Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Hands FFS

Cushendall missing maybe 2/3 depending on selections & Dunloy probably missing 4 at least

milltown row

our game against Loughgiel may be another date due to the Tommy Murphy Cup, we have Andy McClean on that team, were bad enough as it is, but sure we'll give it a lash. we'd two out at training on Saturday. so we'll play well till halftime then not bother to come out in the second half

Two Hands FFS

According to antrim website it's due to be played on Saturday. Would St Galls Play on Sunday & move C'dall Glenariffe to Saturday evening

Glensman

If the game can't be moved to the Sunday then it should be played on Saturday.

Milltown - along with others here you have complained re fixtures. This weekend has been set for months to start the championship. Andy can choose.

Apologies if that appears blunt but am pretty disillusioned with where we are as a county on the national scene and internally. We need some form of consistency in this county. How can men plan their year round fixtures and then be told they move?

Glensman

No fixtures in Irish News for Antrim this week and can't access the fixtures bit of the Antrim website.

Could someone post them here please? Cheers.

theskull1

Quote from: Glensman on July 28, 2008, 06:36:11 PM
If the game can't be moved to the Sunday then it should be played on Saturday.

Milltown - along with others here you have complained re fixtures. This weekend has been set for months to start the championship. Andy can choose.

Apologies if that appears blunt but am pretty disillusioned with where we are as a county on the national scene and internally. We need some form of consistency in this county. How can men plan their year round fixtures and then be told they move?

:o
Are you wise Glensman?  I can only assume you are affiliated to a club which hasn't had a county player in your recent memory. Do you even have a club?

Clubs need some preparation time for the championship. Hardly fair the county exercising the 13 day rule for themselves and then going out and demanding that a County Player play two championship games within 24 hours. Catch yourself on
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Glensman

So what do you suggest Skull?

Loughgeil/StGalls game gets moved to the following week or the midweek. Will St Galls football game (I assume they have one) be moved to the week after, the next round of the championship be moved to the week after.

Its a vicious circle and you are the biggest voice on here about sorting out Antrim club fixtures - club fixtures are not just about county players. He could play saturday in the Tommy Murphy and then Sunday evening in the hurling if it was changed.
Maybe stating that Andy can choose was harsh but my main point remains the same.

NAG

I believe you are both arguing different angles of the same point.

Skull is an advocate of getting back to the clubs and getting fixtures up and running consistently but he is also wary of the bigger clubs being punished for having successful talented players.

Glensman you are wanting the fixtures to go ahead regardless but this produces the situation where the better players are being punished for being just that bit better.

IMO there is a happy medium to be struck, there is no way that a fixture as long in the diary as this one should be affected by one player on team, I dont see a problem with the game being moved to by one day to accomodate as long as both clubs were in agreement.

Any serious predictions for the games are there any upsets on the cards or is it the status quo as per usual?

aontroim

My humble predictions in red....

Antrim SHC 1/4 Finals

St. Johns v Rossa - Casement Park - 01/08/2008 - 19:00 - McAuley Liam
Loughgiel v St. Galls - Dunloy - 02/08/2008 - 19:00 - Matthews Ray
Glenariff v Cushendall - Ballycastle - 03/08/2008 - 15:00 - Elliott Owen
Dunloy v Ballycastle - Loughguile - 03/08/2008 - 18:30 - Duffy Garrett

Antrim IHC - 2008

Sarsfields v Carey Faughs - Casement Park - 02/08/2008 - 17:30 - Wells Terence
Gaeil Chluana v Armoy - Dunloy - 02/08/2008 - 17:30 - McHenry John
Lamh Dhearg v Gort Na Mona - Casement Park - 02/08/2008 - 19:00 - McIntyre Tommy 

Antrim JHC - 2008

Mc Dermotts v Cloughmills - Corrigan Park - 01/08/2008 - 19:30 - Robinson Gerard
Ardoyne v Creggan Gaels - St. Endas - 01/08/2008 - 19:30 - Reid James 
Davitts v St. Agnes - St. Teresas - 01/08/2008 - 19:30 - Graham Harry 
St. Brigids v Larne - St. Brigids - 01/08/2008 - 19:30 - Toland, Brendan

St. Endas v Rasharkin - Sarsfields - 01/08/2008 - 19:30 - Prenter Sean (Qtr Final )

theskull1

Antrim CCC got the master fixture list from croke park months ago. I can only assume that they have arranged club championship dates knowing that there would be a chance that county commitments might jeopardize those dates. Lots of counties do the same. I don't like it myself. Too many counties waiting on their county teams finishing off, but proper respect must be given to the clubs and that means giving them time together to prepare for the most important match of the year for them. The fact that there is only one player concerned may warrant the game being played sooner, but Andy McLean must be given time to recover properly for the game surely

To get better fixtures we need less County training as well as matches county matches and an end to that 13 day rule. We certainly did not benefit from having it in place this year.

"club fixtures are not just about county players".....  ??? it's championship ffs

Do you belong to a club Glens? I seriously doubt it

Glensman

I once played for the same team as you Skull.

St Galls v Loughgeil and St John's v Rossa moved to a double header at Casement on Sunday evening. 5pm and 7pm.
Sorted.
Big Andy and wee Closey can get in an ice bath straight away and get flown up by helicopter from Croke (landing during the Down game in the middle of the pitch).

themanwhowasntthere

Latest version:

Antrim SHC - 2008
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Comment
Loughgiel  St. Galls  Glenravel 02/08/2008 19:00 Matthews Ray Qtr Final 
St. Johns  Rossa  Casement Park 03/08/2008 14:00 McAuley Liam Qtr Final 
Glenariff  Cushendall  Ballycastle 03/08/2008 15:00 Elliott Owen Qtr Final 
Dunloy  Ballycastle  Loughguile 03/08/2008 18:30 Duffy Garrett Qtr Final

theskull1

:o Even more confused now Glens as to why you hold that opinion

Preparing for championship without county players is far from ideal. The miserly 1 week just isn't enough for a team with ambition

Shamrock

The game wont be moved........this is the date we have been training for all year. Lets be honest the Tommy Murphy cup does not merit moving a club championship match. If county was going to move it, wud have done so 2 weeks ago.

Wer raring to go!!!!!

NAG

This is where it starts to get interesting anything that has gone before this season is now pretty much irrelevant and its all down to on the day.

Dont think there is anyone out there overly cofident of what way this one will go, should make for an interesting few weeks.