Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanSouth

Quote from: hardstation on November 22, 2007, 04:54:49 PM
What happened, SeanSouth?
Pm me if you want to fly below the mods' radar.

PM Hardstation

Shamrock

Balboa RIP!!!!!

Those Waterfoot men dont know to keep it shut ;D ;D

theskull1

I thought he should have got a warning or a 5 day ban, has he been banned for good?. He's been fairly tame of late, but I suppose it was a very personal attack, so  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG

Any more word on the attendances at county training here it has been p*ss poor so far?

Think this could be the year the bubbles bursts just dont think we are bringing the right sort of players through with the right attitude, we have a serious amount of pre-madonna's now in there, could be a contest to see who has the ego or opinion of themselves!

Im not knocking them before they start but Im yet to see any evidence that S&W are having a positve influence on the county set up and by some of their panel selections this year think its going to be a while before they do!

ogruairi

I know the attendances at training this year are an average of 15 per training, with 5 - 7 usually turning up to see the physio. so that's usually 22 players per session. That isn't too bad for this time of year. When you add the few that have too many work commitments, dunloy players and St Galls players, you have a full panel. The lads have been training for about 6 weeks now and the results are really beginning to show on the guys that have been turning up. They are already starting to look stronger and bigger, which will especially help out the young lads. This is a new type of training for everyone and it has really raised the bar. Tommy Steveson is the trainer, and by all accounts he already has the full respect of the players. He is pushing the guys to new levels. hopefully they will be able to show this on the field.

NAG

Have we all missed something ogruairi?

I think that is a very rose tinted view of what is going on.
Is this trainer doing anything new that hasnt been done in the past number of years?

In my opinion he could be training the with the best intentions in the world but if they dont have the players then I honestly think they will struggle. Some of the panel memebers having watched nearly every championship match wouldnt get on either the cushendall or dunloy sides so what are they doing at the county?

Think the honeymoon is over and I will interested to see how we progress or IF.

theskull1

What is the full panel btw? I can't remember seeing it.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ogruairi

Not sure of the Full panel Skull, but believe me this new trainer is doing something that hasn't ever been done in Antrim. He is using Ploymetrics, Aerobics, core training, stability ball training, punch bags, tackle bags, to name a few training techniques. All these training methods are being combined to create a tougher, stronger, faster, fitter Antrim team than anyother that has ever went across the border.

NAG

ogruairi

All of these techniques have been used on the past. Paul Murphy did all these training methods with the county guys before as well as a strict weights programme and was one of the first in Ireland to be using the SAQ method.

If you tell me that this current squad is as good as that squad then there is something wrong.

I hope he is doing a good job from what i hear he is being well paid for it but dont try and tell us he is doing anything new or revolutionary.

Skull - N.McAuley, M.Magill, S.Burke. C.McKinley? do I have to proceed?

maxpower

NAG
Quote from: NAG on November 23, 2007, 11:14:22 AM

Skull - N.McAuley, M.Magill, S.Burke. C.McKinley? do I have to proceed?

You'll not convince me the panel isn't strong by naming these four players, Neil McAuley (Ballycastle) is a terrific player, C McKinley is on the u21 panel not the seniors
What happens next????

NAG

Max

OK go ahead an name me our go ahead players for this year then, players that are bursting on to the scene and going to make a big difference to our team?

SeanSouth

How many chances has Michael Magill had?

NAG

IMO one was too many.

The footballers chased him for indiscipline and the hurlers take him on board where is the logic in that.

maxpower

I'm not saying that their is anyone going to burst onto the scene and make an huge impact, just that the four names you mentioned probaly don't deserve singled out as examples as all four are decent players and young mc kinley is training as an u21.

i think S&W are pinning alot of hope on the young players they brought through as minors, and good luck to them.  As a side issue, i've loosely picked a team of players who its expected will have no involvement with the county side, to me it looks a team as good as the actual team and if Ciaran Herron has retired as has been remoured then it certainly would stand to comparison

DD Quinn, Barney, Odhran Scullion , Ding Gillan, Mal Molloy, Kevin Elliott, Damien McMullan, Martin Scullion, Aiden Delargy, Liam Richmond, Malachy Dallas, Johnny Tosh, Ally Elliott, Dick O'Kane, Brian McFall

Certainly think Sambo and Woody would love if he had players of the calibre of O'Kane and Elliott coming through again
What happens next????

NAG

Max

I wasnt singling these players out as being particularly bad players I know they are young and to be honest I made a mistake with N/McAuley (whom i think is a smasher) I meant the full back from loughgiel drafted on this year. I have to say that it is ok pinning their hopes on these young players but in my opinion they are not capable of delivering what we expect from out county standard players, which is not to be bullied physically by the teams down south and to be able to stand up to certain challenges in a game as well as being able to hurl when on the ball. This was the type of thing that we had under Dinny when there a was a good blend of experience and youth.

Are we honestly any further on this year than we were last or are we infact going backwards?