Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG

Have to say this is a competition that has been dying on its feet for years, even when the players were getting a free trip around the world to play the final there was still no appetite to play in from the players.

It should be looked at and maybe scrapped from the calendar for a few years and see if it is genuinely missed. Im not sure about Woodys approach I can see what he is trying to do with it but these guys are going to be so out of their depth its unreal.

If we dont take it seriously and get the best players to turn out then it devalues the whole competition IMO.

Glensman

County Hurler of the year should have been Karl McK or Neil McManus...best performers for Antrim.

Any place you can find out all the winners from last night?

Glensman

Just checked Antrim Website...they are on there.

Balboa

Quote from: Glensman on October 19, 2007, 02:47:21 PM
County Hurler of the year should have been Karl McK or Neil McManus...best performers for Antrim.

Any place you can find out all the winners from last night?

I dont think either of them were consistent enough, in fairness i dont know who was.Midfield was destroyed against Clare in the qualifiers. Who voted for the Senior County Award?

milltown row

clubs did not pick the county hurler award, must have been S&W

milltown row

Cushendall failed the field yesterday, arranged the game for 1 and didn't show. claimed they only had 12 players available for the game. are the rumours true. all our footballers where going to play as well.

at the dunloy game my mate said there was enough Cushendall men at the match to have played us

Balboa

Quote from: milltown row on October 22, 2007, 08:41:30 AM
Cushendall failed the field yesterday, arranged the game for 1 and didn't show. claimed they only had 12 players available for the game. are the rumours true. all our footballers where going to play as well.

at the dunloy game my mate said there was enough Cushendall men at the match to have played us

Do youse get the points Milltown? We beat Rossa 2-17 to 0-10 at Rossa yesterday.

Give-it-Timber

was told by a very good source milltown that they only could muster up 12 men.

they rung round but couldnt get anymore, guys had phones turned off. N McManus who could go to play for Ulster the day before couldnt get out of his bed to play for his club. although he wasnt the only one, cant remember who else he said didnt turn up. bad attitude seems to be running through that team, doesnt bode well for the future.

Balboa

Aye Give It Timber but there would have been no bags or tracksuits handed out yesterday though against St Galls.  ;)

milltown row

good result Balboa, thats two years in a row you have beaten them, though this year they have been poor. i'd say rocky was away home, and if it was an early start then they would have been missing some due to the beer

theskull1

That is bad form .... its not ideal playing league games at this time of year I know but a bit of social hurling at this time of year when the fixture has been arranged does no harm. That is showing total disrespect to hurling by not fielding yesterday. Did they forget that in the previous two years that everyone else was playing these games out. Remember Dunloy had a great oul tussle with St Galls last year in November....nothing to play for (oh bar the league ...the draw cost us  >:() but both teams really enjoyed the match. Do Cushendall feel they are above hurling "meaningless" matches these days?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Balboa

Quote from: milltown row on October 22, 2007, 09:47:01 AM
good result Balboa, thats two years in a row you have beaten them, though this year they have been poor. i'd say rocky was away home, and if it was an early start then they would have been missing some due to the beer

I wouldnt know their younger players but i couldnt see too many missing, Rocky wasnt playing though & Kettle didnt start but came on.There was only 3 in it at ht but in fairness they were brutal even though we played surprisingly well for the time of year & the fact that most of our boys were on the beer. Our team is reasonably young so they can get away with boozing but alas i cant  :( I asked a Rossa player is Aidan Hamill still taking them and he said "well he isnt dead yet"  :D

Give-it-Timber

Quote from: theskull1 on October 22, 2007, 09:51:19 AM

That is bad form .... its not ideal playing league games at this time of year I know but a bit of social hurling at this time of year when the fixture has been arranged does no harm. That is showing total disrespect to hurling by not fielding yesterday. Did they forget that in the previous two years that everyone else was playing these games out. Remember Dunloy had a great oul tussle with St Galls last year in November....nothing to play for (oh bar the league ...the draw cost us  >:() but both teams really enjoyed the match. Do Cushendall feel they are above hurling "meaningless" matches these days?

dont think its Cushendall skull, just a select few guys who have been listening to Balboas friend for too long.  ;)

dont think the fact that no reserve hurlers made themselves available due to playing their reserve semi on saturday night helped.

podge

[/quote]

Spot on skull.  This is typical C'dall arrogance and a total lack of respect for the game.  I hope they are slapped with a fine for not fielding although that probably won;t mean much to them.

i think the mini-league in the championship prelims has taken awy from an already poor league.  time to get back to the old knock out with perhaps seeding for chmpionship based on your performance in the previous years league.

Balboa

Championship based on previous leagues performance would be a bit unfair because we are playing games in October/November when teams have not been training for the past 7/8 weeks.