Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairhead

Quote from: NAG on October 10, 2008, 09:11:08 AM
does anyone actually think that getting into the leinster championship is going to help the county as a whole?

reasons please

Not until our underage structures are improved to a level where Antrim have their Feile champions regularly competing in Div 1 of the Feile, the county u16s are not getting thrashed in the Nenagh All Ireland u16 tournament and then the county minors are competing and winning games in the Leinster championship will Antrim start to benefit from the Leinster championship. And that isn't going to happen in 3 years.

theskull1

Quote from: Fairhead on October 10, 2008, 01:18:08 PM
Quote from: NAG on October 10, 2008, 09:11:08 AM
does anyone actually think that getting into the leinster championship is going to help the county as a whole?

reasons please

Not until our underage structures are improved to a level where Antrim have their Feile champions regularly competing in Div 1 of the Feile, the county u16s are not getting thrashed in the Nenagh All Ireland u16 tournament and then the county minors are competing and winning games in the Leinster championship will Antrim start to benefit from the Leinster championship. And that isn't going to happen in 3 years.

That is the truth of things Fairhead. I wish more peole would come to this reality because we seem to continually setting unrealistic expectations at senior level and "failing" those expectations miserably every year.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Minder

Agree Skull & Fairhead, it does not matter where we set up camp if we do not improve the quality of player representing Antrim. The only way this will happen is improved, structured coaching from primary school level. We could be in Leinster for the next 20 years and if we continue to send the same product out we will get the same beatings. Galway minors have no competitive matches in Connacht but they obviously have coaches of a high level. As for those that see entering Leinster as some sort of simple fix, Wexford and Offally minors have been poor the last few years (i think), in Munster Waterford and Clare minors have been getting excellent competition in Munster year in year out but they have a poor record.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

what was all the craic with the Loughgiel Ballycastle game at the weekend? heard there was all sorts happening. players sent off and the supporters giving the referee loads of abuse. anyone at the game? Shamrocker can ya give us an account. or maybe the Assessor was at the game Assessing  ;)

Baile an tuaigh

A wee bit of the topic of conversation here, but can anyone tell me where we got the saffron colors come from. Aye know back in the day  the team that won the County, that particular clubs strip was used to represent the County team as was custom back then. However though, where did the club that won get their colors from. The reason I ask is that a group of people from Ireland at one time fought for a Scottish army against England. They were mostly from Moyle and Dalriada area. They wore saffron armbands to distinguish themselves. I was just wondering was their a connection with this and our County colors? I'm probably way off... 

maxpower

on the question of playing in the Leinster HC, I do believe it will improve the standard of 10/12 of our best hurlers, similar to how dinny came in and herron mckeegan kettle all rose a level. The problem with that will be the long term, I think the term putting the roof on before the foundations are in.

The best get better, those coming behind aren't good enough, then collapse with nought but a few moral victories.

What I think needs done

1. Clubs need to get underage coaching as priority, my own club have for years neglected this but now seem to have the best coaches in the club with the youngest children
2. Referees need to allow games to develop intensity, similar to our semi, only when we hurling with that intensity regularly will the quality really improve - and this should be from underage,
3. Hurling must be promoted through the club leagues and championships as a priority over county team at all levels, regular structured games at all levels - the scenario where a minor team played 4 matches should never again happen.
4. Professional coaching promoted through clubs, extension of ulster council courses

So in short, administrator need to ensure proper games, coaches ensure proper coaching, referees proper rule keeping and players a proper attitude from u8 up
What happens next????

