Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG

My point exactly there is some rumour with him every year coming up to the bigger matches!

theskull1

Straight from the Mickey Harte school of psychology. The story has got out that he has a broken jaw and had a pin put in it yesterday. There would have been more hush hush if there was chance he wouldn't be able to play

Half truths and mind games IMO
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Shamrock

lads lads lads.......

for god sake get over it. Liam has a broken jaw. End of. Like you say if you live by sword etc etc. No ones complaining. He got hit a couple of dirty slaps, he plays it tough so you get on with it. Whether he plays any role in final remains to be seen. But its not hear say.
Semi final is over. Dunloys gone. Can i just add that i have nothing but respect for Dunloy. They have been the BEST team in Antrim over last 14 years. Ally Elliot, Dick OKane etc are legends of the game. But worse for Dunloy- impossible to replace.

We have a serious game on our hands against Ruairi Ogs. We will need to get back down to earth quickly, get the hard work done on the training field and then go battle with the mighty men from the Dall. Has the making of another great game. Will we be able to get up to the same level of intensity as we showed on wednesday night. Will Dall be able to turn it on for the first time really this season. But they are the one team capable of it.

Another great night for us last night winning back to back minor titles. Another sign of the sea change in Hurling in Antrim.

Guillem2

Winker will play. No doubt about it. He'll probably be playing soccer tomorrow FFS!
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Glensman

Agree entirely with your post NAG and firmly agree with an earlier point that the names/county players are protected and get easier frees.
We see it in football as well...on the national stage as well discussed among other members of this board and then also at club level here and throughout the country.
It is not the referees job to protect county players but to officiate in a fair and reasonable manner.

If Winker was to miss the final it would be a shame,  given the performances he has put in he deserves to play and if he does have a broken jaw (which I hope he doesn't) and if he did miss work then that is not what our games are about.
However, I maintain that if Mickey McClements was not wearing a helmet with a facemask he would still be in hospital for something considerably more serious than a broken jaw as he pulled lowed and intentionally into his face.

I would say/hope Cushendall will be too long in the tooth to be even considering any of these matters. Having got through to the final a month ago may have helped their preparations and given them time to focus while keeping an eye on the other events.
Hopefully their lack of game time doesn't hinder them.

theskull1

Shamrock Shamrock Shamrock.......

What should we get over .....????

I'm confused

theskull1

Quote from: Cass on September 19, 2008, 10:35:57 AM
skull you are a truely awful individual...Watson has his jaw broke and is now recovering in hospital. Not once have i read any where from you, a word that would show any empathy towards his situation. I dont think any Dunloy player is unable to go to work today, and i'm sure watson has never broken any dunloy mans jaw in a hurling match either for you to be such a bitch about him. Was the injury that broke his jaw meant...of course it wasn't, but the fact is he was struck with a high blow and as a result his jaw is broken. Is there a decent word you have on this matter anywhere in your next post.

Quote from: theskull1 on September 18, 2008, 09:58:35 AM
I truely hope Liam Watson does not have a broken jaw.

Are you blind  ??? 

Only the most blinkered Shamrock supporters will not understand why a lot of people hold him in such disregard  (whilst still recognising he is supremely talented) . I have seen him try to inflict serious injury too many times, so how you can come on here and defend people having a problem with him is beyond me. You weren't at the Ulster Hurling League Final in Cloughmills last winter were you? You weren't at the Liam McGarry Memorial Tournament the year before?

You're dragging this out Cass. Most people don't need this explained to them. Just accept that alot of people think that Watson makes a rod for his own back and therefore outpouring of sympathy or empathy is in short supply when misfortune comes his way. It's just the way it is. I'm sure he can handle it, so why don't you.

monkey

My 2cents worth...
I wasnt at the game but heard full report from a mate who is neutral.  It was a very hard fought game full of fast hard hurling.  It wasnt for the faint hearted and i think the ref let a lot go in the early stages which perhaps contributed to the nature of the incidents which have been discussed. An earlier clampdown by Owen may have cooled things a bit but it may not have been as good a game, hard to call.
There were a few dirty strokes on both sides though i understand it was Dunloy in the majority, particulary towards the end of the game, that let themesleves down.  I was going to also say they let their supporters down too though after hearing a conversation this morning between 2 Dunloy supporters it might not apply:

"Bad match"
"Yes, we were very poor"
"Hear winker got broken jaw"
"Yes, I hear it is fractured in 2 places, had to go to Altnagalvin, that was the highlight of the match for me, (ha ha) good enough for him, pity he didnt get more"

I know there is bad blood on both sides but that sort of comment about any individual is disgusting.  I honestly believe that if an oppositon player got permanently injured it would bring a huge amount of pleasure to these sorts of "humans". 

