Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old timers

Quote from: Jesusjones on August 27, 2017, 09:02:00 AM
Ballycastle should do everything they can to work with Saul McCaughan. He is an outrageous talent. Loughgiel could have cast Liam Watson aside on a number of occasions for his attitude and lack of commitment but they didn't. They put the arm round him, looked after him and he paid them back 10 fold. There'd be no 4 in a row and no 2nd All Ireland without him.

Your comments are well and good and in theory it is a great idea and would be great for the Town, if it worked, but history shows with many that these exceptionally talented kids or young men bring their own issues.   We have all come across someone in our playing careers that could have been up their with the best with their ability but their own "attitudes" let them down.  If you reach your teenage years and it is still "all about you" then I would say your wasting your time trying to change them no matter how good they are.  In my own experiences a club is better putting time and effort into the players who maybe have less ability but have a good attitude and want to play for the jersey.  IMO

Jesusjones

Quote from: old timers on August 27, 2017, 12:21:52 PM
Quote from: Jesusjones on August 27, 2017, 09:02:00 AM
Ballycastle should do everything they can to work with Saul McCaughan. He is an outrageous talent. Loughgiel could have cast Liam Watson aside on a number of occasions for his attitude and lack of commitment but they didn't. They put the arm round him, looked after him and he paid them back 10 fold. There'd be no 4 in a row and no 2nd All Ireland without him.

Your comments are well and good and in theory it is a great idea and would be great for the Town, if it worked, but history shows with many that these exceptionally talented kids or young men bring their own issues.   We have all come across someone in our playing careers that could have been up their with the best with their ability but their own "attitudes" let them down.  If you reach your teenage years and it is still "all about you" then I would say your wasting your time trying to change them no matter how good they are.  In my own experiences a club is better putting time and effort into the players who maybe have less ability but have a good attitude and want to play for the jersey.  IMO

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that then. Whatever chance Ballycastle have of progress they've none without him. He is Ballycastle's stand out player in this generation. Yes he might be a tougher nut to crack than most be an authoritarian attitude with that sort of player never works. It took Jim Nelson to work out the Watson conundrum, Ballycastle just need to find the right man for the job. At the end of the day the lad wanted to play soccer and from all accounts he is passionate about his soccer as well, he wasn't asking to go and sniff coke or drink bottles of whiskey. He just wanted to go and play another sport.

THINGSTHATNEEDSAID

Quote from: BlacknAmber on August 27, 2017, 07:26:49 AM
Quote from: THINGSTHATNEEDSAID on August 26, 2017, 10:29:49 PM
skinny has more good games than bad. but that was a very bad one. Town simply wallpapering over major cracks. we're still a disgrace!! in two weeks time will NMA get his mate the road like the managers before him?  or is all good because he can run the show the way he wants to?  Club mustn't have came up with the few shillings for the money man from the states.  little temperamental toe rag!!!!!    BRING BACK HUMPY!!!!

Ok ok ok....we get it, you're wholly disgruntled with the management/committee situation in the town at present but really.....is slabbering on here helping the cause? Let's get real on a few things:

1.  If you want to continue bullying a 21yr old lad who oozes talent and has more hurling skill in his pinky fingernail than you probably have in your whole body then man up and go have a conversation with the chap. No one is arguing that Sauls commitment isn't what we'd like it to be but he's young and influential and bullying him on here sure as hell ain't going to encourage him in the right direction!

2.  'BRING BACK HUMPY'.....go and check your temperature, think you've got a fever and it's making you dilusional! What has he ever achieved as a manager....nothing. There's no track record there, he walked out on us (prior to being sacked) for a paid coaching/management role so don't go on about the money money money, (wee song there!)....when you talk of people who shouldn't be allowed back add Humpy to your list. And go a step further add yourself to the list. Your 'support' is neither wanted nor needed in our club.

Apologies to everyone on this forum, every club has a clown and it seems this ejit is ours *head in hands* :-(
listen here sonny boy.  i've done more for our club than you'll no. so dont be pissing down my leg and telling me it's raining!! anything i've said is 100% bang on the money.  if you don't like it don't read it. Sauls a lost cause,we're a lost cause, and you haven't a clue if you think different!! How can a coach achieve a 'track record' if he's not let try do his job?  he was stabbed in the back by our players. we haven't one man on the team that could have went and put an issue across to him. all cowards!! rather just backstab him and be done.  he done more for our club than the entire squad put together.wouldnt be hard mind you!!  Saul has never finished anything in his life. he'll eventually walk away from ballycastle soccer for some other team like always. self centered child who needs to grow up

BlacknAmber

Quote from: THINGSTHATNEEDSAID on August 27, 2017, 02:54:38 PM
Quote from: BlacknAmber on August 27, 2017, 07:26:49 AM
Quote from: THINGSTHATNEEDSAID on August 26, 2017, 10:29:49 PM
skinny has more good games than bad. but that was a very bad one. Town simply wallpapering over major cracks. we're still a disgrace!! in two weeks time will NMA get his mate the road like the managers before him?  or is all good because he can run the show the way he wants to?  Club mustn't have came up with the few shillings for the money man from the states.  little temperamental toe rag!!!!!    BRING BACK HUMPY!!!!

