Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on November 15, 2016, 09:05:36 AM
Tester for the new Chairman here.

St Johns have been a team in trouble for a number of years and they havent corrected it themselves, not now up to the county to do so.

I was talking to a Portaferry hurler the other night and he wasn't overly excited about going into Div2 for the year, I made the flippant comment that "sure you never know, with the Johnnies going down with you, there's always a chance of a change to the league".

Lo and behold, along comes this motion..

When would any fixtures secretary be able to squeeze in 18 games considering the bother getting 14 played this year?

If you want to go to a 10 team league, with the mismatches in that, all teams play each other once then split the league, top 5 play off and bottom 5 play off to avoid relegation.

It would still be 14 games, but at least the mismatches are kept to a minimum..

theskull1

Personally think the 8 team league worked better for the clubs involved in Div 1. 14 games along with all the other competitions is plenty. All games were very competitive.

An extra 4 games is asking a lot from dual clubs especially when you consider the fines imposed for not playing fixtures
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

St Johns have been a team in trouble for a number of years and they havent corrected it themselves, not now up to the county to do so.

County football final venue?

MoChara

Was there decision made on The intermediate Ulster final, the Ulster website have it 20/27th November with no venue or other details

imtommygunn

It was down for cushendall but their pitch wasn't playable due to work being done on it so they needed to refix I think.

btdtgtt

Quote from: hardstation on November 15, 2016, 10:47:45 AM

Club delegates undertake a show of hands to decide this.

An often well choreographed show of hands.

Usain

Quote from: Hand up on November 15, 2016, 12:09:28 AM
After the year they have just had a stint in Div 2 is exactly what they need, regroup sort their issues out and see if they can come up a as a proper team.

Totally disagree with this comment. I've also heard rumours of them entering intermediate cship next year.

What real benefit does that provide to a great club like St Johns??? They should be able to sort their issues out (whatever they are, i don't know the details) and hurl competitively in div 1 and senior cship. They got relegated, that's life. They need to give themselves a shake and push on in 2017 with their aspirations being regaining division 1 status and really competing/threatening the big 4 in senior cship.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 15, 2016, 11:00:20 AM
It was down for cushendall but their pitch wasn't playable due to work being done on it so they needed to refix I think.
Ulster website has it down for 20th November in Cushendall but seen on Curly's Facebook page last night that Ruairi's were fixing their goalmouths and it wasn't available. Sure it's only the intermediate hurling...

paddyjohn

What other alternatives is there in Antrim? Dunloy closed, Ballycastle closed and Loughiel more or less a home venue for the biddies. Glenravel? Ahoghill?

imtommygunn

Does it have to be in antrim? Should it not be a neutral venue?

theskull1

MoChara

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 15, 2016, 02:25:29 PM

I was wondering that myself, the only logic I can think is an Antrim venue would provide the most neutrals attending.

johnneycool

Quote from: MoChara on November 15, 2016, 02:28:13 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 15, 2016, 02:25:29 PM

I was wondering that myself, the only logic I can think is an Antrim venue would provide the most neutrals attending.

Surely Owenbeg is the obvious choice, covered stand and all that??

theskull1

It was a coin toss I believe and the biddies won the toss.

Cmills abu

Quote from: theskull1 on November 15, 2016, 02:40:31 PM
It was a coin toss I believe and the biddies won the toss.

Correct. It's in Antrim. I think it will be Armoy or ballymena.