Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Antrim have failed to win at 2 times of asking.

They are Christy Ring level at the minute. Derry Versus Antrim next year will be a good game if Collie McGurk gets another year at it.

But no doubt the begrudgers in Derry will work against him.

Franko

Think Derry could be a couple of years away from consistently challenging Antrim/Carlow etc - but if they keep that squad together, it's there for the taking.  As for the begrudgers, you're dead right.  One look at the Derry thread will show you the sort of wankbags floating about Derry at the minute.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: stevecw on June 12, 2017, 01:07:40 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2017, 11:09:42 PM
How many players on that Carlow team are from Carlow?

All of them are from Carlow. We don't and never have done a Kildare and brought in outsiders.

Fair play
Have many played under DJ for That successful Carlow IT team
I heard they have been playing some good challenge matches leading up to the final as well
Well done to all involved, no questioning who the better team was
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

paddyjohn

Quote from: Franko on June 12, 2017, 05:04:28 PM
Think Derry could be a couple of years away from consistently challenging Antrim/Carlow etc - but if they keep that squad together, it's there for the taking.  As for the begrudgers, you're dead right.  One look at the Derry thread will show you the sort of wankbags floating about Derry at the minute.

It's terrible some of the shit that's being posted. Makes you realise why nobody likes them lol

imtommygunn

Irrespective of saturday management have got everyone pulling together and are doing a good job. We're not a premier league football club and have had enough churn anyway.

There was a big difference in standard of the two games saturday so derry have a bit to go yet but with these proposals i don't think antrim will be in the ring though it is our level at present.

stevecw

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on June 12, 2017, 05:15:16 PM

All of them are from Carlow. We don't and never have done a Kildare and brought in outsiders.

Fair play
I heard they have been playing some good challenge matches leading up to the final as well

Just 2 of the team were part of DJ's IT Carlow side. James Doyle who got 4 of the goals on Saturday and Marty Kavanagh who got the other 1. Playing at that high of a level in Fitzgibbon Cup has brought these lads on a lot.

Thanks, we were obviously by far the better side on Saturday after a very even 1st 20 minutes. But I think some posters on here are being very harsh on Antrim.
After all Antrim only lost 1 of the 4 games v Carlow this year, and got promotion to 1B. That's not a bad season at all. Definitely a much improved side compared to last year and will only get better playing in 1B next year.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: stevecw on June 13, 2017, 05:00:37 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on June 12, 2017, 05:15:16 PM

Fair play

Just 2 of the team were part of DJ's IT Carlow side. James Doyle who got 4 of the goals on Saturday and Marty Kavanagh who got the other 1. Playing at that high of a level in Fitzgibbon Cup has brought these lads on a lot.

Thanks, we were obviously by far the better side on Saturday after a very even 1st 20 minutes. But I think some posters on here are being very harsh on Antrim.
After all Antrim only lost 1 of the 4 games v Carlow this year, and got promotion to 1B. That's not a bad season at all. Definitely a much improved side compared to last year and will only get better playing in 1B next year.

I reckonend Doyle was one of them but couldn't remember
And here is the real crux of the problems in Antrim
Our good underage players are not getting enough game time at that level
We don't even take the u21 competition seriously, not even a manager in place yet
Competitive counties have been training since Christmas
Not all managerial commitment problems , The players are non committal as well
They never showed  up for training for the competition  even when Kevin Ryan was eager to prepare them
We are at this level for a reason
Carlow are making steady progress and getting more competitive at minor and u21
Throw in Fitzgibbon cup and good geography in terms of challange matches and things are looking good
Still apart from dealing with Doyle and kavanagh last Saturday we have other problems
Looked of the pace and the ball to put forwards was bad
We struggled in nearly every position
Thought young Rooney and Clark and to lesser extent Mc Manus where the only players up to standard

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

imtommygunn

Stevecw antrim fans are a harsh bunch! You guys have really upped your game and fair play to you. Your number 11 kavanagh was unmarkable and doyle's 4 goals speaks for itself. Your number 14 might want to a bit less theatrical though!

Nah i am glad someone else is saying the same about rooney. I thought he did ok. We have a long way to go but in the same way as a big win won't make us world beaters a loss like this doesn't make us doesn't make us the worst in the world.

Hopefully some kind of lessons will be learnt but we'll see.

Na Glinntí Glasa

i was impressed with Carlow on sat. they were the better team on the day and we could of played them for another hour and still never of got close to them. Fair play to Carlow as, like Antrim, they are a county that is make good progress in terms of their senior county team.

Next years Championship set up will be good and competitive with all those teams all around the same level as each other.
hurl like f**k boi!

Na Glinntí Glasa

i see the two results there from the reserve and senior match between Ballycastle and Loughgiel. Were ballycastle missing a lot of players or how did that happen? i know in the reserves they have been struggling for nos but i didnt think at senior level they would be taking a beating like that.

Was at our game yday over in Cmills. Was competitive enough for the opening 10 mins where both teams traded points but once we got the goal it seemed to knock the life out of Cmills. was very flat paced after that but 26 points, nearly all from play, is a good return
hurl like f**k boi!

Usain

I was looking at results from Division 1.

B'Castle played Lgiel twice in a matter of days and got two fairly serious beatings. What's going on there? Big rivalry and I wouldn't have thought there was so much between the two sides. Town facing relegation by looks of it.

TheGeneral

Ballycastle would be missing several of there seniors from the last couple years.

Couple lads in Australia, A couple in america etc.

and with regards their Reserves, any of the reserves that would have been reserves have been called upon to hurl senior.
Goals win championships

Leyland

Quote from: TheGeneral on June 22, 2017, 03:36:06 PM
Ballycastle would be missing several of there seniors from the last couple years.

and with regards their Reserves, any of the reserves that would have been reserves have been called upon to hurl senior.

Unfortunately a number of factors have come into play - bottom line is we are a shambles at present. A lot of different bodies can be blamed and in true style a lot of it is happening at present. But unfortunately we have a few men who lead our club who have shown no leadership and have allowed this to happen. We did not go looking a senior manager at any stage. In the end up we appointed a lad who is doing his best but did not get the minor job yet was appointed senior manager. Relationships are at an all time low.

hard to see any way back.

A few years ago we were on the brink of becoming a top team

Na Glinntí Glasa

its a real pity Leyland to see the club like that. I had spoke to a BC man over the weekend and he said the same as yourself.

as you say, the club was making strides a few years ago and could of won the championship that day up in Dunloy. I thought they were going to be a force to be worked with from that point with the young players that they had.

hurl like f**k boi!

Usain

Quote from: Leyland on June 22, 2017, 05:47:22 PM
Quote from: TheGeneral on June 22, 2017, 03:36:06 PM

Unfortunately a number of factors have come into play - bottom line is we are a shambles at present. A lot of different bodies can be blamed and in true style a lot of it is happening at present. But unfortunately we have a few men who lead our club who have shown no leadership and have allowed this to happen. We did not go looking a senior manager at any stage. In the end up we appointed a lad who is doing his best but did not get the minor job yet was appointed senior manager. Relationships are at an all time low.

hard to see any way back.

A few years ago we were on the brink of becoming a top team

As an outsider looking in Leyland you seem to have a very high turnover of managers in general within the club. Not sure where that stems from but even some of your own club people who have given everything on the field get a hard time and are harshly treated (i.e Humpy).

Again these are just the opinions of an outsider with no views on the internal politics which affects all big clubs.

I hope that you recover from this current dip but its maybe something deeper rooted within the club that is the real issue??