Ok ok ok....we get it, you're wholly disgruntled with the management/committee situation in the town at present but really.....is slabbering on here helping the cause? Let's get real on a few things:

1.  If you want to continue bullying a 21yr old lad who oozes talent and has more hurling skill in his pinky fingernail than you probably have in your whole body then man up and go have a conversation with the chap. No one is arguing that Sauls commitment isn't what we'd like it to be but he's young and influential and bullying him on here sure as hell ain't going to encourage him in the right direction!

2.  'BRING BACK HUMPY'.....go and check your temperature, think you've got a fever and it's making you dilusional! What has he ever achieved as a manager....nothing. There's no track record there, he walked out on us (prior to being sacked) for a paid coaching/management role so don't go on about the money money money, (wee song there!)....when you talk of people who shouldn't be allowed back add Humpy to your list. And go a step further add yourself to the list. Your 'support' is neither wanted nor needed in our club.

Apologies to everyone on this forum, every club has a clown and it seems this ejit is ours *head in hands* :-(
listen here sonny boy.  i've done more for our club than you'll no. so dont be pissing down my leg and telling me it's raining!! anything i've said is 100% bang on the money.  if you don't like it don't read it. Sauls a lost cause,we're a lost cause, and you haven't a clue if you think different!! How can a coach achieve a 'track record' if he's not let try do his job?  he was stabbed in the back by our players. we haven't one man on the team that could have went and put an issue across to him. all cowards!! rather just backstab him and be done.  he done more for our club than the entire squad put together.wouldnt be hard mind you!!  Saul has never finished anything in his life. he'll eventually walk away from ballycastle soccer for some other team like always. self centered child who needs to grow up

Ffs get over it....how many years ago are you talking! Respect is a two-way thing, and it's earned not wrapped up as a gift along with an all star award. If Humpy hadn't been guilty of loose talk in pubs about players etc then he might of got some respect but he didn't.

I've no doubt you'll be the first man in the queue to say 'I told you so' if Saul walks away from whatever....I just pray he proves you wrong! 🤞🏼

THINGSTHATNEEDSAID

here fella. id use the prayers for something other than proving me wrong  ::)

BlacknAmber

Quote from: THINGSTHATNEEDSAID on August 27, 2017, 03:26:13 PM
here fella. id use the prayers for something other than proving me wrong  ::)

😂 Go and have a pint at the fair 🍺

Jesusjones

Ruairi Og 6-26 Cloughmills 1-10. 3 utter mismatches in 4 games in the senior championship so far this year.

NAG1

Quote from: old timers on August 26, 2017, 11:20:22 PM
HS and JJ your right. Great catching by Connolly and a few others on that Rossa team. Especially two of their backs.  Great to watch but Unless things have changed It's the distribution after the catch that matters but sure you could debate that all day. And the age old debate of people going to America which is becoming more of an issue, it is brilliantthat they do well across the pond or wherever but sure it doesn't do their respective teams any good when they are away but that's nothing new with Antrim hurling clubs

Brilliant for who?

JC is an inter county hurler and three times in the second half had ball in hand inside the 45 yard line and put the ball wide on the same side.

Rossa had enough chances to win the game but couldn't get the execution right when it came down to it.

Tough on them but if they learn and get some commitment from the players they could push on.

hurlingstick

Paid into intermediate and Senior games today which I'm happy to do. Going in to Cushendal the gate man laughed and joked with 5 individuals in front of me then let them in free. I was next and asked him was I getting in free too? He tried to bullshit me but I was having none of it. Give him a serious mouthful. I hate handing them my cash with no receipt or accountability. Absolute crook!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on August 27, 2017, 08:16:47 PM
HS and JJ your right. Great catching by Connolly and a few others on that Rossa team. Especially two of their backs.  Great to watch but Unless things have changed It's the distribution after the catch that matters but sure you could debate that all day. And the age old debate of people going to America which is becoming more of an issue, it is brilliantthat they do well across the pond or wherever but sure it doesn't do their respective teams any good when they are away but that's nothing new with Antrim hurling clubs

Brilliant for who?

JC is an inter county hurler and three times in the second half had ball in hand inside the 45 yard line and put the ball wide on the same side.

Rossa had enough chances to win the game but couldn't get the execution right when it came down to it.

Tough on them but if they learn and get some commitment from the players they could push on.
Commitment like the Castle lads have?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Anyone at st johns dunloy? I know dunloy won but haven't even seen the score?

hurlingstick

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 27, 2017, 09:51:43 PM
Anyone at st johns dunloy? I know dunloy won but haven't even seen the score?

I was well impressed with Dunloy. They are strong from 1 to 15. They clocked up a big score (2.25 or something like that). They'll beat Ballycastle with plenty to spare. They could be very close this year.

imtommygunn

I would say only a matter of time until they are a force again. Might be sooner than we think.

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 27, 2017, 09:49:50 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on August 27, 2017, 08:16:47 PM

Brilliant for who?

Commitment like the Castle lads have?

No proper commitment or they will still be beat by the likes of a Ballycastle with very little.

hurlingstick

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 27, 2017, 09:56:21 PM
I would say only a matter of time until they are a force again. Might be sooner than we think.

Definitely. Can't deny them it as they put the work in. They've good coaches throughout the club. Could they win it this year?

I think it's possible.