Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I would have prefered wexford here but how we played in the second half last saturday I am hoping works in our favour as we know we really need to tighten up. We'll see I guess.

marty34

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 09, 2022, 11:06:13 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 09, 2022, 10:49:33 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 09, 2022, 10:18:13 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 09, 2022, 10:14:08 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2022, 09:37:12 AM
The carey one still a strange one with them being at home and anything I have seen I *thought* they were winning all round them. Ballygalget Dunloy too in Dunloy but I guess Dunloy missing county boys. (no offense JC lol)

big win for us alright, but I'd have thought even without their county players Dunloy would have had enough strength in depth to account for us.

In saying that we are improving, very young team at the minute, well over half the team would be under 22 years of age, the keeper would be by far the oldest, but he's keeping that position warm for his nephew for a few years yet.

Another couple of very handy hurlers coming up through the minor ranks will hopefully bolster the team as we try to get back to being competitive in this league.

Thats great to hear, are yous finding it hard to keep young lads at home, that and shitty part time jobs causing us nightmares

Have yous not a pick of all of Derry city and into Donegal?

Don't see how you should struggle for numbers.

Will Antrim get within 10 points of Cork this week-end?  Tight confines should help.  Not sure what weather conditions will be but game V Kerry should have helped them. 

Cork haven't played competitively in a few weeks.  I wonder will Kingston start Horgan?  He could lose a good few sliotars around the Whiterock Road with his striking, if he starts.

You can only "pick" from people who play the sport. We dont have anyone from Donegal atm unfortunately, wish we had, although we have Derry city players playing in Donegal. We are struggling because there is no hurling in the schools and we are still a relatively young club only now producing 2nd generation hurlers. Soccer and Gaelic football are the main sports and it is not like rural areas where there is not  as much going on to distract lads. Boys arent getting sorted out with jobs to keep them here like happens in other areas. Stuff we discussed on the apathy thread.

I don't buy the numbers thing in a city.

Look at the Dungannon model - big enough area (but not as big population wise as Derry and a heap of football clubs in the same area.  Incidentally a higher level of football than around Derry city.

They have a good senior team and serious numbers at underage.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2022, 12:18:11 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on June 09, 2022, 11:00:32 AM
Horgan will be Horgan on the free's but he's not an out and out ball winner and would trust G Walsh to do a good job from play. My worries would be the likes of Shane Kingston in the corner against our Corner backs. Also cullinane and Harneady have found some form.

lehane would be the main issue. We're up against it here but nothing to lose I guess.

Sorry I meant lehane not cullanane
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: marty34 on June 09, 2022, 12:40:44 PM
The carey one still a strange one with them being at home and anything I have seen I *thought* they were winning all round them. Ballygalget Dunloy too in Dunloy but I guess Dunloy missing county boys. (no offense JC lol)

big win for us alright, but I'd have thought even without their county players Dunloy would have had enough strength in depth to account for us.

In saying that we are improving, very young team at the minute, well over half the team would be under 22 years of age, the keeper would be by far the oldest, but he's keeping that position warm for his nephew for a few years yet.

Another couple of very handy hurlers coming up through the minor ranks will hopefully bolster the team as we try to get back to being competitive in this league.

Thats great to hear, are yous finding it hard to keep young lads at home, that and shitty part time jobs causing us nightmares

Will Antrim get within 10 points of Cork this week-end?  Tight confines should help.  Not sure what weather conditions will be but game V Kerry should have helped them. 

Cork haven't played competitively in a few weeks.  I wonder will Kingston start Horgan?  He could lose a good few sliotars around the Whiterock Road with his striking, if he starts.

You can only "pick" from people who play the sport. We dont have anyone from Donegal atm unfortunately, wish we had, although we have Derry city players playing in Donegal. We are struggling because there is no hurling in the schools and we are still a relatively young club only now producing 2nd generation hurlers. Soccer and Gaelic football are the main sports and it is not like rural areas where there is not  as much going on to distract lads. Boys arent getting sorted out with jobs to keep them here like happens in other areas. Stuff we discussed on the apathy thread.

