Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Despite that fella scoring 4-1 i think the number 11 did about as much damage! Just very disappointing as carlow were a lot better. Where all that space came from i dunno but carlow had some very powerful runners and our entire defense just could not keep up.

NAG1

Poor form to draft in late replacements into the team.
Poor form to then watch it unravel and back fire.
Tactically very naive.

Beat by the better team on the day but we didnt do enough to try and correct the obvious changes that were required.

Usain

A few loyalities got in the way of correct team line-up decisions.

Neal McAuley as a wing half forward. Wong decision. Never struck a ball. Heart got in way of the head with this one.
Aaron Graffin should never have started this game. Yes put him on the bench as a really good defensive sub.

Management have certainly lost a lot of respect after all the talk about commitment.

Defensively we were shocking. No point pin pointing any individuals. As a back 6 we weren't at the races.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: NAG1 on June 12, 2017, 09:05:42 AM
Poor form to draft in late replacements into the team.
Poor form to then watch it unravel and back fire.
Tactically very naive.

Beat by the better team on the day but we didnt do enough to try and correct the obvious changes that were required.

This

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Usain on June 12, 2017, 09:31:53 AM
A few loyalities got in the way of correct team line-up decisions.

Neal McAuley as a wing half forward. Wong decision. Never struck a ball. Heart got in way of the head with this one.
Aaron Graffin should never have started this game. Yes put him on the bench as a really good defensive sub.

Management have certainly lost a lot of respect after all the talk about commitment.

Defensively we were shocking. No point pin pointing any individuals. As a back 6 we weren't at the races.

And this.

Antrim Coaster

According to a few Dall lads I was talking to, when Aaron Graffin was asked back into the county squad he texted all the players to enquire if there would be any issues if he was to return. Apparently the players had no issues with the decision.

Carlow dragged our full back line all over the place, their full forward gradually moved out towards the midfield area and Rocky followed him out which really exposed the 2 corner men. Not Rocky's fault but I think we lost this on the sideline.

No tactical decisions or changes were made until Carlow had rattled in 4 goals and we were chasing the game.

NAG1

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on June 12, 2017, 11:46:52 AM
According to a few Dall lads I was talking to, when Aaron Graffin was asked back into the county squad he texted all the players to enquire if there would be any issues if he was to return. Apparently the players had no issues with the decision.

Carlow dragged our full back line all over the place, their full forward gradually moved out towards the midfield area and Rocky followed him out which really exposed the 2 corner men. Not Rocky's fault but I think we lost this on the sideline.

No tactical decisions or changes were made until Carlow had rattled in 4 goals and we were chasing the game.

I havent heard of one person blaming the player in this instance, he has served the county well for ten years so there was no issue there.

Issue was with the decision to bring him in made by management.

hurlingstick

Completely agree with this analysis of the game.

hurlingstick

Quote from: NAG1 on June 12, 2017, 11:48:07 AM

I havent heard of one person blaming the player in this instance, he has served the county well for ten years so there was no issue there.

Issue was with the decision to bring him in made by management.

Completely agree. Great player and a great servant.

paddyjohn

So where to now? Management to leave?

stevecw

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2017, 11:09:42 PM
How many players on that Carlow team are from Carlow?

All of them are from Carlow. We don't and never have done a Kildare and brought in outsiders.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: paddyjohn on June 12, 2017, 12:17:25 PM
So where to now? Management to leave?

I would hope not. we have a good platform to build on for Div 1b next season and keeping the panel and management together at this point is key. A bit of stability is whats needed and not more change.

despite sats result Antrim hurling is in a far better place than a year ago.
hurl like f**k boi!

Antrim Coaster

If the current management are to remain, which I think they will, then they really do need to get the tactics and set up right.

Why was Simon McCrory playing at corner back when he is a superb No.5. and wasn't utilized there. Other lads played out of position..

Re Aaron Graffin - superb hurler for club and county without doubt.

TBH if Antrim are to be considered as part of the new hurling proposals and placed in the section along with Carlow, Laois etc then management really do need to get things sorted on that front.

I don't think that Antrim are ready to step up to that level yet and would need another year in the Christy Ring where Derry are lying in wait ready to have a crack. With the Sleachtneil lads on board I reckon they'll be a handful next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carlow will take Laois in the next round.

johnneycool

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on June 12, 2017, 02:39:45 PM
If the current management are to remain, which I think they will, then they really do need to get the tactics and set up right.

Why was Simon McCrory playing at corner back when he is a superb No.5. and wasn't utilized there. Other lads played out of position..

Re Aaron Graffin - superb hurler for club and county without doubt.

TBH if Antrim are to be considered as part of the new hurling proposals and placed in the section along with Carlow, Laois etc then management really do need to get things sorted on that front.

I don't think that Antrim are ready to step up to that level yet and would need another year in the Christy Ring where Derry are lying in wait ready to have a crack. With the Sleachtneil lads on board I reckon they'll be a handful next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carlow will take Laois in the next round.

Antrim won't be in the CR if the new hurling championship proposals get the go ahead.

Strange decision by Antrim management to parachute a lad in considering their big thing all winter and spring was dedication to the cause. I'm sure the lads who were usurped weren't at all pleased even if Graffin is a fantastic hurler on his day.

Antrim Coaster

Thing about it Johnney, the Christy Ring is Antrim's level at present and if they are to play in the CR next season there is absolutely no guarantee they will win it