Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glensman

Who are the best/better players then NAG?
Aside from Tosh and a a target man ala Gregory O'Kane with Richmond playing off him who else is there?

I think you previously went through a list of players who had retired, weren't interested or were with Dunloy.
In all reailty Richmond and maybe Sheilds will make the team from Dunloy. One further squad member, maybe 1/2 more.

Re Nipper Quinn. He was always a good minor, under 21 and senior player within Antrim. Maybe he wasn't on the scene for a couple of years, that transition is hard. But becasue a player busts his balls over the winter (as they are all doing) and is back in contention that's room to criticise. He was never far away.
At the Wexford game although getting hooked once and maybe blocked once one thing that struck me was that he looked like a corner forward...he came to the ball like a corner forward, he turned like a corner forward. With more practice and game time he could fit in there. Instead of playing Paul Shields there (who does indeed do well, when he's not told to roam in the half back line?!?!) or Karl Stewart there - neither of whom are corner forwards.

NAG

I wasnt criticising Glensman

Merely pointing out facts, he came to the ball and got it like a corner forward and stood up and got hooked and blocked like he always has done since I have seen him hurling from no age.

My problem is that the management got rid of or made not welcome Tosh and the likes and that is my point that that was poor management and that these guys that are there now would not get onto the best three clubs teams.

right or wrong? that to me has always been a better indication of a players standard.

imtommygunn

I'd say Quinn would get on Cushendall or Loughgiel teams. Not so sure about Dunloy.

NAG

He might get on loughgiel team because they are sadly short of quality forwards but I really couldnt seem him making it into the big two's team.

imtommygunn

Cushendall have a very strong defense / midfield bu they're a wee bit short in the forwards. Had they a few better forwards they'd be an unbeatable team. Sure they've 5 of 6 county defenders.

I'd say he would get on the Cushendall team.

theskull1

I'm with Glensman on this one. Came away after the Wexford game thinking that if his decision making was better with ball in hand then he could be a real threat. He does come onto the ball very well and looked lively. It's up to good coaches to bring him on a bit further. If he's prepared to follow good advice then I think he has great potential.

Lets not right off talent too early lads. Theres been plenty of great hurlers who needed a fair few years in senior before their full potential was realized.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Minder

Quote from: groundlie on March 06, 2008, 09:09:07 PM
Quote from: NAG on March 06, 2008, 02:48:35 PM
I wasnt criticising Glensman

Merely pointing out facts, he came to the ball and got it like a corner forward and stood up and got hooked and blocked like he always has done since I have seen him hurling from no age.

My problem is that the management got rid of or made not welcome Tosh and the likes and that is my point that that was poor management and that these guys that are there now would not get onto the best three clubs teams.

right or wrong? that to me has always been a better indication of a players standard.

Fair point, but in all honestly Tosh and Brian McFall were disrupting factors on that panel and that isn't any great secret.

I agree maybe the panel isn't as fancy or as good stick men as there has been in previous years but would you'd rather have 25 players who are going to bond well, work hard and lead the life that is now required to be an inter county hurler? or boys who will knock over a few handy points from loose balls and drink themselves senseless on the Sunday night? (maybe thats a bit harsh as I do understand these guys are amateurs)

The young lads brought in over the past two years are very dedicated hurlers, in hurling and outside hurling. That dedication has rubbed of on the older lads.

Like it or not OUR county is on the up!

Maybe jealously is a factor here!

Well Groundlie interesting first post, well first post under that username anyway. How was Tosh a disruptive factor? I would say if you spoke to last years panel to a man they would tell you this is balls, but then you know this and are just making a bit of mischief. I would say you could probably count on one hand the amount of times Tosh would be pissed in a calendar year. Mc Fall may be a differnet story in that regard but i think his inter county career came to an end because he lost whatever pace he had, a prerequisite for inter county hurling. Maybe you should have lured us in with a few posts before unveiling yourself as a halfwit instead of blowing your load straightaway.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

lads i dont believe for one second that these new players brought in are drink free.

you only have to go to the Bot on a friday/saturday/sunday night and you'll see any amount of county footballers hurlers and duel players on the rip. so groundlie thats a fantasy.

it's national league were we should be concentrating on as we are never going to win the Liam McCarthy cup any year soon, untill we are pushing for the league only then will we be serious about the Championship.

in my opinion they should be peaking for the league and put up a good show in the championship

NAG

Milltown well said I agree whole heartedly.

Glensman, there is no jealousy on my part Im just being a realist and dont like to be spoon fed bullshit.