Think we will have a different type of hurling in the final and looking forward to what should be a good match.  My prediction is that providing Watson is fit, the recent hard games for Loughgiel will put them in better position to defeat Cushendall by 5/6 points.  If Watson doesnt play it will be close but Loughgiel may just pip Cushendall.

theskull1

Quote from: monkey on September 19, 2008, 01:11:57 PM
My 2cents worth...
I wasnt at the game but heard full report from a mate who is neutral.  It was a very hard fought game full of fast hard hurling.  It wasnt for the faint hearted and i think the ref let a lot go in the early stages which perhaps contributed to the nature of the incidents which have been discussed. An earlier clampdown by Owen may have cooled things a bit but it may not have been as good a game, hard to call.
There were a few dirty strokes on both sides though i understand it was Dunloy in the majority, particulary towards the end of the game, that let themesleves down.  I was going to also say they let their supporters down too though after hearing a conversation this morning between 2 Dunloy supporters it might not apply:

"Bad match"
"Yes, we were very poor"
"Hear winker got broken jaw"
"Yes, I hear it is fractured in 2 places, had to go to Altnagalvin, that was the highlight of the match for me, (ha ha) good enough for him, pity he didnt get more"

I know there is bad blood on both sides but that sort of comment about any individual is disgusting.  I honestly believe that if an oppositon player got permanently injured it would bring a huge amount of pleasure to these sorts of "humans". 

There was more than 2 so called Dunloy supporters that disgraced themselves monkey. I heard them myself. But please don't extrapolate a conversation held between two of them to mean that we're all like that because the majority are not

milltown row

ok, job done, its a bitter pill for any player/supporter to swallow when real contenders are knocked out of championship. focus must now be put on the final which is next Sunday. Loughgiel are favourites wether they like it or not. Cushendall will have to match their passion and will to win if they are to overcome Loughgiel.

possible match ups Graffin on Winker, mc manus on James campbell. mc Gill on mccloskey (he took a bad knock also is he ok for the game) Johnny Campbell and Karl mcKeegan. and who ever picks up Shane McNaughton (wont be Barney) these are the key battles that will win the game. Aidan Delargy will pull the strings for Cushendall, drops deep and can pop up just about anywhere and is deadly accurate. on this I'm going for Cushendall but my gut tells me Loughgiel.

said Loughgiel would beat Dunloy, noticed during our game with them that Loughgiel had changed their gameplan. Watson will always score ten points but they did not always look for him in all the games. in the past they have been over reliant on him

clootfromthe21

I don't want to stray into dangerous territory and I don't want anyone to name names, make accusations or anything like that but I'm just curious as to how Watson came to suffer the injury.

The BBC (I know, I know) is stating that "Watson sustained a broken jaw in a collision". Now this could be a simple statement of fact, a euphemism, or simply the Beeb not knowing what its talking about.

Was it a simple collision, something more, or was it  even noticeable during the game?

milltown row

happened in the second half late on won ball between the 45 and 21 and came through two high enough takles no different to what was going on prior. hit got up and took the free and lashed it over the bar, played on for a bit till McKeague got him, though not in the face ::)

hope that solves it for ya

Minder

It will be a case of how many scores Loughguile can get from the supporting cast. Watson will guarantee you 10 points, there isnt a back in Antrim able to handle him. If it is still tight towards the end Loughguiles demons may come back, in fairness there was no sign of this the other night. An aspect that will help the Shamrocks is two good tough games before the final, whereas in past years they had walked into the final without a challenge they now know they can come out on the right side of a close match when it really matters. Cassidy seems to have them prepared to peak at the right time and they have improved immensely from last year. Last years final will have brought the younger lads on immeasurably so there shouldnt be any stage fright........BUT i still think Cushendall will win as their backs may smother the Loughguile forwards ( bar Watson). If anyone hears any betting for the final get it posted.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

JamesH

Re: Watson If and i suspect he will plays in the final, against medical advice, will he be covered by Coyle Hamilton insurers for the Gaa? It would be possible to injure him badly by just a shoulder , something that will happen even in the mildest game. I would imagine Ruairi og backs will not show much respect to any Loughgiel forwards.