Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG

Yeah its a hard one to figure. But we have to start somewhere, we have to get to a situation were the leagues actually matte and that is the only way that we will avoid them becoming a farce.

Think there are too many big ego's floating around the Dall at the moment. Ego's that have been created by one seasons hurling last year. This is one thing that always seems to happen down there for some reason they get ahead of themselves and think they are way better than they are too early.

Maybe this years championship getting away from them will have done them some good but I dont think it has when they havent turned up for this fixture at the weekend.

Ruairi Og exile

It was a disgrace that we couldnt get a team. We'll get a £300 fine & we'll accept. It wasn't arrogance on Cushendall's behalf they couldnt get a team it was the players who said they show that didnt turn up. Our managers were at the reserve match on Saturday & players told them they would show. Some players were injured & genuinely couldnt make it but like Give it Timber said...some players turned off their phone & didnt show....& the worst thing was it wasnt even a suprise as some of the boys heads are up their own arse!!

ogruairi

Totally agree with Exile. Some our boys have their heads up their own arse's and some other peoples too. they have listened to too many people telling them how good they are, when they haven't been. Some of our young players are way above their station and I don't envy the next cushendall manager. Some of them really believe they can do what they want, and this really has to stop. They can't just decide when they want to hurl. Thats why we were beaten by Dunloy - most of the team thought they could just turn it on on the day, this can't be done unless the work has been put in before hand. I think alot of lads need to be brought back down to earth. Its a really pity as one of them has the potential to be one of the best Hurlers about (Antrim, Ulster and Ireland), he has everything but this year he seems to have taken on a very high impression of himself, that he is above everyone else both on the field and off the field. And he looks like he could very easily throw it all away by listening to the wrong people and hanging around with the wrong groups. For a while most people thought the sun came out of his arse but now people in Cushedall and Antrim are begining to see the really truth about this player.

theskull1

Quote from: Ruairi Og exile on October 22, 2007, 12:24:18 PM
It was a disgrace that we couldnt get a team. We'll get a £300 fine & we'll accept. It wasn't arrogance on Cushendall's behalf they couldnt get a team it was the players who said they show that didnt turn up. Our managers were at the reserve match on Saturday & players told them they would show. Some players were injured & genuinely couldnt make it but like Give it Timber said...some players turned off their phone & didnt show....& the worst thing was it wasnt even a suprise as some of the boys heads are up their own arse!!

A contradiction me thinks  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Ruairi Og exile

Skull....What I meant was that Cushendall Hurling Club were quite prepared to play the match & had no problems doing so it was our younger players....not just on the team but also on the subs bench(minors as well) who just dont give a f**k about anyone else. Its unfair on the rest of the team who train hard during the season & were available for the match yesterday

There wont be many names going forward for manager next year...god help them. The Honeymoon period is over for a few boys

podge

Quote from: Balboa on October 22, 2007, 12:12:25 PM
Championship based on previous leagues performance would be a bit unfair because we are playing games in October/November when teams have not been training for the past 7/8 weeks.

For the record Rocky, I wouldn;t suggest that we do this next year as I agree it would be totally unfair.

I am a very strong believer in the proposition that changes to any leagues/championships should be made and agreed one year in advance so that everyone knows where they stand and what they are aiming for at the start of the season. set the goalposts at the start of the year and don;t move them.

No excuses then if you have to play in october for crucial points, as long as you know where you stand

This circus where leagues change every year and teams get relegated when they thought they were safe is damaging to potentially progressive clubs.

I recall , following winning a league, playing a promotion/relgation play off in december some years ago.  Winner went to or stayed in the higher division.  We won.  3 weeks later at county convention the leagues were restructured and we were back where we started.

This year, there will almost certainly be proposals from the county CCC and perhaps some clubs to change the hurling leagues. We might have 4 divisions next year. So a team who thinks they are safe (perhaps Rocky's own team) might find themselves in a second Division.  No real Waterfoot fan but plain and simple, that is not fair.

Mind you, the clubs are to blame for this, it is they who vote for change every feckin year.

milltown row

The fact that Cushendall asked for the game to be changed so they could watch the Dunloy game is what annoys me the most. We changed the time and they didn't bother turning up. Phoned our manager at 12 to try and rearrange but when? Our footballers are still playing league games and preparing for Ulster football. It's not as if we have 2/3 players on both teams. Ten players are on both starting teams. I'm just annoyed at not getting another game. They forced me into the club earlier than I wanted.