Tosh was the epitemy of what an intercounty should behave like, he was dedicated to training, drank maybe once twice a year in and out of season and kept himself in superb shape right through the year. I think you should retract your statement about him Groundie.

Now I think you'll find if you viisit a certain establishment in the glens on most weekends you will find half the county panel in there enjoying themselves, which I dont have a problem with at all, but you cant slander boys who were there before them and continue to allow the current squad to do the same things and worse. It seems to me as long as it is happening in this establishment it seems to be excused, maybe its like the twilight zone.

Glensman

First and foremost...take that back NAG...calling me groundlie. Tut tut.

Where and why did we jump onto a discussion about drink?

A considerable amount of both panels are students. Of course they are going to drink...and though it has been talked to death on here and elsewhere there is nothing wrong with having a few pints now and again if its controlled. As far as I am aware there is no drink ban on the hurling team.

As for Tosh I have no clue whether he was a disruptive influence. Certain stories suggested he was, he wasn't easy to deal with but if that's not the truth then so be it. I said that he should be on the panel!
Fact of the matter is he is not on the panel whether by his own choice or by clash of personalities with S&W.

Groundlie - not so sure jealousy is a factor here at all.

I agree Milltown as well about the way forward.

Glensman

On another topic Milltown are you aware how your duel players are going to cope this year?

I haven't actually had an indepth look at the football and hurling fixtures but there will arguably be Div 1 football and Div 2 hurling clashes.

Div 1 football on Wednesday nights and Sundays?
Div 2 hurling on Sundays?
Those are just guesses.

Minder

Quote from: Glensman on March 07, 2008, 11:57:49 AM
First and foremost...take that back NAG...calling me groundlie. Tut tut.

Where and why did we jump onto a discussion about drink?

A considerable amount of both panels are students. Of course they are going to drink...and though it has been talked to death on here and elsewhere there is nothing wrong with having a few pints now and again if its controlled. As far as I am aware there is no drink ban on the hurling team.

As for Tosh I have no clue whether he was a disruptive influence. Certain stories suggested he was, he wasn't easy to deal with but if that's not the truth then so be it. I said that he should be on the panel!
Fact of the matter is he is not on the panel whether by his own choice or by clash of personalities with S&W.

Groundlie - not so sure jealousy is a factor here at all.

I agree Milltown as well about the way forward.

Glensman what "stories" are you referring to? If you dont want to put them on the main board you can PM me, as i have never heard even a whisper that he was a "disruptive influence".......I have never heard of a manager personally calling to a players house who was a "disruptive influence" as he did last year asking him to reconsider when Tosh said he was packing it in after he thought he was being messed about against Laois, i would have thought he was glad to see the back of him, But perhaps you can enlighten us anyway.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Two Hands FFS

McGrath back in for Waterford

Waterfords Ken McGrath
07 March 2008

Ken McGrath will make his first start of the season for Waterford when they take on Antrim in Sunday's NHL Division 1 game.

The Mount Sion man had not featured for the county since last year's All-Ireland semi-final defeat to Limerick and there were serious concerns over his availability this year.

Waterford (NHL v Antrim) - C. Hennessy; E. Murphy, K. Moran, A. Kearney; R. Foley, K. McGrath, J. Kennedy; M. Walsh, S. O'Sullivan; S. Prendergast, D. Shanahan, E. Kelly; S. Walsh, D. Prendergast, S. Casey.

I think the problems S&W had with Tosh would have been his style of play not over him being disruptive.

milltown row

As far as i'm aware all dual players will play this year, the county footballers find it difficult to attend hurling training but on wed night al attended, while not training they give a clear answer that they will be involved.

as for the difficulties of games overlapping i'm not aware of football games and hurling games on at the same time/day this has not really been a problem in the past. when our club reached the all ireland final we also competed in the hurling semi final.

players want games and when there are games they wont be training. new manager in place so there is eagerness by everyone to get involved. looking forward to the year after i've calmed down about the CCC and the way things were done

Glensman

Minder - calm down. I am not engaging in this.
Certain parties were keen to say last year that he was a disruptive influence, that he threw a strop after the treatment he got whether fairly or not...if its not true then so be it and if it looked like I was trying to taint him I wasn't.
Either way he's not on the panel. He would be a good addition but he's not there.

Good to hear it Milltown row and glad there will be no fixtures clashes for you.
Have you fully calmed down yet re the CCC?!

Strong team from Waterford - can we hold them?