Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngfella

The problem is simlar to ballycastle problem good underage, but missing that link into senior level. For any club this is a vital area that is often ignored. It is comparable to the transfer of the baton in the 4*400 race, the lad receiveing the baton needs to be up to speed with the fella coming through. Both of these teams mentioned could well do with looking into this area, it could be put right within a few years and HS could be made to eat his words, St john had some great players(knocker and meader spring to mind) in a very strong minor and u-21 team not so long ago. Together with some of the youngboys from the recent feile success could make a formitable team. They just need to look after there players and get them invovled with the seniors at the right age.

Then again all this is undone it the eejits book holidays in the middle of championship.

Its the transfer stage is were it all matters the young fellas feel there part of the senior panel and stick with the club
Pull hard and early

NAG

I have to agree with most of what has been said on this issue.

Its that vital stage between minor and the transition to senior level. I think alot of it is to do with the manager if the young guys believe in them and the structure they have in their training then they will stick with it.

The clubs need to put the pathway in place for the young talent to develop and come through to senior level. St Johns have failed dismally to do this in recent years along with the majority of belfast clubs.

theskull1

Agree with those points

Can't understand why our County Board don't offer advice/tutelage on how clubs need to focus on this stage of a hurler/footballers development

It is in their best interest to do so as you would get better quality/commitment coming through from Minor to Senior

Another thing that seriously needs to be addressed

Anyone who watched the Waterford Tipp match and then went down to Ballycastle later in the evening would see that there is a massive gulf in what gets blown as a foul up here and what gets blown down south. Now referee's up here will say they are blowing genuine fouls, but they are missing the point and the gulf that it creates between the intensity of the game up here and in the traditional hurling areas.

I feel that the County Management should be sitting down with the County Board and the Referees to try to convince them that the refereeing style needs to reflect what happens in the rest of the Country. If they got such an agreement it should then be put to the clubs that there would be a uniform change in the refereeing of our games up here and that the clubs have a responsibility to prepare their teams for that change. so that players don't lose the head when they don't get frees they may have got in the past. Serious discipline would be needed by the players to make such a change work, but they all know I'm sure that they need to get used to hurling with that little bit more intensity. Antrim will never be able to compete with that Southern style of hurling on the the breaking ball and in the tackle if we do not get used to doing it week in week out
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

playwiththewind1st

All very laudable sentiments indeed, but there are 2 major problems:

1). It is the players (& mentors) themselves who want a free given every time somebody goes within 5 yards of them.

2). There are still merchants in the game who aren't happy until the row starts.

Cure those 2 problems, adopt the same atitude that the players in, for example, Munster display (i.e. hard, tough & "mostly" clean) & I'm sure you would find officials willing to let the game "flow", as the current turn of phrase has it.

youngfella

Quote from: NAG on August 19, 2008, 01:31:12 PM
I have to agree with most of what has been said on this issue.

Its that vital stage between minor and the transition to senior level. I think alot of it is to do with the manager if the young guys believe in them and the structure they have in their training then they will stick with it.

The clubs need to put the pathway in place for the young talent to develop and come through to senior level. St Johns have failed dismally to do this in recent years along with the majority of belfast clubs.

Totally agree. the young players (and the older ones) need stablity in the club, the same management team and a rotating pool of good coaches and phyiscal trainers for the management to choose from. Unless something is terriblilty badly wrong with the management or a long plan has not being achieved or even put in place, then there is no need for the annual changes of management that we often here about.

Theres a few view and critiques for you groundlie? HS will no doubt add his voice to the matter as well.
Pull hard and early

milltown row

lads gives us a quick reminder of how to get to Glenarms pitch from Belfast, is it, head to Larne then on to Glearm, through Glenarm then a left to Feys town road? having not played there for 6/7 years i'm a little rusty on the directions.

