Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

Michael Gribben, father of paul griben (nee veronica) ;D

Yes Michael came in last year to work with the team with the view of taking us the following season. Michael was a great player in both hurling and football and represented antrim at all levels. has always taken the juveniles but all the ones he has taken over the years are now on the senior squad.

comands a lot of respect from the current squad and committie of the club so that always heps. looking forward to playing this year, unfortunately it will be div 4 for me

PlayWithTheWind

3-26 to 2-9  final score  :-[
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

Minder

well the score i saw was 3-29 to 3-10,either way it is a bloody hammering
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

PlayWithTheWind

your right, just checked aertel again

3.29 to 2.10 shocking

Minder

The walsh cup seems like a long time ago,cork next sunday so it wont get much better

Minder

How the hell does a team that is training as well as we are constantly told concede 3-29 in a game ?

glens73

Quote from: hardstation on March 09, 2008, 04:11:18 PM
I heard that McGourty started at left half forward in place of Magill or Mc Gill.

It's just wrong, in my opinion, that Sambo and Woody have even entertained the thought of having McGourty in the hurling squad.

His commitment to the football team means that he just shouldn't be considered and it's a joke that full-time club hurlers are being overlooked for him.

theskull1

Personally can see why they took a chance inviting McG onto the panel, with a view to having his stick work at a decent standard for championship, but I'd be very surprised if it is any where close to what it needs to be for County hurling at the minute. Must have been a very loose game today. 32 scores is some nicking. Waterford we must remember are a top 3 side. Sure we're no closer to waterford, but I really wouldn't expect us to be. Just need to keep improving standards throughout the county through proper coaching. Play regular club fixtures at a good intensity. Once the quantity of quality players improves then we give ourselves a chance. Once again unrealistic expectations are being set after one or two decent results.

Fully expect Cork to run riot next week, they showed a fair amount of class in the second half today. Just wish they carried that class off the pitch.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

PlayWithTheWind

NHL: holders hammer Saffrons
09 March 2008

Waterford handed out a lesson to Antrim as they stormed to a comprehensive 3-29 to 3-10 Division 1A victory at Dungarvan.

It was all Waterford early on and Antrim, playing into the wind, were shellshocked as the Decies tore into a 1-5 to no score lead inside ten minutes. Declan Prendergast, Dan Shanahan, Ken McGrath (2) and Eoin Kelly scored the points and Dan the Man found the net to compound the northerners' woe.

The hosts continued to dominate and had further scores from McGrath (2), captain Michael Walsh and Kelly. Brendan Quinn opened the Saffrons' account in the 14th minute and that score sparked a mini Antrim revival.

Liam Watson knocked over a couple of points and Simon McRory netted as the gap came down to nine points, 1-13 to 1-4. But Waterford were in relentless form and they tore into a 2-18 to 1-5 lead after half an hour.

Walsh, Kelly (2), the two Prendergasts and substitute Eoin McGrath were all on target and Shanahan grabbed his second goal. Waterford added two more points to lead by 18 at the break, 2-20 to 1-5.

The rout continued and the rampant Munster county led by 3-26 to 2-9 with ten minutes to play. Kelly (1-6) grabbed their third goal and Karl Stewart kicked one to the net for Antrim.

Paddy Richmond bagged a late consolation goal for the Glensmen but Antrim went home with their tails between their legs.

slow corner back

To concede 2-20 in the first half of any match is truly awful. It is no good saying 'A sure waterford are better than us' any team with any pride at all should not be conceding this in a first half. It is very simple to disrupt a game when playing into the wind, withdraw a forward or two crowd your defence commit a few fouls FFS!  All you need to do is break up the game and kill time. I am not saying Antrim could have won this but they could have kept it respectable.
It is due to awful results like this where we do not even put up a fight that southern counties consider us an irrelevant nuisance and organise championships and leagues accordingly.

Minder

Totally agree SCB,Waterford are a top team alright but there is no way a Division 1 intercounty team of "elite athletes" should allow another team to rack up 2-20 in one half of hurling. You have to ask what do they do when they are training all week. We dont have the ability of Waterford but surely our much vaunted fitness levels (Waterford had only returned from a team holiday 6 weeks ago) and a bit of aggression can go a long way. We have been "learning" from these hammerings for about 20 years without learning anything, if you get my drift......

theskull1

Quote from: Minder on March 09, 2008, 09:16:36 PM
Totally agree SCB,Waterford are a top team alright but there is no way a Division 1 intercounty team of "elite athletes" should allow another team to rack up 2-20 in one half of hurling. You have to ask what do they do when they are training all week. We dont have the ability of Waterford but surely our much vaunted fitness levels (Waterford had only returned from a team holiday 6 weeks ago) and a bit of aggression can go a long way. We have been "learning" from these hammerings for about 20 years without learning anything, if you get my drift......

Somebody, please list what Antrim should have learned from these hammerings over the years that actually could help this group of players? If you think you have the answers then why not jump the fence and get involved in management. You may indeed be the key to Antrims success. Yes a 19 point hammering is embarrassing but what do you do? We are where we are. All Antrim can do is try and bounce back. Dignity in the last two games (inside 10 points) would be a positive IMO.

NAG

I have to say this has been on the cards, there was no new dawn in Antrim hurling because of the Walsh cup win.

I know I sound like a broken record but this is what you tend to get when you are playing with players who are not the best in this county let alone the rest.

S & W have to come out and take responsibility for this defeat, its no good hearing the old we will learn from this clap trap that we have put up for so long. Its time to inject some professionalism to the thing, no way should an inter county team be conceding 2.20 in a half of hurling, its no wonder we came with a few late scores the waterford lads were probably already in the bar when we did so.
Time for a drastic rethink.

theskull1

Again strong words that don't add up to anything tangible.

I agree that many people have been getting ahead of themselves, but don't quite see the need to bitch about the squad that we have. It's not that far away when you consider the people prepared to commit to county hurling.

Minder

Skull i agree with you there is probably nobody else that is a glaring omission, the first 15 are probably the best we have. The issues i have are that we were told at the beginning of last year that we may not be winning All Irelands but we will be competing with the teams down south, well i dont really see that happening and i have a feeling next year if we play Waterford it would be a similar outcome. Sambo & Woody said last year was early in the squads development and we would take a few beatings before we would improve, i dont see any improvement.