Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG

Ryan McGarry must be getting sick of reaching into the net thats 13 goals in a 24 hour period must be some sort of record!

The senior county team traveled to play waterford with 18 players.

This is a sad reflection on the current set up.

milltown row

I'm back, bloody server wasn't letting me on all fixed now.

played clooney Gaels last night and after going for twenty minutes without them scoring and us hitting 2-7 was thinking we will tank this team. but by the end of the first half they managed 1-2 . the Gaels picked it up in the second half and went in front but could not hold on for the win and we won by 5 in the end, referee did not turn up and they refereed it, did a fair job also.

they had good movement and a game plan that they stuck to. not sure if they would hold their own against the bigger teams though. we had a load of lads that played two games yesterday also, injuries and holidays and states sides lads missing. but sure Ballycran don't seem to be losing and with only one team dropping down, either  Ballycastle or Glenariffe then another year in div 2 awaits

Arthur_Friend

Anybody know what way the league tables stand at the minute?

Minder

Points in bold Arthur

League table for Antrim Hurling Div 1- 2008
Team Played Won Lost Drawn Points For Points Against Points Diff Points
Dunloy  6 6 0 0 142 76 66 12
Loughgiel  6 4 2 0 115 77 38 8
Portaferry  7 4 3 0 122 110 12 8
St. Johns  6 4 2 0 100 88 12 8
Ballygalget  6 3 3 0 104 98 6 6
Cushendall  6 2 4 0 95 112 -17 4
Glenariff  7 1 6 0 120 159 -39 2
Ballycastle  6 1 5 0 68 146 -78 2
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Arthur_Friend

Thanks Chuck, looks like it will prob be Glenariff or Ballycastle for the chop....unless the leagues are restructured again.....

Minder

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on July 07, 2008, 11:31:10 AM
Thanks Chuck, looks like it will prob be Glenariff or Ballycastle for the chop....unless the leagues are restructured again.....

Well they probably will be restructured if the Town are for the drop.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Two Hands FFS

Aye they are going very poorly HS..think they are finding it hard getting the numbers out(nothing coming through)....& alot of the older players who came out of retirement to win the intermediate have quit again.

Tony Baloney

Sure Cushendun will win the heap now they are using/marketing new synthetic sticks! I think they'll need more than these to make much progress with no players coming through!

slow corner back

In fairness to cushendun they would have normally been an intermediate side they punched well above there weight for a number of years, as it must be said glenariffe are doing now in all fairness. When you see some of the turn outs for st brendans which is a three team accumulation its fair to say that it will be quite a while before cushendun are back in senior hurling.

Belfast Gael

would it not be better for antrim hurling if we got rid of the down clubs and had an 8 team all Antrim league...?
::) ???

slow corner back

Welcome Belfast Gael and thanks for the controversial first post. I have top disagree with you on it the down teams generally produce good competitive sides which improve the standard of our leagues. If the top eight sides in Antrim were good enough the three down teams would be relegated to div 2 however the top sides in antrim are not good enough and next year we will have three down teams in Div1 once again. The main point is to keep div 1 as competitive as possible and improve the overall standard of hurling, banning the down teams will not do that

theskull1

Afraid scb is 100% correct BG. The Antrim clubs not making the grade have to improve. If they were hurling at the right standard then they wouldn't be where they are. Fact is the 3 ards clubs are far more serious about their hurling than most if not all belfast clubs. It certainly feels that way when you see them compete. They look as if they give a fcuk, which is something which could not be said about many players in Belfast (although not all I hasten to add).
Lots of work needed to improve the game and more importantly the levels of passion for hurling throughout the county. All this county team shite is so negative and self defeating. We should focus on our club game and really increase the PR it gets and look for more positive messages regarding the game rather than demoralise ourselves with hammerings down south every summer. That to me is the way forward
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

bannside

Whats the story with only 18 players travelling to play Waterford/

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: theskull1 on July 07, 2008, 05:40:27 PM
Fact is the 3 ards clubs are far more serious about their hurling than most if not all belfast clubs.

Are all of the major Belfast hurling clubs not dual clubs, whereas the Ards clubs are hurling only? Does that point the way to go perhaps?

sail_in

Quoteplayed clooney Gaels last night and after going for twenty minutes without them scoring and us hitting 2-7 was thinking we will tank this team. but by the end of the first half they managed 1-2 . the Gaels picked it up in the second half and went in front but could not hold on for the win and we won by 5 in the end, referee did not turn up and they refereed it, did a fair job also.

they had good movement and a game plan that they stuck to. not sure if they would hold their own against the bigger teams though. we had a load of lads that played two games yesterday also, injuries and holidays and states sides lads missing. but sure Ballycran don't seem to be losing and with only one team dropping down, either  Ballycastle or Glenariffe then another year in div 2 awaits

to be honest Milltown I was very disappointed by our display yesterday - I thought we would have give you a better game than that.

we didn't start early enough and then once we did start we quit too early, having only played about 20 minutes.  I don't think anybody could seriously argue that the better team lost though, so fair play to you! 

Matches like that are the sort we want to be playing and that game, together with St Paul's this Sunday, and Randalstown next weekend will hopefully leave us in good shape going into the Chamionship against Armoy on the 2nd.