Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciaran1988

Will Liam Watson be Hurling for Loughgiel in the championship or will he still be away in England

MoChara

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 25, 2017, 02:56:52 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on July 25, 2017, 01:41:17 PM
What's the story here lads?

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=273539

I'd have thought the Celtic Challenge team would still be functional to fulfill the fixture or as there too many off on holidays?

I just read it there
Sheedy was very impressed with the Antrim Celtic challenge team so maybe something sprung from there
It's hard to determine if he is the manager or just helping out
I wouldn't have thought it was money oriented as he has a big job in Dublin
He would be better to help out with the u21 squads down to minor
Don't think the senior quality is there at the minute compared to when the likes of dinny Cahal first came

He tweeted this yesterday, so I don't think hes going to be doing much more than running an eye over it all from time to time. Good that the management are open to suggestion.

Liam Sheedy‏ @LiamLsheedy  21h21 hours ago
More
Replying to @HurlingHotspot
My involvement is well overstated unfortunately.. more like once a month. Sambo is a savage Antrim hurling man. Happy 2 help#PASSION4HURLING

https://twitter.com/LiamLsheedy/status/889804788145283073

NAG1

Quote from: MoChara on July 26, 2017, 09:33:59 AM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 25, 2017, 02:56:52 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on July 25, 2017, 01:41:17 PM
What's the story here lads?

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=273539

I'd have thought the Celtic Challenge team would still be functional to fulfill the fixture or as there too many off on holidays?

I just read it there
Sheedy was very impressed with the Antrim Celtic challenge team so maybe something sprung from there
It's hard to determine if he is the manager or just helping out
I wouldn't have thought it was money oriented as he has a big job in Dublin
He would be better to help out with the u21 squads down to minor
Don't think the senior quality is there at the minute compared to when the likes of dinny Cahal first came

He tweeted this yesterday, so I don't think hes going to be doing much more than running an eye over it all from time to time. Good that the management are open to suggestion.

Liam Sheedy‏ @LiamLsheedy  21h21 hours ago
More
Replying to @HurlingHotspot
My involvement is well overstated unfortunately.. more like once a month. Sambo is a savage Antrim hurling man. Happy 2 help#PASSION4HURLING

https://twitter.com/LiamLsheedy/status/889804788145283073

Christ if that is what it is based on  ???

theskull1

How much progress is achievable at senior intercounty level when there hasn't been even one minor squad in the last 10 years that were capable of competing at a high level?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Usain

Quote from: theskull1 on July 26, 2017, 10:02:25 AM
How much progress is achievable at senior intercounty level when there hasn't been even one minor squad in the last 10 years that were capable of competing at a high level?

An excellent point and one which everyone should bear in mind. People who say we have the players to compete at the top level are deluded. Club all Ireland success does not equal inter county success.

I can't think of too many hurlers in Antrim who would make the Tipp/Galway/Cork/Waterford squads. Simply not good enough. Its not nice to hear but there's no harm in saying it. We need to focus on making the underage structures better and grow the talent there. Liam sheedy, Brian Cody and Davy Fitz together wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to our current pool of players.

clootfromthe21

This

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Usain on July 26, 2017, 10:12:22 AM

An excellent point and one which everyone should bear in mind. People who say we have the players to compete at the top level are deluded. Club all Ireland success does not equal inter county success.

I can't think of too many hurlers in Antrim who would make the Tipp/Galway/Cork/Waterford squads. Simply not good enough. Its not nice to hear but there's no harm in saying it. We need to focus on making the underage structures better and grow the talent there. Liam sheedy, Brian Cody and Davy Fitz together wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to our current pool of players.

And this

Na Glinntí Glasa

Probably the best question asked on here in a long time.
hurl like f**k boi!

JimStynes

Why are Antrim not good enough in both football and hurling? Does anyone actually know? Massive population but they've been shite in both codes for years and years. Is it the county board? Schools? Clubs? Gaelic games culture? or is it everything?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: JimStynes on July 26, 2017, 02:15:07 PM
Why are Antrim not good enough in both football and hurling? Does anyone actually know? Massive population but they've been shite in both codes for years and years. Is it the county board? Schools? Clubs? Gaelic games culture? or is it everything?

Fish Suppers and Ulster Scots genes

theskull1

I 'think' we lack passion for the game in the right numbers. A passionate Antrim hurling man is as passionate as any hurling man from the strong counties, but we lack (I believe) the right numbers across the parental population with the crazy desire needed to encourage their kids to go at the game in the right way. I think that results in a fall off in the effort applied by a fair number of kids as they move through U16 and U18 rather than push on. Variability in coaching standards across the county (as I'm sure in alot of counties) is a thing but I believe that has a symbiotic relationship with the apathy in population that I've mentioned.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Usain

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 26, 2017, 02:38:37 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on July 26, 2017, 02:15:07 PM

Fish Suppers and Ulster Scots genes

Haha! You might have finally cracked it there lad!

Sleeping giant

Haven't been on in a long time.  Someone asked the question already and I didn't see an answer.  Does anyone know why the U17 team gave dublin a walkover in semi final?  Id have thought that was a savage young team going by Celtic Challenge results.   Anyone shed any light on this for me?
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Na Glinntí Glasa

hes back

naw theres been no answer to that, very disappointed when you consider how well they did this season.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on July 27, 2017, 08:12:53 AM
hes back

naw theres been no answer to that, very disappointed when you consider how well they did this season.

I see a Down lad on Hoganstand (if he is who I suspect, then he would know) suggesting that the Ulster Council decided in their infinite wisdom not to run off an Ulster U17 championship and went with who was top of the Celtic Challenge qualifier section run off back in March. Antrim topped that so were defacto the Ulster U17 championship representatives.
Whether they actually knew that or not is another matter as it seems the Down secretary didn't know about it either even though the Down delegate to the Ulster Council voted for it....

Ulster Council are shambolic in their approach to hurling.