Two Hands FFS

Saturday 11th October 2008
Antrim Hurling Div 1- 2008
Team 1   Score   Score   Team 2   Venue   Comment   
Portaferry    2-8   2-8   Dunloy    Portaferry      
Antrim Hurling Div 2-3 - 2008
Team 1   Score   Score   Team 2   Venue   Comment   
Shane O Neills    0-16   0-10   Rasharkin    Shane ONeills      
Cloughmills    3-16   3-16   Ballycran    Cloughmills      
St. Galls    1-7   1-13   St. Pauls    St. Galls

Some result for Cloughmills.fair play to them

milltown row

great result for Cloughmills, so hard for a team to go and win all season. we ballsed up today again, no footballers bothered to play bar Karl Stewart. i stared as usual :P

getting a bit sad that i still have to turn out for the team, but sure good craic

playing Cargin's thirds tomorrow, where would ya get it? hurling on a sat and football on a sunday ???

is this the Docs great plan? i wonder

Minder

Quote from: milltown row on October 12, 2008, 12:43:22 AM
great result fro Cloughmills, so hard for a team to go and win all season. we ballsed up today again, no footballers bothered to play bar Karl Stewart. i stared as usual :P

getting a bit sad that i still have to turn out for the team, but sure good craic

playing Cargin's thrids tomorrow, where would ya get it. hurling on a sat and football on a sunday ???

is this the Docs great plan? i wonder

I feel ill when i hear the doc mentioned

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

Cushendall win handy in the end, Dungiven had them for a bit mid way through second half but failed to capitalise on Cushendall's poor performance. final set for next week, same weekend we are playing in Newry, great timing ??? some counties down south haven't even finished there county finals and the ulster final is to be rushed through.

would liked to have seen it but sure

PlayWithTheWind

McNaughton double sends Ruairi Og into final

Ruairi Og 3-11 Dungiven 2-8

Antrim kingpins qualified for the final of the Ulster Club Hurling Championship when they beat Derry champions Dungiven by 3-11 to 2-8 at Casement Park.
Goals in each half from corner-forward Shane McNaughton and one from midfielder Declan McKillop were the scores which saw the Ruiri Og home.
McNaughton's first goal in first-half injury time, a superbly taken effort following a long ball out of defence by Neil McManus, was vital as it gave the 'Dall' the lead going in at the end of a closely contested thirty minutes which was high in effort, though low in quality.
A goal from a penalty from Antrim county star Ciaran Herron, after substitute Geoffrey McGonigle was adjudged to have been held in the 'square', gave the Derry champions new impetus, but Cushendall hit back almost immediately and Declan McKillop fired in the rebound after Shane McNaughton's original effort had been saved.
McNaughton sent a sideline cut beautifully over the Dungiven crossbar before capping a great individual display with his second goal after cleverly stepping inside his marker.
McNaughton could have completed his hat-trick in injury time when he was sent through one-on-one with the Dungiven goalkeeper, but his shot went inches wide.
However the miss was of no relevance as the Ruairis had already booked a final place against Down champions Ballygalget on Sunday next at the same venue.

from county website
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

theskull1

Just spotted this from another thread. Fcuk me. That is wile. Can someone point out to me the "specific" posts on this board which warrant such an attack on all the members of it. I seriously can't think of anything which should be getting anyone too hot under the collar about.

It appears to me that this man has a personal vandetta against this board for critisims made against him and is taking his vengenence out on everybody as a result. To my mind this board is populated mainly by people who actually give a fcuk and who play a positive role both here and in their clubs in helping the game to prosper. This tar them all with the same brush shite really gets my goat up. He would be far better to concern himself with those who are apathetic to our games and think about how best encourage them to play a part in Antrim GAA rather than have a childish rant and those who are dyed in the wool GAA men.

Very similar approach taken by the latest WUM/agent provocateur  to join the Antrim Hurling thread in recent weeks and now appears to have deleted his account.

Quote from: Minder on October 12, 2008, 09:23:05 PM
Just saw this on official Antrim website guestbook......

Name : Full Of ???         11 October 2008

Just to let Doctor........