Minder

Quote from: milltown row on August 20, 2008, 03:55:52 PM
lads gives us a quick reminder of how to get to Glenarms pitch from Belfast, is it, head to Larne then on to Glearm, through Glenarm then a left to Feys town road? having not played there for 6/7 years i'm a little rusty on the directions.

Ah yes Glenarm, they will play without the ball if needed.......Thankfully we havent had to play there in a while, if memory serves me right go up into the village then take a left up a hill then a right and you are halfway up the mountain. Hopefully you wont have to ask any of the natives for directions.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

always rely on the Minder to sort me out, i myself will be drawing swords with the men from Ardonye, they always manage to swing early and often.....or is it vote early and vote often ??? either way i have my self prepared for a battle.

youngfella

Quote from: Minder on August 20, 2008, 04:01:14 PM
Quote from: milltown row on August 20, 2008, 03:55:52 PM

Ah yes Glenarm, they will play without the ball if needed.

NEver a truer word spoken
Pull hard and early

Minder

ACHL Div 1 Result tonight.

Glenariffe 4-11 Ballycastle 5-13

Our boys are heading for the trap door.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

MrT

Quote from: hardstation on August 20, 2008, 07:34:46 PM
What was the craic with the late throw-in in the Rossa - Cushendall match, which saw Aiden Hamill sent off? I hear Rossa were out at 5 to 7 and Cushendall hadn't appeared at 20 past. Hamill had words with the ref (Garret Duffy?) and got the line. Anyone who was there confirm?

Cushendall up to their old tricks, they often dont come out until well after time of game.  Maybe its their way of mind games.
From what i saw hamill was sent out before match even started for shouting at ref to get cushendall out.  He was soon kept company by Jim Connolly though!!  :D

theskull1

Cushendall 2-13  Dunloy 3-16

Both teams not totally firing as far as I could see. Don't think anybody gave anything away tonight. Referee was consistent with both teams  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

youngfella

Quote from: Minder on August 20, 2008, 09:04:45 PM

Glenariffe 4-11 Ballycastle 5-13

Our boys are heading for the trap door.

Ballycastle won a game of hurling?!? Thats shocking in itself, but a game that has 9 goals in it and four against the county keeper :o. Who were ballycastle playing in the full? who got there goals!?
Pull hard and early

aontroim

Last Nights Results

Antrim Hurling Div 1

Ballygalget 2-15 v 1-15 Portaferry   
Cushendall 2-13 v 3-16 Dunloy   
St. Johns 0-11 v 1-18 Loughgiel      
Glenariff 4-11 v 5-13 Ballycastle      

Antrim Hurling Div 2-3

Cloughmills    3-5 v 3-16 Rossa   
Gaeil Chluana 0-23 v 0-6 Sarsfields   
Gort Na Mona 1-15 v 1-18 Tir na Nog   
Shane O Neills - v - St. Galls - Not Played   
Armoy 0-12 v 2-10 Cushendun      
Lamh Dhearg 0-15 v 1-8 St. Pauls      

Antrim Hurling Div 4A - 2008

Ballymena 0-9 v 1-10 St. Endas

Antrim Hurling Div 4B - 2008

Bredagh - v - Sean McDermotts  Not Played   
Davitts 2-12 v 2-8 St. Brigids B

davincicode

Hardstation, i was at the game, Aiden Hamill 1st abused Mc Sparren then went straight for the referee in the middle, granted rossa where out at 6.50 and the Dall did,nt come out to 7pm on the dot. Hamill should know that apart from blowing his whistle the referee has no power until the allocated 15mins after start time has passed, he can only report the offending team. I listened to the abuse about 20-25 mins in that connolly was shouting, he got what he deserved in my opinion, he was well out of order.

Aiden Hamill in my opinion needs therapy, he has lost it. Rossa where just outclassed and looked an average Div2 team at best, M kettle was the man of the match, he was excellent, chris hammil did,nt figure at all should pack it in. Felt sorry for some of rossa,s good minors that team will ruin them, especially if hammil is left to manage them. £8 to watch that, ive seen better Div3 teams in Dublin.