Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

themanwhowasntthere

It's mentioned there in passing, but it's elsewhere.

Minder

Colonel i wouldnt have Randall up but i would give Paul a go. He is a better hurler in my opinion than Mc Crory, Nipper Quinn, Pj o connell, Maguire and Shane mc Naughton to name a few. As for ciaran mc gourty,he is the best out of the three brothers,milltowns opinion would be worth hearing
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Quote from: hardstation on March 21, 2008, 08:33:03 PM
Quote from: Minder on March 21, 2008, 08:09:33 PM
Maguire
Philly is one of the soundest lads you'll ever meet but his inclusion on the Antrim squad is baffling. Token lower league player?
Aye i think so Hardstation.Every Antrim manager seems to throw one or two in so nobody can say he isnt giving players from the lower divisions a chance

Shamrock

Cant bite my lip any longer!!! Never heard as much shit being talked from Groundie. Claiming players are not good enough. If you know anything about being a senior inter county player - turning up for training and getting the gear is the minimum requirement. Hence the reason why i firmly believe the current management (who if they kept their mouths shut) are doing  a decent job. they have the majority of players living the lives of county players and while we may not be good enough, they have made progress....beat offaly, wexford, kilkenny in one season is fair progress. Lets be honest we have to be realistic

Minder

Shamrock i agree with some of what you have said but this nonsense about players are now living how county players should is just that,nonsense. Go into the bot or another well known North Antrim watering hole at the weekend and you will see players from various clubs "refuelling"

Shamrock

Prob every now and again. But I know for a fact the majority are doing extra nights in the gym, eating correctly etc......has this been the norm in the past. It wont happen overnight but i firmly believe that in 4/5 years we will see the real benefits. Our own Neilly McGarry is the prime example....whether he is intercounty full back material is open to debate, i personally feel there are not many better in that position in antrim. But Neill trains like a demon, lives lifestyle, has built him himself seriously in last 18 months and is a driven young lad. Is that a bad thing? Dont think so........compare this to 2 or 3 years ago where certain inter county players were bringing carryouts in their kit bag for after championship matches.......are we making progress????

PlayWithTheWind

3-22 to 1-8

bring back the walsh cup
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

PlayWithTheWind

Cats Cream Glensmen in Second-Half Rout: Kilkenny 3.22 Antrim 1.08                                     23 March 2008

Despite going in at half-time on equal terms with the All Ireland Champions, Antrim were no match for Kilkenny in the second half and they eventually lost by a 20 point margin.

Paddy Richmond grabbed Antrim's first-half goal to leave the half-time score at 1.05 to 0.08 but Kilkenny tore the Saffrons apart in the second half with Antrim managing just 3 points in this period.

Antrim now move into Division 2 of the restructured leagues which will surely provide them with a level of competition at which they can compete more consistently.

youngfella

was there much wind? level at half time is impressive. Were there any stand out players?
Pull hard and early

youngfella

Hes a crackin keeper deseves his spot alright. I think a fair number of positives can be taken from the first half.
Pull hard and early

aontroim abu

It's true.I can confirm  that our dear friend Milltown Row has indeed gone over to the dark side. I always knew he had an evil streak But didn't think he was into S&M

PlayWithTheWind

NHL: Kilkenny cruise to victory
23 March 2008

Kilkenny's embarrassment of riches came home to roost at Nowlan Park as they romped to a facile 3-22 to 1-8 NHL Division 1A win over Antrim.

After a slow, tepid start, the Cats leaped into their stride to propel themselves into the semi-final and leave the Ulstermen facing relegation from the top flight.

Antrim seemed up for the match early on and a Paddy Richmond goal hoisted the visitors into a merited 1-4 to 0-3 lead by the 27th minute with Martin Comerford and Liam Watson helping themselves to fine points for their respective sides in the interim.

Slowly but surely Kilkenny began to find their feet and by half-time they were on level terms, 0-8 to 1-5 thanks, in part, to some fine points by James Ryle, Aidan Fogarty and Richie Hogan while Antrim hung in there with neat points from the likes of Watson and goalscorer Richmond.

It was all downhill though for the Saffons on the restart with Aidan Fogarty bagging the Cats' first goal after some fine points by Eddie Brennan and Hogan plus Cha Fitzpatrick left the hosts leading by 1-15 to 1-5 with 50 minutes on the clock.

With just over ten minutes left to play, it was a game of damage limitation for Antrim as they faced a 1-6 to 2-17 deficit with Martin Comerford adding to the Cats' tally with a well-taken goal.

Things got even worse for the visitors as a goal by Damien Fogarty four minutes from time added salt into their gaping wound.

Kilkenny - J McGarry; C Hickey, JJ Delaney, D Cody; J Dalton, B Hogan, PJ Delaney; J Fitzpatrick (0-2), J Ryall; R Hogan (0-7), M Fennelly, E Brennan (0-2); D Fogarty (1-3), M Comerford (1-2), A Fogarty (1-3). Subs - E Walsh for JJ Delaney, E McGrath for Fitzpatrick, E Reid (0-1) for Comerford, TJ Reid (0-1) for Brennan.

Antrim - R McGarry; A Graffin, N McGarry, S Delargy; C Herron, C Donnelly, K McKeegan; PJ O'Connell, K Stewart (0-1); P McGill, D McNaughton, L Watson (0-5); S McNaughton, P Richmond (1-1), P Shiels (0-1). Subs - B Quinn for D McNaughton, S McCrory for Donnelly, J Campbell for P McGill.

I see Donnelly lined out at centre back,  any improvements on his performance?
Some height in midfield with O'Connell and Stewart  :-[

youngfella

I would imagine he swapped with karl before long. strong as an ox but not much pace. S & W could do with sharpening this lads up for championship. now the county game have finished can the hurlers play for the clubs again?
Pull hard and early

youngfella

hes a mouth piece alright. However he is making progress winning the walsh cup, beating wexford and being level with kilkenny at half time. these are good indicators of performance. Its a slow process but the team can hold there head with what they have achieved this season.
Pull hard and early

youngfella

HS, going by the match report, it seems we give it all in the first half and were bollocked in the second. We've all being there. Its time to give the team esp the youngboys a bit of pat on the back. Back with there clubs they will get match fit and sambo using his 'contacts' will arrange some challange games, We cant hope for the all Ireland but a few upsets is what we are after. As for the wexford game it goes to show what are boys can do when they have a bit of fight in them.
Pull hard and early