There may be changes this year two possibly three teams could drop. Should Glenarm still go up? Division one is tough and the gap is big between the top teams like Portaferry, Loughgiel, Dunloy and Cushendall. Then you have the other teams that have been taking points of themselves for years, and the team that comes up usually goes down.

We have sustained our div 1 status by targeting games that we should win. Usually three/four games is enough. Then try and rattle the big teams at home.

if the leagues changed, and they meant more then a lot more effort would be needed to stay up, as all points would be important

Balboa

We have 10 pts and should beat Lamh Dhearg too so relegation should not be an issue,Milltown have you any idea are Glenarm going up and Sarsfields down? I have heard that Glenarm are coming up and also that they are not, personally i think they would be mad to come up, some of the beatings they would get would not help them. We are similar to St Galls, target everyone outside Dall/Dunloy & Loughguile and if we can get points off them they are a bonus.

slow corner back

Quote from: Balboa on October 22, 2007, 03:44:40 PM
We have 10 pts and should beat Lamh Dhearg too so relegation should not be an issue,Milltown have you any idea are Glenarm going up and Sarsfields down? I have heard that Glenarm are coming up and also that they are not, personally i think they would be mad to come up, some of the beatings they would get would not help them. We are similar to St Galls, target everyone outside Dall/Dunloy & Loughguile and if we can get points off them they are a bonus.

While you may well be right about Glenarm Rocky but they have a young enough side and won Div2 so if they fancy a crack at Div1 they should be allowed. In recent years yourselves, St Galls and Cushendun who would have been traditional Div2/ intermediate sides have gone up into Div1 and managed to survive, fair play to those involved. I know Cushendun are back in Div 2 now but they had a long enough run and got to a county final for the first time in decades which should count for something. Small clubs tend to operate in cycles and if Glenarm feel they are in an upward cycle then they should try to advance themselves.

Balboa

Quote from: slow corner back on October 22, 2007, 04:48:39 PM
Quote from: Balboa on October 22, 2007, 03:44:40 PM

While you may well be right about Glenarm Rocky but they have a young enough side and won Div2 so if they fancy a crack at Div1 they should be allowed. In recent years yourselves, St Galls and Cushendun who would have been traditional Div2/ intermediate sides have gone up into Div1 and managed to survive, fair play to those involved. I know Cushendun are back in Div 2 now but they had a long enough run and got to a county final for the first time in decades which should count for something. Small clubs tend to operate in cycles and if Glenarm feel they are in an upward cycle then they should try to advance themselves.

I am not saying they dont deserve to come up, i just think every time in Division 2 was trying to win the Intermediate Championship this year and the fact that Glenarm were not able to alarms me if they are intending to come up. When we entered Division 1 about 5 years ago we had quite a number of strong underage players on the verge of coming through who are all starting now, Paul & Randall Mc Donnell, Seamus Doherty, Conor Mc Allister, Alex Mc Donnell, the same could be said of St Galls, I dont see that level of players in Glenarm. When we came up we had the benefit of no teams being relegated in our first year, Glenarm will not have that luxury.

podge

There is no doubt that Glenarm deserve the chance to go up but I reckon they will think long and hard before doing so.  IMHO they just don;t have the firepower to make it a worthwhile venture.  They are slightly better than Sarsfields who went up last year but thats about it..

Balboa

I havent seen them play but they didnt seem to be hammering teams and Cushendun beat them fairly easily in Intermediate Semi Final which does not bode well for them.

Antrim Coaster

Sure Glenarm will probably go all out to ensure they stay in Division 1 next year by poaching players from neighbouring clubs.

Balboa

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on October 23, 2007, 09:34:08 AM
Sure Glenarm will probably go all out to ensure they stay in Division 1 next year by poaching players from neighbouring clubs.

Who would they be poaching from??? Larne ?

Balboa

I have a feeling the trips to Feystown to play Glenarm will not be the spectacle they used to be 10 years ago, lets just say they had a few chaps that thought a hurl was a weapon first and a piece of sporting equipment second  :o