Reply :You might well get away with posting this type of crap on another webiste that allows this sort of nonsense, but it wont happen here. This sort of vile and filthy abuse is not tolerated on this site or any other forum that exerts even a modicum of control over what is posted. Contemptible, anonymous lunatics like you are the cause of serious personal abuse and unacceptable pressures on players, coaches and managers. Their family lives have been affected by some of the comments posted on "GAABoard" and the County Chairman called for this website to be shut down in his speech to convention last year. We are certain that if you were prepared to identify yourself, he would gladly let you know exactly the harm that has been done to individuals and families as result of comments posted on this wewbsite. Undoubtedly a coward like you won't do that!

saffron sam2

Quote from: theskull1 on October 13, 2008, 10:15:17 AM
Just spotted this from another thread. Fcuk me. That is wile. Can someone point out to me the "specific" posts on this board which warrant such an attack on all the members of it. I seriously can't think of anything which should be getting anyone too hot under the collar about.

It appears to me that this man has a personal vandetta against this board for critisims made against him and is taking his vengenence out on everybody as a result. To my mind this board is populated mainly by people who actually give a fcuk and who play a positive role both here and in their clubs in helping the game to prosper. This tar them all with the same brush shite really gets my goat up. He would be far better to concern himself with those who are apathetic to our games and think about how best encourage them to play a part in Antrim GAA rather than have a childish rant and those who are dyed in the wool GAA men.

Very similar approach taken by the latest WUM/agent provocateur  to join the Antrim Hurling thread in recent weeks and now appears to have deleted his account.

Quote from: Minder on October 12, 2008, 09:23:05 PM
Just saw this on official Antrim website guestbook......

Name : Full Of ???         11 October 2008

Just to let Doctor........

Reply :You might well get away with posting this type of crap on another webiste that allows this sort of nonsense, but it wont happen here. This sort of vile and filthy abuse is not tolerated on this site or any other forum that exerts even a modicum of control over what is posted. Contemptible, anonymous lunatics like you are the cause of serious personal abuse and unacceptable pressures on players, coaches and managers. Their family lives have been affected by some of the comments posted on "GAABoard" and the County Chairman called for this website to be shut down in his speech to convention last year. We are certain that if you were prepared to identify yourself, he would gladly let you know exactly the harm that has been done to individuals and families as result of comments posted on this wewbsite. Undoubtedly a coward like you won't do that!

AFAIK, there was an article in the Sunday Tribune last year. The article referred to a post on an unnamed message board which made accusations about the alleged bed hopping activities of an inter-county manager. The inference apparently was that it was this board being referred to, although few posters remember the offending post. The manager obviously wasn't named in the article and I still have no idea who the article was about. The article also quoted one Dr John McSparran who felt that the board should be closed down. Why Dr McSparran was picked at random for the Tribune's article about an unnamed manager I just can't figure.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

maxpower

For all Tirbune readers Our Chairmans comments have just narrowed down from a possible 64 intercounty managers to just 3.

What is the big gripe with this site, i'm assuming its this thread that is his big issue and i can't really recall anything that malicious being said on it.  really the only thread i contribute on and i think its mostly informed, well intentioned debate.

Anyhows no ones mentioned the real big news of the weekend, Dunloy Cuchullians confirmed as 2008 Antrim Senior Hurling League Champions, a title wrapped up with a draw away to Portaferry and so Dunloy finsih the Ulster league unbeaten, the Antrim League unbeaten but crucially fail to even make the big day out...

Great result for cloughmills also, spoke to friend who went to see the match and said it was a good game and cloughmills are rightfully delighted to have taken points of what is a division 1 team.  I heard good reports of two of the biddies players, Aaron Smiley and Liam Kearns, by all accounts would cut it with one of the big three, perhaps worth Sambo and Woody having a look.
What happens next????

theskull1

Quote from: maxpower on October 13, 2008, 11:21:42 AM
Anyhows no ones mentioned the real big news of the weekend, Dunloy Cuchullians confirmed as 2008 Antrim Senior Hurling League Champions, a title wrapped up with a draw away to Portaferry and so Dunloy finsih the Ulster league unbeaten, the Antrim League unbeaten but crucially fail to even make the big day out...

You sound like shamrock there max  :)