Look at the Dungannon model - big enough area (but not as big population wise as Derry and a heap of football clubs in the same area.  Incidentally a higher level of football than around Derry city.

So what are you saying the issue is then? id love to hear your thoughts, because after 20 years at this I could do with your input. You are not even comparing apples with apples. You already pointed to one of the the answers -more GAA people in East Tyrone.

We have a good senior team too when at full strength.

Milltown Row2

Was 'at' the Dungannon game last night, Sarsfields were well understrength from what I could see but the Tyrone lads could give everyone in that league a game, they have 32 or 42 (can't remember) in a panel of seniors!! some going, just more difficult to get them all together !
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Yeah as I said, should be winning that division only for county

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 09, 2022, 01:22:31 PM

Was 'at' the Dungannon game last night, Sarsfields were well understrength from what I could see but the Tyrone lads could give everyone in that league a game, they have 32 or 42 (can't remember) in a panel of seniors!! some going, just more difficult to get them all together !

Eoghan Rua had a great wee U14 team the last time the Feile was in Ulster, I think they won Div2 by beating Clonlara from Clare who were staying with us in the final.
Those lads would be early 20's now if they're still at it.

marty34

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 09, 2022, 01:16:37 PM

So what are you saying the issue is then? id love to hear your thoughts, because after 20 years at this I could do with your input. You are not even comparing apples with apples. You already pointed to one of the the answers -more GAA people in East Tyrone.

Just making the comparsion - Dungannon have a smaller population but have worked hatd in a very strong gaelic football area.  That's a fair comment.

How that isn't comparing apples with apples?

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 09, 2022, 01:22:31 PM

Be great to see Dungannon in Div. 1 in Antrim. They should be strong now with the county set up over.  Players be fit to hit the ground running.

Big step up but would be some achievement for them.

imtommygunn

So if you think back did they not get beat on penalties by St Endas when they got into division 1?

You look as well and I don't know exact details - but how many Tyrone players does a club like that have? That surely hits on their ability to get promoted? (Though maybe it is early enough it can be recovered). It is highly unlikely any other lower division team would be as impacted by county player loss.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2022, 04:46:57 PM
So if you think back did they not get beat on penalties by St Endas when they got into division 1?

You look as well and I don't know exact details - but how many Tyrone players does a club like that have? That surely hits on their ability to get promoted? (Though maybe it is early enough it can be recovered). It is highly unlikely any other lower division team would be as impacted by county player loss.

Bredagh have a few and Carryduff have one, Beatty, I think from the Down perspective.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: marty34 on June 09, 2022, 03:40:29 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 09, 2022, 01:16:37 PM

Just making the comparsion - Dungannon have a smaller population but have worked hatd in a very strong gaelic football area.  That's a fair comment.

How that isn't comparing apples with apples?

Not sure what to add. You started out by saying we were basically not doing well with catchment, I gave reasons and asked for ideas and reasons why Dungannon do better(going a lot longer than us also). Leave it at that, its an Antrim thread and I dont want to pollute it although its my favourite thread because its real genuine hurling folk.

Happy to talk about Antrim league(been great for us over years) even though a nightmare travel wise. If you look at scores last night in Div 3 all travelling teams lost by 13-16 points avg.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on June 09, 2022, 04:48:21 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2022, 04:46:57 PM

Bredagh have a few and Carryduff have one, Beatty, I think from the Down perspective.

We have 3 and only starting to come back now-none played last night

Saffrongael

There are still tickets for Saturdays match on Ticketmaster if anyone thought they missed out
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

johnnycool

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 09, 2022, 09:42:50 PM
There are still tickets for Saturdays match on Ticketmaster if anyone thought they missed out

After seeing the picture of the AI series launch without Antrim or Kerry representation I truly hope Antrim and or Kerry get one over on these playoffs.

Disgusting that.