Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 02, 2017, 12:21:40 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on May 02, 2017, 12:17:45 PM
Quote from: Megaman on May 02, 2017, 11:15:30 AM
yep, as Skull said happened in Minor C'ship last year and now U21 this year.

Teams who do this in C'ship should be punished.

I'm sure they'll get the standard fine for failing to field, but I'd have a bit of sympathy for clubs who are trying their level best to get a team on the field and fail to do so due to inconsiderate players letting their team mates down at the last minute (I'm assuming that's what happened). The fall out from that is tough enough to deal without getting hammered any heavier punishment wise.

They fielded against us last week, they have minors also i presume? and have also a senior team with a mix of players that would be minor and up that played at the weekend, could be injuries players away and the bank holidays! £300 quid fine?

Injuries and players across the water was what I was told for not fielding, I can remember us having an u-21 team maybe twice in the last 25 years so we would be doing well to get a team gathered up.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Na Glinntí Glasa

makes no sense as they fielded in the first round and then not in the next game.

Im sure the management are disappointed in not being able to field. I do have sympathy for the club because if you have a small panel and a few let you down your in bother.
hurl like f**k boi!

Usain

I personally think the U21 hurling cship should be scrapped unless it gets a meaningful place in the fixtures calendar with more than the one game championship knockout scenario (for most clubs). I heard about one team who didn't train once before getting dumped out in first round. You have to ask yourself what is the point in having a single competition for that age group were you typically only get one game?

Similar format to countess of antrim this year would be a big improvement. Two groups. Play each other once. Top two for semis. Gives the lads at that age at least 4/5 games. If that can't be accommodated. Get rid of it.

Na Glinntí Glasa

its not a bad idea to do that Usain as theres not many games for lads at that age. I played my 3 years at U21 and was lucky enough to get 11 games in total - 3 county finals - from my time but others will have only got 1 game a year from their time in it.

Fitting it into the calendar is tough with the Minor season on top of reserve hurling for the players but im sure the ones not in minor would welcome the extra games.
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

Not sure they would DR

Weighing everything up I think the standard knockout format works best for the majority.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Megaman

I think it should be expanded or scrapped.

At present i dont think there are many teams who put an awful lot of emphasis on it.

NAG1

Quote from: Megaman on May 05, 2017, 09:06:00 AM
I think it should be expanded or scrapped.

At present i dont think there are many teams who put an awful lot of emphasis on it.

As has been the recent trend, it is a tricky age group to manage with university various other reasons. However the teams who feel they have a realistic chance of winning put the effort into it. Those who feel they don't /wont waste time and effort on it and just fulfil the fixture in most cases.

hurlingstick

Good comeback from Dunloy. 7 points down and finishing all level (20 each).

Na Glinntí Glasa

i thought it was a very flat game depsite the score. A good come back to get the draw but it was a game we didnt look like getting any sort of result until the last 5 mins. The introduction of two younger lads from the U21's made the difference and we got a draw some how
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

How come there was so few games played this weekend?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

aontroim

Quote from: theskull1 on May 08, 2017, 11:27:06 AM
How come there was so few games played this weekend?

Yesterday was to be kept free of Club fixtures in all counties to facilitate La na gClubanna - obviously some (like SW board) took the chance to slot in divisional games.

north_antrim_hound

Antrim home to Down

Carlow home to Wicklow

Glad to avoid Carlow again in the semi's for christy ring

If we get past down and Carlow past Wicklow then I think our players are better suited to croke park

More nippy and fitter
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 08, 2017, 02:33:04 PM

Antrim home to Down

Carlow home to Wicklow

If we get past down and Carlow past Wicklow then I think our players are better suited to croke park

More nippy and fitter

What date is the final should we beat Down?  (though they could put a spanner in the works)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 08, 2017, 04:34:22 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 08, 2017, 02:33:04 PM

Antrim home to Down

Carlow home to Wicklow

More nippy and fitter

What date is the final should we beat Down?  (though they could put a spanner in the works)

Saturday June 10th.

hurlingstick

Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 08, 2017, 08:43:19 AM
i thought it was a very flat game depsite the score. A good come back to get the draw but it was a game we didnt look like getting any sort of result until the last 5 mins. The introduction of two younger lads from the U21's made the difference and we got a draw some how

Nigel Elliot is looking sharp. I was impressed with him. Equalising goal from young Molloy was a beaut. Game had no intensity. Was like a friendly.