Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

He let a wee bit too much go cloot (emphasis on the wee bit), but you (I) could see that be was trying to let the match flow and not be overly fussy. I would blame the players for over stepping the mark rather than the referee for any of the over heated stuff.

I thought he had a great game myself. Up to other referees and more importantly players to get used to this let the game flow philosohy, which can only benefit us in the long run
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Shamrock

Im not going to start gloating ;) ;)

The best team won. Like a few of you have said, we were certainly fitter, hungrier and that old cliche we wanted it more. To be fair thats a monkey off our back. We havent put dunloy out of the championship in 20 years so mentally it was a massive win.

But we are only in the final - and have nothing won. Having spoke to a couple of players today - theres a big change from previous years. You can see we are playing to a system, which never happened before so the management derserve praise there. But Cushendall will be a diff proposition in the final.

They will be favourites as they "know how to win finals" and we don't.

Thought ref was good, fair and let things go. As for the last 10 mins, i wont make much comment. Dunloy let themseloves down and deserve the crap that comes with it. Some of the slaps, tackles were a disgrace and if the shoe was on the other foot we would be getting slated!

By i wont complain - we are where we want to be.

Another big night tonight - minors play Gort Na Mona - the club is buzzin at min - sop hopefully that can drive the lads on tonight

theskull1

Not quite sure how you know that to be true, but it still has nothing to do with the points I made. I think everybody else understand's it so I'm not going to waste my time spelling it out to you.

theskull1

Gloat away Shamrock.... you've every right to...the better team won

But don't come on here taking the high moral ground. Yes in was poor form and very uncharacteristic (you failed to mention that) but we're not the club that has shown that type of indicipline year in year out. Problem was that Dunloy lowered themselves last night to a level others are well used to.

Enjoy your victory 

girt_giggler

Shamrock, I've sent you a PM if you could get back to me next time you are online if possible it would be great!

Ta in advance

maxpower

its not three months since the shamrocks had 3 men sent off against us so to come on hear slating our discipline is a wee bit hypocritical. This is my last comment on this as i will only come across bitter and ungracious (maybe i am) but i hate, absolutely detest, the way some of your players think its hard to flick people in the manly regions then fall to when the inevitable belt back comes.
What happens next????

theskull1

Again Dunloy lowered themselves to the oppositions level. You might want to remember who the aggressors were that day and other days where we did not bite

Are you disputing the widely held view over this past 20 years that Dunloy were one of the cleanest teams to play the game?

NAG

Cass

I think you'll find that Dunloy has probably one of the top disciplinary records of any team of any level in the county.They have represented antrim and ulster with distinction at the very top level.

I think your glasses may be a bit darker than most if you cant admit to this.

NAG

Your going to be some addition to this discussion board going by your first few posts.

Having been at the game and sundays match, I would say there was very little 'hurling' played in either game, the only hope loughgiel had of beating dunloy was to drag them down and turn it into a dog fight which they did so fair play to them.

The two sendings off were unfortunate, mckeague was unlucky as it was a genuine attempt at a tackle and i didnt see the other one id say along with most other people in casement.

Dunloy have set the standard for hurling over the past 20 years and most teams are still playing catch up.

theskull1

Quote from: Cass on September 18, 2008, 01:59:24 PM
Nag and Skull I wont be knocking Dunloy in that respect. Absolutley not! But dont be painting a story of poor dunloy bring dragged down into playing some type of foriegn game. They were totally out played last night in the fine skillful game of hurling

If I believe it Cass and all the evidence (i.e Dunloys discipline record over the past 20 years balanced against Loughgiels over the past 20) backs it up then I've every right to defend attacks from the likes of yourself regarding Dunloys reputation on the hurling pitch.

Yes they were outplayed by a hungrier and fitter team. But if you call the game last night a "fine skillful game of hurling" you are only showing up your own lack of knowledge of the game.

imtommygunn

NAG I think you're being a bit harsh on Loughgiel by effectively saying that the only hope was to bring them down to their level. Over two games Dunloy failed to beat them. I personally wasn't too worried who won but there is not much between the two teams. Dunloy last year were too good for Loughgiel however in hurling or dogfight ability that was not the case this year. Loughgiel have definitely improved on last year.

The boys that could win them the game were that year older and dare I say it slower. In saying that Ally Elliot , in his five or so minute burst on Sunday, was a good a player as on the pitch.

Everyone at some time or another loses their discipline. It's fair to comment on it but it is out of character as you go player for player and not much dirt in that Dunloy team. Some people seem to take great pleasure in these things but I don't think that Shamrock was one of them to be fair to him.

bannside

Was at the two games, and thoroughly enjoyed them both. No doubt the best team won, fitter, hungrier and sharper all over the pitch. The final should be a cracker.

I would be a football man mostly, but also love a good game of hurling too, and I have a question for some of you diehard hurling men. Was the intensity and fitness levels seen last night not a different level from what we say in some of the same players when they played inter county championship earlier in the year? The Down game was like played in slow motion compared to last night, I thought. Joe Cassidy must be given some credit for this.

Secondly, have to say that Watson is on a different planet, talent wise to anything else in the province. Like him or not he is a real star, and worth the admission money alone.

gallsman

Watson's "pull" halfway through the first half was fair. Happened right in front of me. He beat his man to the ball, pulled and , most importantly, played the ball before making contact with his marker. Loughiel were far, far superior on the night. The Loughiel 17 who came on initially as a blood sub should have walked almost immediately- he ducked, didn't even look at the ball ad swung over his head!

davincicode

Just to say "excellent game of hurling", missed Sunday,s had to go home for the weekend, what a treat to watch! Well done Owen Elliott, hate to say it guys, you all leveled criticism on Elliott/Duffy/Matthews told you, their experience doing National games is at last comming through, a referee in Dublin would be able to dine out for free on that game for the next 12 months!

Hope the final serves up the same type of contest! Who will be the man in the middle for that one?

theskull1

Quote from: gallsman on September 18, 2008, 05:32:12 PM
Watson's "pull" halfway through the first half was fair. Happened right in front of me. He beat his man to the ball, pulled and , most importantly, played the ball before making contact with his marker. Loughiel were far, far superior on the night. The Loughiel 17 who came on initially as a blood sub should have walked almost immediately- he ducked, didn't even look at the ball ad swung over his head!

I don't know of anyone who thought it was a free gallsman, but you are telling me that you didn't see the intent to get something on the man (possibly the main intention)? I've seen him at this too many times to know that that pull wasn't simply an unfortunate blow