Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Poor form for boys at it since Xmas.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 10, 2017, 12:59:54 PM
Poor form for boys at it since Xmas.

You're the manager, you've got a club final at Croke Park to win to get the lads back up to Liam McCarthy cup... it's not a difficult choice, Graffin and Shorty have put in more winter training than most of that squad put together, Graffin and Shorty haven't just walked off the street and on to the bus, I'd imagine they've been assessed over the last few weeks on fitness and stick work...

Shit on players who may feel they have earned the right to start, but there is not a manager out there that doesn't want his best 15 available on the pitch..

Many years ago we didn't start 2 players v Loughgiel in county semi final as they'd been in the States hurling away, Loughgiel got a 7 point start on us after 15 minutes, the two lads came on and we drew level five minutes into second half! Beat by 3 in the end but my point is being loyal doesn't always work out, I don't know if we'd have beaten Loughgiel that day but that's the choice of the manager..

It's always easy looking in rather managing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Two Hands FFS

The management demanded a commitment from the players at the start of the season as it hasn't been good enough in previous years. That has been made very very clear in interviews. So players have been training very hard since November and now 2 weeks before the final they call up a player to the squad who had previously turned down a call up.
That is a massive kick in the balls to a lad who has trained since November.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on June 10, 2017, 02:35:46 PM
The management demanded a commitment from the players at the start of the season as it hasn't been good enough in previous years. That has been made very very clear in interviews. So players have been training very hard since November and now 2 weeks before the final they call up a player to the squad who had previously turned down a call up.
That is a massive kick in the balls to a lad who has trained since November.

It's crap, and we might win the match without them, but we ain't blessed with quality in depth, best scenario would have been to have them available to bring on, should the tie need experience to see the game out...

No winners here, can see both sides of it though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Fair fecks to Carlow, they have taken their chances and kept the points ticking over, we've made hard work for all our scores and been caught badly for the goals.... seem to be lacking urgency from the get go...

Thought the wider space of Croke would have suited our small nippier forwards...

Back to drawing board

hurlingstick

Why we left our full back line 2 on 2 for 70 minutes I'll never understand. Our best player all season (John Dillon) was our full back. Carlow clearly done their homework and know Antrim well enough. Why did our management not leave Rocky in there?

Poor Stephen Rooney had a nightmare though hardly his fault with the space the 2 full forwards had to exploit.

Hectic

Disappointing alright, better prepared team won the day. While I understand both sides of argument about bringing guys in the whole idea of guys buying into commitment at the beginning of the season leans it towards the wrong decision. Maybe easy to sit and preach now game was lost but what is the ask for commitment from the start now worth next year?

hurlingstick

It was a terrible management decision and one that bit them in the arse. Aaron is a top quality player but you have to go with the boys who have given blood, sweat and tears all year. It's really poor sporting ethics.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hectic on June 11, 2017, 07:31:26 PM
Disappointing alright, better prepared team won the day. While I understand both sides of argument about bringing guys in the whole idea of guys buying into commitment at the beginning of the season leans it towards the wrong decision. Maybe easy to sit and preach now game was lost but what is the ask for commitment from the start now worth next year?

I'd say we were as prepared as Carlow, the league showed that, but we didn't turn up...the urgency the game plan wasnt evident..

Carlow just wanted it more I thought, willing to work harder for the ball and they kept the scoreboard ticking over

Hectic

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2017, 08:53:33 PM
Quote from: Hectic on June 11, 2017, 07:31:26 PM

I'd say we were as prepared as Carlow, the league showed that, but we didn't turn up...the urgency the game plan wasnt evident..

Carlow just wanted it more I thought, willing to work harder for the ball and they kept the scoreboard ticking over

By better prepared I mean in terms of game plan. Granted there are reasons that a game plan does not come to fruition but they seemed to have our measure.

imtommygunn

Quote from: hurlingstick on June 10, 2017, 06:55:10 PM
Why we left our full back line 2 on 2 for 70 minutes I'll never understand. Our best player all season (John Dillon) was our full back. Carlow clearly done their homework and know Antrim well enough. Why did our management not leave Rocky in there?

Poor Stephen Rooney had a nightmare though hardly his fault with the space the 2 full forwards had to exploit.

I don't know why you picked rooney out- him and burke were the best of the defenders!

hurlingstick

Rooney and McCrory struggled due to how we set up. Not having a dig at the players but stating that it's criminal to leave 2 v 2 in your own full back line.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hurlingstick on June 11, 2017, 10:36:46 PM
Rooney and McCrory struggled due to how we set up. Not having a dig at the players but stating that it's criminal to leave 2 v 2 in your own full back line.
You'd be wanting to look at who was on the scorer of 4-1!

hurlingstick

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 11, 2017, 10:38:52 PM
Quote from: hurlingstick on June 11, 2017, 10:36:46 PM
You'd be wanting to look at who was on the scorer of 4-1!

Can see where you're coming from .....both our wing half backs were put on Doyle and neither could handle him. But again they were able to waltz through time and time again. They'd have had a sixth goal only for a brave save from Chrissy. We were wide open.

Milltown Row2

How many players on that Carlow team are from Carlow?