Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Old Bill on October 02, 2008, 10:26:04 PM
Thanks minder. low scoring, anyone impress in it?

Just saw the result, its windy and would freeze the nuts of you tonight so wouldnt be a great night for hurling.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Old Bill

milltown row

good double for st teresas  coming up

aontroim

just in from Casement - firstly it was freezing alright!  2 very poor games of hurling no doubt the weather was a major contributor to that.

IHC

Gort got 2 early goals that were sloppy enough playing with the wind, then added 6 points - St. Paul's had a penalty saved and that was as close as they came to scoring in the first half.  Was expecting a better show from them in the second half but it never came - 12 points down at half time they started the second half with their corner fwd getting the line for a second yellow (i cant remember him getting his first).  gort na mona always looked like threatening the st. paul's goal against the wind as they were fitter and played with great intensity.  st. pauls will be very disappointed with their performance despite making the scoreboard look a bit more reasonable at the end.  Gort definitely worthy champions.  Nipper (14 but was all over the pitch) and the corner forward were very good for Gort.

JHC

With wind advantage Rasharkin failed to build a big lead in the first half, despite  nullifying St. Teresa's tactic of creating space from their semi-final win - they should be kicking themselves for losing this one as the only reason they lost was their discipline - a problem they have quite often.  St. Teresa's didnt rise to the dirt for the most part and Rasharkin played into their hands allowing Maguire to punish them with frees.  The point that won the game for Teresa's was classy - Maguire cut a ball from a sideline about 30m out on the stand side and in the closing minutes Rasharkin came within a whisker of putting the ball in the net (which would have been an injustice).

Game ended with the St. Teresa's keeper getting a straight red when it looked like he was kicked by a Rasharkin player - he will miss out on the Ulster game on Sunday now most likely.

Hard to tell how much better both games would have been in better conditions - best of luck to both teams in their Ulster campaigns.

sail_in

Nothing much to add to the points made by Aontroim ...

IHC

My prediction yesterday was wrong but St Paul's were very poor.  Didn't score in the first half although it was playing into a gale and they did have a penalty saved - didn't even get a point from it!  The first half also contained the incident where the St Paul's corner forward must have picked up his first yellow card, although, like you, I didn't see it, and neither did any of the fellas I was sitting with.  I can only assume that the referee either did show him a yellow, or intended to, that time over in the far corner where he attempted to double the ball on over his head.  Like you say, it was strange to see him get the line when it happened at the start of the second half.  The 2 goals given away by St Paul's were poor enough too, the first was a high ball in which the corner forward picked up and got inside his man very easily and slotted in past the keeper.  The second was another high ball in over the heads of the defense which one of the Gort's forwards pulled on first time.

JHC
Not a great game but was always close which made it fairly exciting, at least in comparison to the first game.  Rasharkin pulled a man out the field leaving St Teresa's with an unmarked fulll back who was able to clean up everything that went in.  Rasharkin had a couple of chances to level it late on - one from a free on the 45m line away out to one side, which didn't make the distance when struck, and then a 65 which went wide at the death.  Saw a few Setanta people at the game last night - they're keen enough - heading up to Belfast on a week night when the weather's like that.

Donagh

Was looking forward to going to those games tonight (Friday). What sort of Mickey Mouse setup have Antrim got - how did they not know the Ulster had been set for this Sunday?

theskull1

If only there was a paid secretary to look after things then I'm sure this type of thing wouldn't happen  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Donagh

I hear St Teresa's have a league game on Sunday as well. They'll be doing well to play in two games at the same time.

aontroim

In regards to the Ulster dates Donagh i was chatting to someone last night who told me that the Antrim fixtures were released before the Ulster club fixtures came out - but needless to say there should have been enough time to re-arrange and pull them forward a week or two to give the 2 teams a chance to prepare for Sunday's ulster games.  Obviously the league games were put in there before knowing who would be playing in Ulster - Gort are also down for a game on Sunday.  And if St. Teresas had of been beaten last night i would have imagined the JFC Final would have been put in alongside the IFC on Saturday evening as a double header.

nrico2006

Donagh are you involved in any hurling clubs around Lurgan/Portadown?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

davincicode

Assessor where are you? Waiting on your overview of last nights games at casement, was there just wanted to know your opinions!

Assessor

Quote from: davincicode on October 03, 2008, 07:06:44 PM
Assessor where are you? Waiting on your overview of last nights games at casement, was there just wanted to know your opinions!

Hi Davinci

I was not at the games lkast night due to familt committments.  I understand I did not miss much though?

A very poor night for hurling.  You really have to question whether hurling should ever be played in such cold, wet and windy conditions.  I hear the games were very poorly attended also?

Cheers.
'The Profound Assessor'

Minder

Quote from: Assessor on October 03, 2008, 09:51:33 PM

Hi Davinci

I was not at the games lkast night due to familt committments.  I understand I did not miss much though?

A very poor night for hurling.  You really have to question whether hurling should ever be played in such cold, wet and windy conditions.  I hear the games were very poorly attended also?

Cheers.

It wasnt raining last night, as for the weather conditions, unfortunately historically October would not be our warmest month.............

Assessor

Quote from: Minder on October 03, 2008, 09:56:28 PM

Hi Davinci

Cheers.

It wasnt raining last night, as for the weather conditions, unfortunately historically October would not be our warmest month.............

It was raining in North Antrim though!  Despite no rain, I am sure the wind and the cold had a major impact on the game?
'The Profound Assessor'

Minder

Quote from: Assessor on October 03, 2008, 10:00:21 PM
Quote from: Minder on October 03, 2008, 09:56:28 PM

Hi Davinci

Cheers.

It was raining in North Antrim though!  Despite no rain, I am sure the wind and the cold had a major impact on the game?

Of course it would but what are the alternatives?