;)

imtommygunn

I actually was pretty sure I heard him blow prior to the goal too...

NAG

An umpire cant actually give a square ball decision while the ball is in open play. He can however be consulted after the ball has gone out of play be it a goal or wide or whatever and then can tell the ref that it was a square ball.

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG on October 20, 2008, 12:12:55 PM
An umpire cant actually give a square ball decision while the ball is in open play. He can however be consulted after the ball has gone out of play be it a goal or wide or whatever and then can tell the ref that it was a square ball.

I know that, he was within his powers to do what he did, I just think he was wrong, but that's my opinion.

NAG

Have to say if Ballygalget were going to win yesterday was as good a chance as any, very low scoring which is going to be cushendalls achilles heel in febuary. If you look at the semi's in recent years they have nearly always been high scoring affairs and that would def not suit cushendall.

milltown row

cushendall game on tg4 now

Minder

Monty took 7 steps with ball in hand before striking for his goal
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

was thinking that minder, also i dont think it was a square ball

Tony Baloney

Quote from: milltown row on October 20, 2008, 08:24:32 PM
was thinking that minder, also i dont think it was a square ball
How many times have you seen a ref blow for over-carrying when a goal is scored! Never is the answer as they are too busy watching to see if the player is gonna score or not. Watched that on tg4 there - hard to make out who got the final touch. Was it the fella doubling on it just inside the small square or the forward in the middle of the square?