Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

St pats Maghreb seems to have a big catchment area.near the whole county bar the city.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 17, 2021, 09:56:40 PM
St pats Maghreb seems to have a big catchment area.near the whole county bar the city.

Everywhere South of Feeney

North Man

Bus from Park Village now going to Maghera
Starting to hit St Columbs rural catchment

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: North Man on December 17, 2021, 10:41:54 PM
Bus from Park Village now going to Maghera
Starting to hit St Columbs rural catchment

Claudy,craigbane, park , Feeney were always st Columbs for grammar or St Pat's Dungiven or Claudy for secondary.
If there was no border city's natural hinterland in Inishowen but. Them lads going to Maghera now to play sport

St columbs vused to get wile pile Strabane,aughabrack and Dungiven too

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 17, 2021, 09:39:35 PM
A load of portaferry ones, castlewellan have improved too so they have a right few and a few carryduff I think. I am sure there are others but I think portaferry and castlewellan were the main contributors. Jc would know better.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/hurlingandcamogie/2021/12/14/news/red-high-s-date-with-destiny-has-been-decades-in-the-making-2534658/

The picture has the club tops. I wouldn't know a few of the club tops tbh but looks like portaferry, castlewellan, a ballycran one or two, maybe a ballygalget one or two, a carryduff one then a few others.

Half the team would be from Portaferry, we've three on the team and so would the Liatroim/Castlewellan amalgamation that would be very competitive @U17 in Down the last few years. Ballycran had one starter, a smashing wee hurler who's still 5th YR. Red high were greatly assisted this by a few lads going there from St Columba's to do A levels as St Columba's don't do A levels. The lad who got MOTM on friday night would be one of them. He'll be available next year.

As to the game, it reaffirmed my hatred of 130M pitches.. Far too bloody small for anything above U15..

The game was stop, starty with very little actual passages of play, lads taking shots from well in their own half which leads to bunching at both ends of the pitch, both teams hit some terrible wides throughout the night with the Red High probably being the worse of the two.
The decisive goal was a keeping error but under lights with a big lad (Rossa blood in him) flailing at it just in his eyesight can't have been easy for the Maghera keeper.
MR2 may have an opinion on this as he was doing the line but the ref really could have played a bit more of the advantage rule. Colm only really played it when a score was obviously denied or not availed off, he didn't seem to give it when a defender was fouled but had either broken the tackle/foul and got clear or had layed it off to a teammate and right on the blow a maghera midfielder had been clearly fouled by the RH centre back but had managed to feed it off to the maghera centre forward who'd clear ground in front of him 40 metres out, Maghera were needing a goal at this stage but were denied the chance to drive on for it..to compound matters they missed the free.
Small things in all

As for the red high, I think they play the Munster champions in January so best of luck to them on that and for Down hurling in general I think they could be competitive at this level for a while longer and so could Knock if they got their finger out as IMO they should be better equipped than the red high next year and the year after that based on the players they have at their disposal from ourselves and Bredagh in particular.

johnnycool

Oh and best of luck to Ballycran today..

Conor Woods is talking the talk about physicality like I said, but talking don't buy beer as the saying goes. Time to bring it, take your belts and drive on.

Saffsof82

The cub playing for u20 hurlers today at Dunsilly against queens. Good team our u20s, lack a few physically big lads though, why do we have so many small players in Antrim?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffsof82 on December 28, 2021, 10:09:39 PM
The cub playing for u20 hurlers today at Dunsilly against queens. Good team our u20s, lack a few physically big lads though, why do we have so many small players in Antrim?

It's under 20, noticed the difference at minor also, a lot slighter in comparison to under 18/21

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffsof82

Yep agree MR but when you head south teams seem to be filled with monsters of young men

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffsof82 on December 28, 2021, 11:02:37 PM
Yep agree MR but when you head south teams seem to be filled with monsters of young men

That's true also, Ballycastle lads were always big in my memory, St John's always had big lads at juvenile but again we can look at how schools develop players, for example you look at the top Mc Rory cup teams, they are training properlystrength and conditioning, the likes of St Kierans are doing similar stuff, you only have to look at what Methody and Inst do at school cup level. No Belfast schools or north Antrim schools at Magean final this year.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffsof82

St. Louis had Gaelfast coach with them this year doings&c, lads seemed to buy into it well, think it is a pilot scheme

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffsof82 on December 28, 2021, 11:27:37 PM
St. Louis had Gaelfast coach with them this year doings&c, lads seemed to buy into it well, think it is a pilot scheme

The schools rugby teams have been doing that stuff over 20 years, we are well behind that level of conditioning

Saffsof82

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 28, 2021, 11:50:49 PM

The schools rugby teams have been doing that stuff over 20 years, we are well behind that level of conditioning

Absolutely correct, but it at least seems to have registered with someone and being addressed

johnnycool

I wouldn't be holding up some of the stuff that happens at some rugby schools as a benchmark for GAA clubs, schools to follow from some of the horror stories I've heard about kids "encouraged" to take suppliments if they weren't hitting certain targets...
S@C has its place but hurling is a skilled based game with physical collisions, not a collision based game with a bit of skill .

A few summers on the building sites tightened manys a young man

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on December 29, 2021, 06:57:39 PM

I wouldn't be holding up some of the stuff that happens at some rugby schools as a benchmark for GAA clubs, schools to follow from some of the horror stories I've heard about kids "encouraged" to take suppliments if they weren't hitting certain targets...
S@C has its place but hurling is a skilled based game with physical collisions, not a collision based game with a bit of skill .

A few summers on the building sites tightened manys a young man

You tailor the S&C to suit the sport, my use of those schools is about how they professionally approach games and have been doing so for many years.

I wouldn't be saying it's ok to use illegal supplements, but there are plenty protein types supplements that are legal.

The McRory cup teams have a great approach too. The gym at my daughters school was newly built recently, amazing set up, we didn't even have a pitch at my school, never mind weights lol